Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Yarn for cape in ep. 8?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Heather
      Participant

I think a handspun wool blend of some kind (alpaca, llama) would work.

Sfgirl
        Participant

I wish Starz would sell the knits Claire wears

Heather
        Participant

I’m glad they are not. There are plenty of fiber artists you can support instead. You can even purchase from the original makers.

ralphi
      Participant

Thanks! And Sfgirl, I found a thread of knitters under Claire’s costuming. They are pretty simple items to make, if you can find the right yarn!

kimberli
      Participant

First thought for similar yarns to use: Lion Brand Homespun (easy care, easy to find acrylic). Second thought: Berroco Inca Tweed (chunky tweed-wool/alpaca/acrylic blend). The latter’s texture not as slubby looking but has a wonderful tweed effect in a chunky yarn.

KristinNoelle
      Participant

I would double-strand with two boucle yarns — one dark grey and one brown. It would be a bit of a pain until you got used to it, but you’d achieve the slubbing, chunkiness and color variation.

Dark grey: http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/us/yarn.php?id=99

Dark brown: http://halcyonyarn.com/yarn/16310700/victorian-boucl-yarn
      OR
      http://www.knitrowan.com/yarns/british-sheep-breeds-boucl%C3%A9

KristinNoelle
      Participant

I would use two boucle yarns and double-strand them. This gives you the slubby texture, the chunkiness and the color variation.

I’d use a dark grey and a brown. Perhaps this yarn in 134 and 107:

OR match this dark grey alpaca with the brown mohair from above:

KristinNoelle
        Participant

Urgh…I thought my first comment didn’t go through. Not sure why the links didn’t work in this duplicate.

DixieCup
      Participant

To me, it looks felted. Like someone used a bulky wool blend and felted it. To do that, you soak it in wool wash, and then dry it in the dryer. It will shrink the wool. It is a technique that also allows the garment to shed water more easily. After writing the last few sentences, I realize that was what the ladies were doing in Ep 106. Only with pee. Big fat duh.

suekirk
      Participant

I used Rowan British Sheep Breeds Boucle in Medium Brown Masham and Rowan British Sheep Breeds Fine Boucle in Masham Stripe. I held both yarns together and used a size 19 circular needle. The Fine Boucle gives it a tweedy effect. The overall color effect is a brown/grey. I think the texture is perfect and the color is close. I did two versions, and both patterns are posted on the Outlander Pattern Central facebook group. I am happy to share here, if there is interest.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by suekirk.
      ralphi
      Participant

Suekirk, I would love to see a pic of the finished product!

suekirk
      Participant

This yarn is Rowan British Sheep Breeds Boucle and Rowan British Sheep Breeds Fine Boucle held together.

suekirk
      Participant

I can’t upload an image. Says it’s too big. How do I then attach a file?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.