Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Which is your favorite Costume Designer in Hollywood’s Golden Age?

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Costuming Discussion Which is your favorite Costume Designer in Hollywood’s Golden Age?

Tagged: ,

• Creator
    Topic
    martha
    Participant

The Hollywood Golden Ages were considered to be 1927-1963

• This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by martha.
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      nolakate
      Participant

cannot even narrow it down. I have over 50 fashion books and everytime I look thru them I find more I want to make. I can look like greta garbo in queen Christina as I sit in my little mobile home if I want.

patterned_history
      Participant

Adrian.

Well, that was easy 🙂

kathleenlynagh
      Participant

I am new to the costume designer world. But I do love Adrian and Travis Banton. I have been lucky to work with a costume collector on some re-created jewelry project and I have seen the Queen Christina gown in his restoration shop. Hours and hours of repair was needed to reattach the beadwork. I was amazed at the handwork completed on that 60+ pound gown.

martha
        Participant

Oh!You know,right now I envy you for this? 🙂 The beadwork is always a very prolonged thing. For example, it took me about 5 hours to make a beaded bracelet, with the peyote-stitch method.

kathleenlynagh
      Participant

Martha,
      Here are a few close-ups of the beadwork. When I saw the gown I couldn’t believe the hours and hours it must have taken to complete. I really admire the costume makers.
      For some reason the picts didn’t upload when I sent the comment this morning. Oh solo much to learn.
      KLH

martha
        Participant

I cannot see the uploads, Kathleen.Could you try one more time, please? 🙂

kathleenlynagh
      Participant

Maybe this will work.

martha
        Participant

Wowwww!!!!Thank you, very much!

julieis
      Participant

Beautiful beadwork!
      I have resisted seed beads for a long time but have finally given in.
      Thanks for sharing!

kathleenlynagh
      Participant

Hi Julieis, last night I was just thinking about how today costume designers/makers are really showing wonderful embroidery work and that in classic film the bead workers produced incredible beadwork. Was it due to the quality of lighting in classic times that bead work showed better on film then embroidery? And now with improved technology in film making a designer can use both. Larry McQuueen the owner of the dress told me in his research on the gown, that the film crew didn’t enjoy filming the dress because of the beadwork reflected sooooo much. Interesting huh!
      Klh

kathleenlynagh
      Participant

bTW, thank you Terry for providing a nice place to chat about design and costume.

martha
      Participant

Kathleen, I believe the magic in the old movies, was due to the fact that they were filmed in black and white. The mysticism that the absensce of colour provides, added to the embroidery, back then.

julieis
      Participant

Hi Kathleen, and Martha,
      In the summer, I take a movie projector outside and watch movies as it is so nice in the evenings. I use a white satin sheet for the screen. A couple years ago I put in an old Fred and Ginger movie and was amazed at what I had been missing on the TV versions. The satins, bead-work, and jeweled accents really popped on the satin screen. Coupled with the elegance of Art Deco, flowing garments, and dancing in some cases, it is a treat to go back and see these old films this way. The absence of color was actually an artistic gold mine for designers.
      I am working on a gray necklace, which is not my typical color of choice but fun to weave in vintage Art Deco earrings, and other bits.
      I do love the work of Edith Head, but what a fabulous era we have to look back on!

nolakate
        Participant

an interesting note about filming in black and white: they had to use different shades because some shades of color filmed differently in B/W. so a dress referred to as red might have been blue for the filming!

martha
        Participant

Thanks for the note, nolakate!

martha
        Participant

Hi,Julieis!I had also the chance to see old movies, like you did and I can feel what you are talking about!This absense enlightened everything! So, to speak From “Roman holiday”, and from “Queen Christina”.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by martha.
      julieis
      Participant

To All,
      We are truly fortunate to have this era of film so close to us, although it seems far away sometimes. And now to experience the costume work, here with Terry for Outlander. Imagine being able to chat with Edith Head, and be able to ask her questions about her creative process!
      Looking forward to the Costume/Podcast topic Terry will be starting for each episode!
      Mixing in Social Media, to document the costuming effort, is a brilliant idea.

martha
        Participant

That’s so true! Imagine how unique is for me.I’m just a girl miles away from Hollywood,in love with costume desighning since the age of 7, far from all these great costumes, from the process and probably I’ll never be able to see them up close. So the oppurtunity that Terry gave us to live in this, to know the problems, to learn the methods is beyond words. I know many will think I’m being dramatical, but how would you feel?

kathleenlynagh
      Participant

I think the Podcast is a great idea. The more we share the better it is to understand the design process. This evening I had a long conversation with my client who is a costume collector. And he told me stories about the beaders and costume makers from the 30-40’s. He has some very old connections and has great stories to tell about the Hollywood days. I have ask him over and over to tell his stories, and that they would great a great book. SO please Terry share what you have, we will all learn from your knowledge.

julieis
      Participant

Kathleen,
      Might be good to video tape your friend, and interview him to capture his great stories. It’s great to go back and experience these in your future as well.
      Thanks!
      J

kathleenlynagh
      Participant

I think that’s a great idea Julieis. I’ll talk to him. Thx

HarriettEl
      Participant

I have absolutely no idea who did the costumes, but I love everything that Katherine Hepburn wears in her movies. Bringing Up Baby is a particular favorite. I always wondered how they dressed her in slinky gowns when women were still wearing stockings with garters. How did they get everything smooth?

martha
        Participant

I believe that this would be Howard Greer.The interesting fact, in this case is that the amazing Edith Head was an assistant to Greer, until he left “Famous Players Lasky”(Paramount)to establish his own independent couture label, Greer Inc.Regarding your question, I presume that they either didn’t wear any stockings or that those were short enough so that they didn’t show or wore somekind of underpants .So to speak here are some photos

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.