Terry Dresbach
    Keymaster

this should be interesting.

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      sandyknc
      Participant

I’m going to assume you mean besides the wedding dress! That is definitely #1 for me.

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

No it can include the wedding dress, of course!

sandyknc
      Participant

So, besides “the dress”…I just went back and looked through a lot of pictures. The costuming has really been spectacular. I’m attaching my favorite Claire day-to-day outfit and a Geillis dress that I don’t think we have seen yet.

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

That first one still remains one of my favorites, and it is the FIRST one we made.
      The second one, I can’t talk about yet πŸ˜‰ but I am glad you like it.

ministerscat
      Participant

I like the dress Claire wears to the gathering/oath swearing. Isnt that the first one?

ministerscat
      Participant

Oh and I should state for the record the wedding dress made me tear up. Absolutely breath taking.

dianne_falcone
      Participant

I love pretty much everything Geillis wears. It’s so whimsical yet edgy, if that makes any sense. Loved what she wore to the gathering even though we only saw a glimpse of it. The eye brooch was so perfect for her as well. Only she could pull that off.

Stephaniekhill
      Participant

Of course I love all of the costumes, but the wedding dress is my favorite. So elegant but organic!

Katie (@bunnums)
      Participant

Good grief, you want us to pick? Am I allowed to say Jamie’s wedding outfit? πŸ™‚ Also, anything Dougal wears. His clothes just seem to somehow make him “more”.

I’m sorry if the photo editors felt the need to play with the colors a bit in the stills of Jamie in his wedding clothes. That really seems unnecessary.

Katie

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

I suppose you could have more than one! Oh, how I love the way Graham McTavish wears clothing. Duch an elegant man, with the posture of a dancer!

CelticGlamazon
        Participant

[quote quote=2406] Also, anything Dougal wears. His clothes just seem to somehow make him β€œmore”.
        [/quote]

That is a brilliant way of putting it. The clothes just make Dougal…ungh. Graham is a lovely man, and carries himself in such a regal way. Everything about Graham’s costume in the scene where they’re playing shinty, Everything.

[quote quote=2411]I suppose you could have more than one! Oh, how I love the way Graham McTavish wears clothing. Duch an elegant man, with the posture of a dancer![/quote]

It wasn’t until I read this, that the difference in his posture made sense. He does carry himself like a dancer, and probably why I love the Shinty scene so much. /Team Dougal

I also love how Hugh Monroe’s costume was handled. I was impressed with the way his entire representation was handled, and it was better than I had hoped. I read the part later in the series that talks of Hugh the night before this episode aired, and it struck me in a way I couldn’t have foreseen. Brilliant.

My third favorite costume is Ned Gowan’s costume. The tricorn makes that character for me. I just love him.

martha
      Participant

I love whatever Geillis wears, as Dianne said and also anything Dougal wears, as Katie said. πŸ™‚ But I cannot point the beauty of this dress,which is Claire’s

sonyakhanum
      Participant

I love all of Claire’s dresses, but the one dress/outfit (besides THE dress) that made me gasp was the one she wears in the Rent episode, when she joins in the waulking. The colours are gorgeous and fit in with the scenery so well.

Shanaynay
      Participant

I loved her first outfit in 1743 but I completely adored the dress Claire wore when she went thru the stones…fantastic and fit Caitriona like a glove…my girl can wear a dress!
      I also loved the negligee she wore in the flashback with Frank in (I believe) Ep. 6 in the blush color. wow.

Jamie + wedding garb = perfection.

firstlove
        Participant

The Bride and Groom are my favorite. I always love a bride and groom and these two are just SO special. Your costuming for this show is in a class by itself Terry. The authenticity and research that go into each piece as period correct leaves me gobsmacked every time. Yet for Geillis, she has her own character style. She is most interesting.

A piece of clothing I wish I had, is Claire’s cloak. Again, it is the detail and simplicity I love about it.

Tamlacam
      Participant

Other than the wedding finery, I adored Claire’s coat with the white fur trim. Simply gorgeous!

I have to add that I really love the way Jamie/Sam wears his kilt. I hope we get to see the donning process at some point!

ValhallaLilly
      Participant

I think I notice (in these first viewings) more details of dresses than overall outfits
      Like the knit shrug she wore or the neckline of the waulking dress, the quilted bottom of the petticoat (as I’ve said) the darts on the dress she goes through the stones with. I guess I’m odd I like seams :3

rachely
        Participant

you like seams? I’m obsessed with pleats. Probably this is a good place for our crazies to find a home.

(I pleated an entire skirt. with teeny, tiny pleats. Took me five hours. My back was killing me. I put it on my dress form. Realized the center pleat was off.)

paulabradley
        Participant

I’ve had several projects that ended that way!

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

I am obsessed with pleats, which is why the show is so perfect for me. Need to add some detailed pics to the wedding dress…

Shanaynay
        Participant

Equally obsessed with pleats, but strangely obsessed with the laced seam at the back of Jamie’s waistcoat! When he walks away from Claire at the very end of Ep. 6 after dropping the virgin bomb, it is on full display.
        Excellent! Love the waistcoat!

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

Just posted a close up of pleats.

rachely
        Participant

THANK YOU!

Heather
      Participant

I am enjoying all of the costumes but the 1940’s Claire’s nightgowns/robes/negligees are really beautiful (the “ghost” scene when power cuts off and also when she shaves Frank). I also really like the stockings or hose with the ribbon bows on 1700’s Claire – as seen on the wedding night and episode 8. They are just held up with the ribbon or do you use elastic (was that even around in that time period?)? Would love to see a thread on all of the undergarments!!! πŸ™‚

paulabradley
        Participant

As a historical re-enactor (18th c.) we wear “garters” to hold up our stockings: basically a leather, woven or braided strap that can be tied or buckled. The ribbon Claire has on her stockings for the wedding would work, but something that fine would probably cut off the circulation in my leg if really tied tight enough to hold them up. She probably would have had to hike those stockings up every few minutes. I like my leather garters, which look like miniature belts.

Heather
      Participant

Oops I think my post got lost in translation…I’ll try again…

I really like all of the costumes so far but I am especially fond of the 1940’s Claire’s nightgowns/robes/negligees and the 1740’s Claire’s stockings with the ribbons and bows (as seen on the wedding night and in episode 8). Do just the ribbons hold them up? I can’t imagine elastic was around back then but who know πŸ˜‰ Would love to see a post with photos of these things and a history of the undergarments!!! πŸ™‚

paulabradley
        Participant

Speaking of history of undergarments, those stays (corsets) women wore really were that tight, causing women to “swoon”–I guess they couldn’t take a lungful of air when they needed it. Women really did expose their cleavage that way without shame, but a proper lady would never show her knees or elbows. And they didn’t wear “drawers” either!

Debbie Dake
      Participant

I love whatever Jamie wears. He looks like he owns each piece of clothing. His shirts are worn and wrinkly and just the right shade of not-white (kind of dingy but not in a dirty way). He looks like he’s worn them for days and they fit his body perfectly, from his shirt to his kilt to his boots.

While I’m here, though, can I also mention that the makeup each actor wears is also perfect. So often makeup is visible, on both the women and the men, even when they shouldn’t be wearing any. The makeup worn on this show is flawless. I’m sure there’s something there, but I can’t see it. No mascara, no lipstick, no eye liner or shadow. It shouldn’t show and it doesn’t. They are all beautiful nonetheless.

theladylillibet
      Participant

I too love pleats, and for that reason and others (The braid! The tartan! The colour!) the green dress (round gown?) from The Garrison Commander is my favourite. I just love the clever placement of the tartan on the bodice, and the way the skirt is pleated. I’d really like to know how much fabric went into the skirt, I suspect it was a lot.

tricia_s
      Participant

I have to say that Tobias Menzies looks amazing as both BJR and Frank. But he looks fabulous in Frank’s 1940s suits!

michellibell
      Participant

green blue tartan dress
      I love the colors of this dress – and the knit shrug.
      peach nightie
      And I love the loungewear of the 40s
      gray wedding
      I love the clothing of the 40s. I love this suit with the hat.

Katie (@bunnums)
      Participant

[quote quote=3390]Equally obsessed with pleats, but strangely obsessed with the laced seam at the back of Jamie’s waistcoat! When he walks away from Claire at the very end of Ep. 6 after dropping the virgin bomb, it is on full display.
      Excellent! Love the waistcoat![/quote]

Love the lacing on the back of Jamie’s waistcoat as well!

Katie

Hope
      Participant

I have to say that there is not a costume that I dislike. Even the grungy ones are so very perfect. I could go on and on, but I have to say I was bizarrely disturbed at the end of Both Sides Now when I realized that Claire was going to have to leave behind her beautiful cape. I adore that cape, the weight of it, the beauty of the wool and then the perfection of the lining. I dream about that cape. How shallow, in the middle of torture and attempted rape, but that is what I was thinking. And then I saw the trailer for the second part of season one and in one of the still, she still has the cape! I don’t know how they achieve this, but it made me happy. It’s the small things.

HootinHoller
      Participant

My favorite costume (so far) has to be The Beggar! (sadly I can’t remember the character’s name)

But I covet Ned’s Inverness cape the most as far as a single piece goes. Please can you dig up some photos of it?

DMDixon17
      Participant

I can’t pick one!! I love Claire’s 40’s clothing. Reminds me of my aunt, whom I am named after. She was such a woman of her time and loved to dress up. But because I must have lived a past life as a highlander, I love the men in their regalia. Jamie in his wedding tartan, in all his glory…gave me the vapors. But I have to say the Hugh was outstanding. I loved his character and he did not disappoint on screen. Loved his beggar medallions. I felt like I was seeing an old friend when he appeared on screen. Great job Terry!

Lindsey
      Participant

Ok, I know you’ve said you hate it, but I personally love Claire’s white dress in ep1. I’ve been searching for a pattern, but may just have to piece together something. πŸ™‚

moorland
      Participant

My fav. would be the tartan dress from GC, although I do like the very first that was made for Claire. All that Geilis had so far is interesting and reflects her character (I agree with dianne_falcone! yes, it makes sense). Men costume are just perfect – especially when Terry explained the process of ageing those clothes, I can only imagine what was going there πŸ˜€

sonyakhanum
      Participant

I just would like to point out these red shoes, they’re fabulous! So Geillis. I didn’t notice them until I watched this episode for a second time. I love the contrast with the grey. (I found this image online as I’m terrible at screen caps).

CherylT
      Participant

The costumes are glorious and wonderful. I am terrible at picking favorites but the wedding dress is so grand and glorious! If I was to get married all over again, I would want something like that! The knit bits are great, but I really love the felted tams (I hope that is the correct term) the Highlander guys wear. I have only noticed Sam wear his once, I know his hair is lovely, but would like to see him wear it more, he looked so cute in it. I have one I made in a heavy flannel, and it is the most comfortable and flattering hat I have worn in many years.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by CherylT.
      Lorna_
      Participant

I have to say I am a huge fan of any and all the leather details. As a leatherworker I particularly loved the saddlery. The costumes in general are outstanding!!

tiggeros
      Participant

[quote quote=3412]

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Shanaynay wrote:</div>
      Equally obsessed with pleats, but strangely obsessed with the laced seam at the back of Jamie’s waistcoat! When he walks away from Claire at the very end of Ep. 6 after dropping the virgin bomb, it is on full display.
      Excellent! Love the waistcoat!

Love the lacing on the back of Jamie’s waistcoat as well!

Katie
      [/quote]

And the droughtlander scene from today reminded me of this! Especially in this shot which, to me, shows how important good costuming is to the visual… the lacing down the back IS the centre of the shot, drawing your eye, and just perfect for those 3 seconds of shock at Jamie’s answer ( shock in a good way obvs!) . Would be really interested in the construction of it, and what material you used so that it didn’t burst at the seams every time Sam muscled up!

ellenchristine
      Participant

Details! the details and drape of them all. the way you’ve chosen fabrics, added touches, pleated, primped, painted, embroidered. Frank in a suit. Jamie in nothing at all. you get the drift. congratulations on it all!
      Especially the way you work vintage/antique bits into scenes, like Laeticia’s fox stole. the idea of the eye brooch. the opacity of Gellis’ Gathering gown. so telling for her character. Summo congratulatum, to you and your crew. You will continue to amaze and astound, with every line, every stitch, every color, every fold.

jathomp1
      Participant

I’m fascinated with the tartans and sew with them frequently. Could you share the name of the tartan/fabricator in regards to the newest dress you made with the embroidery bodice and tartan dress? It would be wonderful when you post photos to learn the names to expedite finding a near match! I love the RLauren tartans but find them often way over my budget for sewing!

hdgurl
      Participant

Hi, I’m new here – I usually do not post on forums, but, I am so overwhelmingly impressed with Terry’s (and her team’s) work, I couldn’t resist to post on this thread.
      It is very hard to pick one favorite. I love so many! Everything Geillis and Claire wear is stunning. I LOVE all the jackets/waistcoats…and the tartan and the knitwear… gorgeous!

Claire’s juggler costume was amazing! I loved everything about it, even the hat! The jacket is so stunning… Claire also looks great in breeches… Who am I kidding, Caitriona Balfe would look amazing in a wet, brown, paper bag!

I also love Hugh Munro’s costume (amazing!) and Horrock’s hat!!!

I almost forgot… the fur cowl and fur trimmed coat! LOVE!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by hdgurl.
        pugga
        Participant

I’m new, too, but am obsessed with the brilliant costumes. And this coming from someone who sobbed through the sewing section of Home-ec because it was so frustrating. Or maybe that’s why I appreciate all the detail and thinking how difficult it must be to do successfully.

It’s hard to choose favorites but I loved seeing Geillis’s costumes, especially at the Gathering.

Stacey Bean
      Participant

Hi Terry,
      Just saw you asking on your twitter about an Outlander “Iconic” Costume.
      May I add my pick here? It’s Modest Claire… in her underclothes sitting on the “matrimonial bed” before consummation. It says “absolutely everything” about Outlander.

kristenjones
      Participant

Anything Claire wears while in Scotland is a winner for me. The Paris attire–while beautiful–are not what caused me to fall in love with her manner of dress. It is the pleated wool and the laced jackets that have won me over!

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.