Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

The Riding Jacket

• Creator
    Topic
    Vicki G
    Participant

Is it possible to be in love with a jacket? Because, I think I am. Love the cut of the jacket, the way the front buttons and closure are on a slant. I haven’t sewn a garment in over 20 years, trying to replicate this jacket might just get me sewing again!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

Truly one of my favorite costumes.

michellibell
      Participant

I think everyone loves that jacket. It was gorgeous…. the fur lined hood and and cuffs. I think we all want one!

DivingBell
      Participant

When I first saw this piece in the show – it looked knit. Now, when I look closer it does look like fabric. Can you please help with which it is! Either way, it is simply gorgeous!

ellenchristine
      Participant

I hope you don’t mind, but there’s a group of us on FB who want to develop a version of this jacket. There are quite a lot of talented fingers out there, and aside from the wild knitters, there are seamstresses and tailors. We’ll have a go doing a virtual draping, discussion, fit “thread” and see where it takes us. Hopefully, we are not offending you and your team by doing this.

Celefindel
      Participant

Oh my god, new pictures of it! When I saw it in the first season I simply HAD to make it! It fits to all my Rococo dresses and I wore it to the Claire wedding dress this carneval and if you believe it or not, two colleagues in work asked me to make it for them too to wear it everyday in winter!! You should sell some or at least the pattern 😉
      I made it of wood green wool and coney fur I still had for nothing at home and it is stunning to wear. Not only warm as you said yourself but so comfortable and fluffy, I love the design!

DivingBell
        Participant

Where did you find the wool fabric? and is it a “bumpy” Donegal style tweed? I purchased a boiled wool coat with hood and was going to add my own fur ruff and hood lining, but haven’t committed yet. I’m in AK, so I don’t have a variety of stores to shop in – online is easier. Thank you for any help!

Celefindel
        Participant

Nothing special I fear. I am from small Austria and don’t have many available shops here too and a lot of shops from other countries either not ship to Austria or the postage is really high. I used simple thin loden, a type that is called “Tuchloden” (something like “cloth linen” in translation) which is very water repellent and warm.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.