Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Your Own Outlander Costumes

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    ValhallaLilly
    Participant

Have any of you made costumes yet based on either the book or the show? Or in the process of working on one?
    For cons and such or …just to wear around the house? 😛
    I’ve seen some posts about people making period costumes but was wondering about from the show. And lest you think my interest is purely innocent I do have my owwwwnnn that I kinda wanted to show off. heee

I’m actually super embarrassed by this though because the picture I have of my dress is -awful- truly but I’m so proud of myself I’m sharing anyway!
    Only two episodes had aired at the time and I had never read the book but I was in love with Claire’s dress and it was so pretty on her so I made it in two weeks for DragonCon. Had to make my own pattern (and am not that skilled yet hah). Honestly this does look a lot better in person. Plaid was just some I ran and bought from Joann. Didn’t figure I could find the right plaid so I just tried for the closest color and I’m really happy with it. BTW I was offering money if anyone at DragonCon knew who I was. No one did 🙁 lol next year!
    And I read Terry didn’t like designing this dress! But I’m glad she did because I think it’s really pretty for Claire. Anywho enough about me let’s see your costumes!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      rachely
      Participant

This was long before the series started (but after I read the books). This is a hand-stitched linen shift with gathered shoulder and cuff, my half-boned stays (I have hand-stitched fully boned ones that I usually don’t let sit on my dress form), bum roll, and three hand-stitched petticoats. Two petticoats you can’t see are linen and the top one is a very light-weight striped silk that can double as an underskirt. All of them have pocket slits and I have a pair of half-embroidered pockets sitting right next to me.

Mostly after five years as a stay-at-home-mom I felt like my brain was atrophying and decided to teach myself to do this (I learned to sew when I was 6 or so). Draping, resizing patterns, fitting something as fitted as stays, sewing by hand. It made me remember how much I love sewing by hand. And re-learning math!

I actually had a gown draped, but my slightly-disturbing obsession with Claire’s tartan gown with its bodice on the bias means I pulled it off, since the fabric I was draping happens to be a plaid and lord I love that dress.

I have a brown wool that I think will be an open Robe a l’Anglais with (SHOCKINGLY) cartridge pleats. There will be an embroidered stomacher.

The plaid is a linen/silk blend that will be a lot like Claire’s tartan dress (thank you Terry).

kimgrimes
      Participant

I think you did a great job!!

Elaine
        Participant

very nice

Elaine
      Participant

That’s great, Lilly!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Elaine.
      natashajb
      Participant

I made the white dress as well and did a little photo shoot at Clava Cairn stones in Scotland a couple of weeks ago.

katiecarr
      Participant

I am about to reproduce the wedding dress. My daughter is a hostess at a restaurant where they wear 18th century costumes so I’m making it for her. I have to make a few changes – instead of silk for the sleeves and petticoat, I am using cotton voile so the garments can be washed. I will make the stomacher period correct so it can be removed when the garment is washed. I normally make Civil War dresses so I am very familiar with gauging and can easily reproduce the skirt. I’ll borrow a smocker from a friend and do the sleeves though the ones on the costume are not period correct – I have never seen examples of 18th century smocking. I would love to know why Terry didn’t do period correct sleeves – they could have been lovely made from the silver linen with beautiful lace cuffs. I might just gauge the sleeves to be more period correct. I just ordered several samples of linen for the dress and will see which one looks most similar to the original. I haven’t decided whether to reproduce the embroidery on the stomacher, petticoat and skirt or use appliques that are similar, although I found the flat silver ribbon on etsy. I can post pix once I assemble all the fabrics and trims. I am a pretty good seamstress and this dress isn’t all that difficult so I am optimistic about the result.

natashajb
        Participant

Katie, I just bought silver plate on a spool and purl from http://berlinembroidery.com/ to do a test of the embroidery. I’d love to know what you bought on Etsy though too if you don’t mind.

katiecarr
        Participant

This is what I plan to get:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/189170661/1y-antique-french-x-wide-flat-silver?ref=shop_home_active_24

I may also try this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vin-Spool-Silver-Metallic-Thread-Flat-French-Mint-/151245044424?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2336e83ac8

I looked at the plate you bought and that looks beautiful as well. Frankly, I think any of these will do. Actually, I think finding the silver linen for the bodice and overskirt might pose greater challenges. I ordered a sample of something that I thought would work and am anxious for it to arrive.

natashajb
        Participant

Thanks for the links!

I have an exact match for the linen fabric from a supplier in London. I will share the info once they restock it. Another film bought the remaining fabric a few months ago. I have first dibs though since my friend works at that shop in SoHo. 🙂

katiecarr
        Participant

Please let me know when they restock the linen so I can order some. I received my samples of linen and the cotton voile today. The cotton is spot on for color and texture. The linen looked a smidge lighter and greener. I’ll get the cotton but I’ll wait on the linen. I keep forgetting that Terry had UK sources and I should search there! I can start on the stomacher as soon as I get the cotton and silver thread. What a fun project. Also, I reproduced the knitted cowl and it will be great for the winter!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by katiecarr.
        nolakate
        Participant

there will be pictures,yes? all along the way of constructing? since she’s in a restaurant, how wide will the panniers be? I’m planning to make a doll dressed in the wedding dress and it’s a much smaller scale. I keep rewatching The Wedding and force myself to look at the clothes only!

lynnescottritchie
        Participant

I can’t claim that these were inspired by the show as they were made before the show happened. They are, however, made for the annual Lament for Culloden which takes place at Culloden every year on the anniversary of the battle. I always try to get a flavour of the period, but the outfits have to be made within a budget and have to be comfortable enough to wear for the whole evening. The one on the stairs is taken at Culloden House.

katiecarr
      Participant

I will post pix – will start as soon as I figure out the smocking machine. I can do the petticoat, embroidery and sleeves even without the linen. I am not going to make the panniers as wide as the film since she has to negotiate tables in a crowded restaurant. Attached is a pix of a dress I made for a civil war ball. The wedding dress actually looks more like it was worn over a hoop like this rather than panniers.

nolakate
      Participant

VERY nice!

CelticGlamazon
      Participant

[quote quote=4935]I made the white dress as well and did a little photo shoot at Clava Cairn stones in Scotland a couple of weeks ago.[/quote]

Bloody Fantastic! Brilliant Cosplay.

Julia
      Participant

Nolatake, I’m also making the wedding dress for a 40cm doll. Already started the embroidery for the stomacher, but I can’t find any silver linen (or similar fabric) on nearby stores. Guess I’ll have to buy it online too, or find another solution. I’ll post some pictures soon. =]

nolakate
      Participant

hmm, don’t know cm (American, ya know) I’m using an ashton drake Gene doll, 18″. while trying to figure if any of my BUCKETS of fabric had the linen, I ran into my cross stitch linens! good color, and for a doll, the weave is small enough. I will probably use an embroidery machine for the stomacher cause it’s so small for a small doll. we need a close up of the petticoat – the bottom 2 foot band is lovely. not sure if it’s lace or reverse smocked. this is the doll before I undress her and start working

Julia
      Participant

I see, my doll is a minifee Chloe from Fairyland. I think with the head attached she’s about 18″ too. I found a dark grey linen online but without the silver. I don’t have an embroidery machine so I’m doing it by hand, but it’s looking pretty good so far and it’s fun. For the petticoat embroidery I think I’ll improvise, since the pictures don’t show details. Also I’m trying to find a fabric that can mimic the effect of the “mica” they used for the petticoat.

gtnsleepy
      Participant

Just thought I would share our Outlander costumes with you. These cosplay costumes of Dougal and Murtagh were made for one of our local comic cons. I would love to see other fan made costumes.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.