Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

The Wedding and clothing

• Creator
    Topic
    outlanderbooklover
    Participant

I’m posting this as I know Ms. Dresbach has posted about this artist before.

Girl Frog is such a talented artist. She has a blog on Tumbler

She’s been posting wonderful drawings of Outlander.

But today’s post has surpassed all that she has done, IMO.

It’s a lovely and delicate drawing of her take on the Wedding.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      tlparadis
      Participant

It’s beautiful! I’m loving how folks share their interpretations and art.

ellenchristine
      Participant

the director made such a visual feast for us, the audience. Especially with the pacing, the flashbacks and the very careful camera work. It was one scene crafted to segue perfectly into the next. Switching back and forth with Frank was so touching, and helped frame Claire’s mindset for us. Oh, that touch of Ned in the brothel, shopping for the gown . A brilliant touch, that rounded out the telling of Jamie’s three conditions.

Michele
      Participant

I loved the wedding outfits, both of them. The dress was so beautiful. Thank you.

Molly
      Participant

The wedding couple’s costuming was as breathtaking as we knew to expect but I was also so tickled to get to see the ‘hoors’ brought to life! For some reason my mind’s eye is lacking in imagination where their clothes (and lack thereof) is concerned. Looking forward to a reviewing to get to study all the extras and note details. I did see some heavily patterned/embroidered corsetry. The dark colours and heavy fabrics are so interestingly different than what most of us have grown up with in ‘Hollywood’ interpretations of prostitutes.

jocelyngrace
      Participant

I have never posted on a forum before so my apologies if I am blundering here. I think the production has been beautiful and have no complaints but one surprise. In bed Claire turns over and raises her arm…..and no armpit hair. It was uncommon for a woman to shave under her arms during WWII. I would have thought it would have been very rare for an 18th century woman. Any thoughts?

egelpaso
      Participant

I love when Claire pulled up the Fraser tartan she was wearing around Jamie’s shoulder. Reminiscent of the time on the horses, when Jamie did the same to Claire!

Dorothy
        Participant

Yes, I thought the same thing! In the first episode — on their first meeting — he pulls his plaid around them both. Here, she does the same thing.

Door
      Participant

[quote quote=1850]The wedding couple’s costuming was as breathtaking as we knew to expect but I was also so tickled to get to see the ‘hoors’ brought to life! For some reason my mind’s eye is lacking in imagination where their clothes (and lack thereof) is concerned. Looking forward to a reviewing to get to study all the extras and note details. I did see some heavily patterned/embroidered corsetry. The dark colours and heavy fabrics are so interestingly different than what most of us have grown up with in ‘Hollywood’ interpretations of prostitutes. [/quote]

I wonder how much of that darker, heavier dressing is a function of being in a cold/temperamental climate? Even the hoooo-ers had to stay warm! While plying their wares, to boot! No easy feat, I’m sure.

kimgrimes
      Participant

I am in Canada and I have to wait until next Sunday to watch the wedding!! Sigh!!!

kimgrimes
      Participant

I am in Canada and I have to wait until next Sunday to see the wedding. SIGH!!

kimgrimes
      Participant

The Painting of the wedding is beautiful. I am in Canada and have to wait until next Sunday to watch the wedding episode. SIGH!!

kimgrimes
        Participant

OOPS!! Didn’t seem like it was going through sorry for the repeats!!

WatchrTina
      Participant

Terry I heard in your podcast that you wished Jamie had not taken off the ribbon around Claire’s throat but I have to tell you I thought that was the most sensual moment of the undressing scene. Somehow the removal of that tiny item made Claire seem more exposed and vulnerable than when the corset came off. A lovely moment.

grahamlass
      Participant

thank you, thank you
      for Claire’s quilted petticoat

grahamlass
      Participant

Can anyone help me understand:

? when is a bum-roll used, for example when Mrs. Fitz dressed Claire ?

? when is the panier used, for example under Claire’s wedding skirt ?

grahamlass
      Participant

? was one wedding dress made ?
      (Not counting the ‘dummy’ created for the opening scene of ‘The Wedding’.)
      The dress had me standing the sunlight with eyes following the silver/gold embroidered leaves to settle at the hem. Brilliant. And the fabric used for bodice and skirt – loved how the texture of the weave ‘read’ so clearly on screen; the cool/grey color so elegant; and the sheen off the repeated gathers. A special honorable mention the the sewers of that near endless hem.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.