Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Thank You

Tagged: , ,

• Creator
    Topic
    Terry Dresbach
    Keymaster

I just wanted to take a moment and thank two amazingly generous fans who have helped set up this forum.

This is going to sound like I am joking, but I need thank Mandy and Candy. (how is that possible?) Anyway, I am not so swift with the knowledge necessary to set up something like this forum, and they have both been incredibly kind and generous in offering to help set up and run this.

This blog began as a lark, and has sort of taken on a life of it’s own. It is not run by Starz, as a matter of fact we have never spoken about it. It is run by me, and by a couple of fans. Just like everything else on Outlander, things just sort of come together.

We are all busy people, and who knows what will happen, but for now it is a lot of unexpected fun. I am incredibly grateful for the two of them, and just wanted to give them a round of applause.

Thanks,

Terry

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Mandy Tidwell
      Keymaster

Terry,

It’s been my pleasure. And it’s certainly been a learning experience for all of us. I can’t wait to see what comes next!

Mandy

firstlove
        Participant

This is so exciting to have a forum to talk about the costumes for Outlander. Terry, you are incredibly generous to give of your time and have a place to share and discuss you and your impressive teams’ amazing creations. They are a labor of love and your passion for it shines through. Thank you.

Mandy and Candy, you are both so fantastic for making the forum a reality. I for one thank you both! *hugs* I look forward to having fun here!

ellenchristine
      Participant

to Mandy and Candy, and to you, Terry, I doff my proverbial and actual hat. As a costume person, a milliner and an historian, the joys of involded discussion centered around who wore what, why and how is thrilling my little heart every second. Brilliance does not always go noticed, as most folk pay very little attention to costume in popular media.Unless, of course, it’s what X, Y, and Z are wearing on the red carpet. God bless Joan Rivers for that, at least. Clothing is a language that you speak profusely and profoundly, whether it be about a soiled neckerchief, the wedding gown (TWG) or Jamie’s boots. Hoorah, hooray, and bravissima, oh wonderful person, Terry. And to the girls who have made this forum/blog expand and include us, your loyal and awe-inspired fans.It’s so wonderful that everyone is so interested. Thrilling, in fact. P.S. holler if you need a milliner!

sandyknc
      Participant

Thank you Mandy, Candy, and Terry. This is a great place to learn and share. I’m glad I get to be a part of it!

Hilda S
      Participant

Thank you for sharing your amazing talent with us! Your designs are inspirational and I hope to God that your patterns are commercially available to the average Outlander seamstress!

sheepish
      Participant

Hi Terry

I am new here and ‘Thankyou’ seemed a good place for me to make my first post.

I am very new to Outlander. I discovered it in late 2014 (Nov I think) and only as a result of the amazing costumes.

I sew, weave and knit, but my greatest love is dyeing. I dye yarn and fibre, and have a little following in Australia.

Late last year I saw a media picture of ‘Claire’ wearing the hand knitted shrug (? with the collar) and then discovered the chunky knit cowl. The costumes were amazing! Of course this led me to discover the tv series on i-tunes.

Over the last few months I have been dealing with illness and surgery and have listened to all of the audiobooks in the series. I simply fell in love with the story and cannot wait to see more episodes and need more books! It has been a fantastic distraction.

Back to the costumes – the work of yourself and your team is amazing. I am particularly impressed when I read in your blog that you have a dyeing team and a dye room. I have read about how the tartans and costumes reflect the natural colours in the landscape. I am even more impressed to learn that you have a dyeing team responsible for achieving this. To me this brings a great deal of authenticity to the costumes and the show.

This of course brings to mind the wool waulking episode! lol! though I suspect that those ladies are not the dyeing team that you refer to.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thankyou to you for introducing me to Outlander. Listening to the audiobooks and examining pictures of the amazing costumes has been a much needed distraction. I look forward to seeing more of your amazing work on this series.

Thankyou

Sarah (in Australia)

PS Love this forum and look forward to being involved in future discussions. The members here seem to understand and respect that the actors and characters are not one and the same. I have viewed a few other forums/sites and quickly realised that my obsession with Outlander is not exactly the same as some others (I found some quite scary)

Draper
      Participant

Hello,
      I’m hoping this is the right topic for this: just wanted to say how impressed I was by the costumes in the last episode (the Lallybroch episode). For me the best costumes were the working clothes, with patches and what looked like engrained dirt, looking as if they’d been worn and used many times. And I just noticed that the leather belt/strap over Jamie’s right shoulder looks as if its been loosened as he grew taller – you can see the wear marks where the buckle’s been. Love that sort of detail. But I coveted that exquisite embroidered apron Jenny was wearing and was that really a Shetland shawl Claire wore over her nightdress? One of those ones that are so fine you can pull them through a wedding ring? So very beautiful. And so very appropriate.

wifflepoof
      Participant

I too simply wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to Terry for giving us a place to congregate and for sharing your craft.

I cannot tell you how much I am enjoying and admire your work. Combined with your husband’s overall vision, production design, unbelievable casting and your ability to translate the story with such superb costuming has made for an experience I didn’t think was possible.

The usual movie/TV adaptations are typically never as good as the book – or a reader’s imagination – but you all have so brilliantly translated DG’s vision into a really remarkable experience. I keep rewatching every episode and see or learn something new every time. The attention to detail – in every aspect – is what makes it so incredible.

I can only imagine the challenges you and your entire team have but for my own brief experience in the industry where I found myself – completely by accident due to a misprinted production phone number and a very remote, mountainous Canadian shooting location – being responsible for 100s and 100s of extra wardrobe changes for a CBC movie set during WW2. The 50′ wardrobe trailer – was prestocked – by the costume designer and there I would draw from and simply pull outfits together.

What you all are doing is staggering and in such weather and remote conditions could not be any more difficult.

When I read the note on your to do list to design 1000 costumes for extras. I was just in awe. I see your praise of and understand you have the support of a hugely talented team – but I know every stitch, texture, hand, fit and style – before it is designed – must come from your ‘head’.

That you take the time to share you talent with us is just so incredibly kind.

My hope is that your work on this show becomes an event in its own right.

gennifer

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.