Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Terry’s Tidbits

• Creator
    Topic
    Terry Dresbach
    Keymaster

IMG_5334_edited-2

A new wall in our costume offices. Where we do displays…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      cbraunnj
      Participant

[quote quote=8347][/quote]Thanks again for keeping us part of the info.

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

more

Katie (@bunnums)
        Participant

Those shoes are beautiful! So intriguing to think about all the changes that have happened over the centuries between men’s and women’s fashion. (As I look at dozens of pastel colored, silky shoes for 18th Century MEN.)

Outlander America
        Participant

The detail you incorporate into the costumes is magnificent, and you have to create the shoes, too! You and your department do such a fantastic job! Thank you for all your hard work.

I’m sorry you’ve received some negative comments on TW. Those comments don’t represent the entire fandom. Please remember that. I appreciate everything Ron and the entire production team have done for my favorite book series. As a True Blood fan who suffered through seven years of that clusterfuck (the first four years were tolerable), I have zero complaints.

Mistahbue
        Participant

[quote quote=8424]The detail you incorporate into the costumes is magnificent, and you have to create the shoes, too! You and your department do such a fantastic job! Thank you for all your hard work.

I’m sorry you’ve received some negative comments on TW. Those comments don’t represent the entire fandom. Please remember that. I appreciate everything Ron and the entire production team have done for my favorite book series. As a True Blood fan who suffered through seven years of that clusterfuck (the first four years were tolerable), I have zero complaints.

[/quote]

I am a fellow True Blood fan in anguish. Gawd what a mess.

I am so thankful that Outlander has this team – holy cow its amazing quality from head to heel.

Thanks to your team Terry. I swear English doesn’t express my gratitude appropriately.

Tasia

Hadley_LP
        Participant

Wow! So shiny. What material are those made of?

janschurr
        Participant

Terry, did your team decide on the names of the colors (Old Fennel Seed!) or are they the actual names of the dyes used?

katejlongo
      Participant

Terry, when you make shoes, are there fillers that are used to make the shoes fit? I would guess you don’t have exact sizes for each extra.

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

We do assign each extra shoes according to their shoe size!!!

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

Tidbit!
      This is an example of placing a design on a garment and figure out how we want to design the pattern of the fabric on the garment pattern.

Hadley_LP
        Participant

Is that a bit of your drawing or Helen’s there?

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

That is Helen’s rough draft.

Katie (@bunnums)
        Participant

So is the fabric painted before or after the garment is assembled? I had always assumed before, but that’s my assumptions based on modern fabric manufacturing. In thinking about, your team isn’t necessarily held to the same process.

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

In any sort of commercial endeavour, it would be done before, but we can design the pattern to fit a specific garment as we are only making one. It’s pretty special.

Katie (@bunnums)
        Participant

I suppose doing the embellishments after a garment is constructed is more period authentic anyway, right? Embroidery, beading, painting (was that done?) must have been hand done after the pieces were sewn together. Or were there actually printed fabrics available in the mid 18th century?

Katie

mandywhelan96
        Participant

The robe tidbit – Do all the characters (main and extras) get the same level of detail? Certainly seems that way and if so – what a huge amount of work for you and your extremely talented crew!

Seems my avatar is “broken”. I need to fix that now.

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

We do try to keep the level the same, more or less. It is important that you the viewer believe the world you are seeing, so if one of our principal characters is standing in with a group of extras, there really cannot be any real differences that you can detect. They all have to be on a level playing field, so to speak.
        However we’d never make it to air if we did everything the same for the hundreds and hundreds of extras costumes as we do for our principals, not to mention that our budget would go stratospheric.
        So we have tricks. The quality of fabrics is not as good, the construction is quicker, made with shortcuts, lots of small things are cheated. If the camera lingered you MIGHT notice the difference, but so far no one has. The ageing and dyeing has a lot to do with it. THAT is the same for every costume, and it sort of brings them all together.
        It is a HUGE amount of work. Staggering when I step back and look at what we do.

mandywhelan96
      Participant

Wow, that picture of the box of shoes and jackets is mind blowing!!!! French court is going to knock our collective socks off I think – if your tidbits are anything to go by. Ahhh, I am enjoying not being restricted to 140 characters! 🙂

peggyvanslp
      Participant

So if the shoes are labeled “upper”, are they worn like spats over a more functional, basic shoe? For visual interest, do you dress all the extras and then pair them up or arrange them in a scene so that there is variety of colour and dress within the frame (or is that left up to the director)? And what is that wonderful collection of drawings on a wall in your first tidbit above? Lovely!

Many thanks for suggesting the forum for these discussions and for sharing the work of other fabric/textile artists and designers. Makes for a more peaceful and positive online place.

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

[quote quote=8649]So if the shoes are labeled “upper”, are they worn like spats over a more functional, basic shoe? For visual interest, do you dress all the extras and then pair them up or arrange them in a scene so that there is variety of colour and dress within the frame (or is that left up to the director)? And what is that wonderful collection of drawings on a wall in your first tidbit above? Lovely!

Many thanks for suggesting the forum for these discussions and for sharing the work of other fabric/textile artists and designers. Makes for a more peaceful and positive online place.

[/quote]
      Upper means upper class.
      We arrange them in a scene. The assistant directors tend to just grab anyone without looking at colour and that is disastrous. It is a bit of a fight sometimes, but I put my foot down that we do it.

Those are my sketches blown up HUGE and lining a large hallway in the costume department

Katie (@bunnums)
        Participant

I remember you commenting on this in one of Ron’s podcasts (maybe The Gathering?) where there were several women grouped together in the background who were all wearing a similar blue. You felt they should have been spread out through the room. Not that I noticed before you pointed it out, but I can see how a more artistic eye than mine would’ve been drawn to that.

Katie

cbraunnj
      Participant

You are truly a kind & gifted person. So glad you make all of this work!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.