Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Closed -Tea Room (go to spoiler free tea room 2015)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Costuming Discussion Closed -Tea Room (go to spoiler free tea room 2015)

• Creator
    Topic
    Terry Dresbach
    Keymaster

Put your feet up, and grab a cuppa, this room is for hanging out and chatting.
    THIS IS A SPOILER FREE ZONE!!!!!! Our friends who are not able to watch in places other than the US, need a place to go on this forum.
    You can talk about anything in here!

Viewing 124 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Mandy Tidwell
      Keymaster

Tea is one of my favorite things about Scotland. Scottish Breakfast Tea is the best! Can I have a scone to go with my tea? ๐Ÿ™‚

Mandy

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

Mandy, for all of your hard work making this forum happen, you can have two, with homemade jam, and clotted cream!!!!!!

Mandy Tidwell
      Keymaster

I totally plan to treat myself as soon as I land in Glasgow!

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

When are you here?

Mandy Tidwell
      Keymaster

I arrive October 3.

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

The day I leave! Maybe at Heathrow!!

debfir

Terry – that party is at my place weekend of 10th /11th /12th Oct – can’t wait to meet Mandy in real life!

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

Hi Deb!!!! Sorry I missed your post.

4nikikelly
      Participant

Oct 3rd is my birthday! Well thank you Mandy for all your hard work. This forum is going to be fun, I just know it.
      And as for Tea, I like a good smooth Oolong
      Scones: Chocolate chip double the cream.

outlanderbooklover
      Participant

Thank you Terry and Mandy for the forum. I really appreciate you kept your site, Terry and look forward to discussions.

lorirenfro1
      Participant

This forum is a great idea Terry. Well done Mandy on getting it up and going!

mandywhelan96
      Participant

Lovely idea and thank-you to the Moderators and Terry for all the hard work. I’ve been enjoying all the information and just everything about this show since I first heard it was going to be a reality. Just thrilled at how open everyone has been towards the fans!

Favourite tea – my morning go-to is Red Rose but I enjoy many different kinds
      Since scones were mentioned… – one with raisins and that clotted cream would hit the spot. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mandy (another one)
      About me: I live in Manitoba Canada and have been a fan of Diana’s books since my friends introduced me to them when my boys were small so probably 10-15 years ago. I’ve re-read them many times and usually just before a new one is due out I re-read them all over again to remember those little details and usually find something new. <g>

Karin
      Participant

Thank you. It’s hard being in the UK and not able to fully participate in the excitement of Outlander. Will we get the same enthusiasm from the cast and crew when it’s eventually shown here… I’m not sure, our questions will not be fresh to you..? It’s kind of sad really because we have given our hearts and our visions into your care and wanted to squeak with delight and jump with glee with the rest of you….. Now it seems we are last in the race. It’s hard work dodging twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc. Thank you for creating the tea room xxxx

pru
        Participant

That really does seem unfair, that the UK can’t see the show right now. What network would pick it up if it were to be shown, the BBC?

Pru

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

The whole thing is sad.

Hope
        Participant

Dear Pru;
        Just to give you a bit of a silver lining to your can’t-see-the-show-right-now cloud. At least you won’t have to wait months to see the second 8 shows. I have a feeling they are leaving those of us who can see it with a cliff hanger and we will have to wait on tenterhooks for an unknown amount of time to see the rest. Well, it’s a small silver lining anyway.
        I drink Earl Grey tea, decaffeinated. It’s better than nothing, and since I live at high altitude, tea doesn’t brew up the same way. I’ve bought the best tea I can (from really good web sites) and it never tastes like the tea in the UK.
        Hope

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

Hullo Karin,
        I know. It is pretty funny, perhaps ironic, that none of us working on the show can see either the show or any promo videos either.
        I PROMISE to be just as edited when the UK finally sees t, as a matter of fact, I may be able to focus a little bit better.

Kristin
      Participant

A warm thank you, Terry, for the forum, and to Mandy and any other moderators, for helping to get this party started! Totally looking forward to all the fun and interesting discussions that pop up around here. Such a good idea; a place where we can come chill, learn, and engage. I’m excited!

Elaine
      Participant

Thought I’d stop into say hello. Love your blog and look forward to the forum.

inneryarnzen
      Participant

I’ll introduce my self as an outlander obsessed reader and now viewer. Many of my friends would say I am the enabler of the group. I started listening and then had to have people to chat about it with, so made them read too.
      I am extraordinarily, please and surprised at the accessibility of you Terry and to listen to your podcasts on my commute to work (2 hrs one way) Both the podcast itself but the banter between you and Ron.
      my favorite tea is a special blend I order from a small tea room in northern California

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

what small tea room????

elizlk
        Participant

I had the same question … wonder if it’s Lovejoy’s? That’s where I get the China Rose Petal tea I favor …. It’s a tiny place in Noe Valley, with a shop across the street that sells tea, accessories and odd bits, including new and vintage linens. I get most of my handkerchiefs there, along with my tea.

Oh, and Terry, if you are in the mood to explore that area while in SF, you might appreciate . Definitely not 18th Century! This article gives a taste of her work, but it’s a treasure trove of pieces, she has a million ideas and her custom work is lots of fun (including building fabric from scraps.) http://sf.racked.com/archives/2014/06/18/lola-is-the-textile-queen-of-noe-valley.php

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by elizlk.
        elizlk
        Participant

This is the article … could not get the post to include it.

http://sf.racked.com/archives/2014/06/18/lola-is-the-textile-queen-of-noe-valley.php

Sfgirl
        Participant

I’m from San Francisco too. I love Crown $ Crumpets tea parlor in Japantown. The mandarin hotel in vegas does a fabulous tea service

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

So, how long have we had this tea room? Not exactly a hub of activity is it?

@gracesmom48
        Participant

Real life, long work hours and writing my slightly demented re-caps have kept me away until now. I cannot find where to comment on your ‘Scotland’ post, but wow Terry. If I could, I’d pack up and move there tomorrow. When you’re old and grey, you should write a fictionalized version of this entire experience. It would be a best seller. It was such a moving blog and reminded me of Rosamunde Pilcher, my second favorite author after you know who. (When you mentioned having an Aga, I could have swooned!) Thank you!

inklequeen
        Participant

I’ve never taken part in a forum before, and I’m finding it a bit of a learning curve. Terry, I stopped looking at your blog just before the wedding episode, because I knew I wouldn’t be able to see it until after my holiday, and didn’t want spoilers (the dress). I’ve now caught up with the show, and loved it. Loved it! so tonight I returned to your blog, and found these changes, and have been a bit confused about how to join in (so I hope this reply works ok).
        Have a well earned rest Terry…and enjoy your tea!

cainsworth
        Participant

The thread definitely doesn’t move as quickly as Okay did on Skiffy, but perhaps that’s a good thing. ๐Ÿ˜‰ It’s good to see you online again Terry, and I have to say that I’m obsessed with all things Outlander! I’ve actually been obsessed with Scotland for many, many years— ever since I discovered that I’m a descendant of one of the oldest known clans– the MacFies (oddly enough, the name translates as “person of peace with dark features”). They were apparently around as early as the 12th century, but became “broken” in the 17th century and many migrated to Ireland before coming to America (including my ancestors).

I’ve been loving the conversations here. I should have known that the most intelligent discussions surrounding the book and the show would be linked to you. ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope all is well… and I look forward to seeing more!
        ~Carmen (aka “ThraceAce”)

Desma
        Participant

Maybe we are related. I have traced my Scottish roots to King David of Scotland (my 25th great grandfather) , His Mother Queen Margaret and Uncle, William the conqueror (26th Great Uncle)I am also a direct descent of the Napier clan as well, Still finding other links, It is all so exciting, isn’t it!

cainsworth
        Participant

You’re related to kings!? Echoing Sanderson, “VERRA cool!”

I will also have to check out Scotland’s People, thank you for sharing the resource. Things get really sketchy around the time the MacFies’ Chief was killed and the clan disbanded (1600’s). I have been fortunate enough to have some older family members who have been working on our genealogy for a long time, and even more fortunate to come from a family of storytellers who have passed down certain stories related to our history. Of course, this can be very much like a game of telephone, ๐Ÿ˜‰ but thankfully someone thought to write it down a number of generations back. I’ve been checking these stories (and my family’s own records) against records I’ve been finding through ancestry.com and the LDS site.

I’m of mixed race (dominantly African) which is why I thought the meaning of the MacFie name (“dark person of peace”) was so interesting when I discovered what it meant. Of course, it’s just a coincidence, because there were hardly any Africans in Scotland around the 13th century, but still…! As for the MacFie tie specifically, back before interracial marriage was considered illegal in the US (which surprisingly, didn’t happen until many, many years after America had been settled), a free black woman married a MacFie (actually, at that point, the spelling had changed to McAfee)… and they are my ancestors. I need to find out more, but I find the whole thing extremely fascinating. Every fact I learn is like opening a gift!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by cainsworth. Reason: a little more info
        Desma
        Participant

Thanks guys, It was a pretty cool discovery. I insisted that my husband now call me Lady Desma. lol.(it didn’t stick) I actually have traced back to King Edmund I of Wessex, England 922 AD. Fortunately It is easier to trace when you have people who were thought of as important because there are very good records!
        Here is the link for Scotlands people. http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. Next time I visit the UK I have a couple of relatives castles I would like to storm. King David actually built Edinburgh Castle. Do you thick I have a chance. ๐Ÿ˜‰
        Cainsworth, your history sounds quite interesting as well.

Desma
        Participant

so you ladies inspired me to do a little more research tonight and I found out my very distant grandmother was Heiress Beauchamp, born in Normandy France circa 1025. Thought of Claire. lol

cainsworth
        Participant

LOL… that’s great— What cool ties to the book!

sonyakhanum
      Participant

Like inneryarnzen, I’m also an Outlander obsessed reader and viewer. I’m also grateful for all the thoughts and comments that you, Terry and the rest of the cast and crew share with the fans. I’m currently drinking some nice Ceylon Tea, black!

Sanderson
        Participant

Wow! VERRA COOL!

May I ask what your resources are? I’ve traced my paternal roots back to the late 1600’s in Scotland, but my progress has slowed the farther back I’ve gotten. I’m sure it is due to record-keeping and lack thereof of the period — or maybe I should be stretching my wings and using other sites. Would love to know where you have found your info. ๐Ÿ™‚

Desma
        Participant

I have used ancestry.com and scotlands people. Ancestry is great because other people will post the work they have done on their trees and if you have matching relatives you can use the work they have done. Double check the resources and voila, A whole new branch.
        The LDS site is also a good resource.We can chat more if you would like. I love genealogy.

Sanderson
        Participant

I will check out Scotland’s People right away! I have discovered that we go back to the clan MacDonnell of Glengarry in the Lowlands. Ancestry.com is great, but just when you think you’ve picked up the thread, you find some name, date or place that doesn’t jive with what you think should be right. I didn’t really have too much problem with that until I got to about 1750, but as I’ve already mentioned, I’m sure the period’s record keeping as well as which archives have survived time become more and more fleeting. Would love to chat …

sonyakhanum
      Participant

Like inneryarnzen, I’m also an Outlander obsessed reader and viewer and very grateful for all the thoughts and comments that you, Terry and the rest of the cast and crew share. I’m currently drinking some black Ceylon Tea, one of my favourites.

mistressfitzb
      Participant

Tea (or whisky) with sticky toffee pudding. The Scots truly do cakes and sweets best of all.

Thank you for the forum and for your attention to it. I started reading the Outlander series in June after my mother thrust Dragonfly in Amber into my hands just as I was leaving for Scotland. Not one to do anything in sequence, she thought it was the perfect book for a Scottish vacation. What a gift!!! I backtracked to the first book and then consumed all the remaining books by August. Needless to say I stopped going to the gym, feeding my children, cleaning my house, and even sacrificed a whole lot of sleep during this time. I’m an English major (among many other things) and I’m certain I’ve ever had such a rewarding binge-reading experience. It’s lovely to carry on the experience in a new dimension.

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

I’ve had to swear off the sticky toffee. It is insane.
        Oh, just wait until you start reading them over and over, or listening to them…

ctslafka
        Participant

I keep hearing that I need to listen to the books (have read them all a few times!). Guess I know what’s going on my Christmas list . . .

@punkiBrenda
      Participant

Well I have stopped in on several different topics….I think I have posted on several but the one today of leaving Scotland that got me….So again repeat Terry you have blown me away with each and every design and bit of information you have produced for us. Having you as a fan has been amazing but having you as the designer has been a absolute pure delight!!You are beyond dedicated, gifted and a very generous woman..Thank you with all my heart for your gift and for being our rock of insight and delight!!

martha
      Participant

Hi, from me, too.I’m as most of the participants here a fan of the Outlander series, which I discover them, by accident, in my local library 6 years ago.I managed to read the first 4 in one month’s time, but I had to wait for the other 3, because they weren’t translated, and had to get them from aboard-I’m from Northern Greece, by the way-Anyway, I adored the books, as you understand and was looking forward to a tv adaptation, which I was hoping to be good.And I must say, that it is amazing!!!!The whole production is excellent and of course the costumes, dear Terry, are more that I could imagine.You recreated the era! I may lose some in translation-especially with the Gaelic-, but I don’t complain!Anyway, I did a lot of chit chat!Looking forward to this forum. Maybe I’m not a tea person, but I love cakes and sweets! ๐Ÿ™‚

OregonWeaver
      Participant

Another “Outlander” lover here. It was the first audible book I listened to about 4 years ago. I drove my family crazy with the ear buds in. Terry your costumes are mind boggling! I am a seamstress/weaver/spinner and every piece I have seen so far is just gorgeous! You all have done an absolutely fabulous job taking the book from print to film. Your description of slicing the mica for “the dress” and the process of design was wonderful. The wedding clothing (and actors) were breath taking! Thanks so much for your time and effort with this project!

inneryarnzen
      Participant

[quote quote=2220]what small tea room????[/quote]
      I found the tea Lisa’s Tea Treasures in Campbell CA. I have not actually had tea there but do order from some of their custom blends. Safe travels down back to California. I get it too being close to family and friends does make up for some of the less that stellar parts of southern California. My commute to work is near down town la and takes me up to two hours to get to work.

Sfgirl
        Participant

Is that the place in the prune yard near El Burro?

lysaleelee
      Participant

hi there!as weird as it could look , we have our “tea time” at work (some take coffee, the others tea or herbals LOL) but it’s a moment when we share a lot of things (specially teasing each others) I hope to find the same spirit here, without wickedness ๐Ÿ™‚

Sfgirl
        Participant

I’s Lisa’s the place in the prune yard near El Burro?

inneryarnzen
        Participant

yep that is the one, The Raspberry champagne is perfect for a bright spot in a cooler day. I also love a few from a spice vendor in Temecula.

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

We have afternoon tea at work. Very civilized.

jenapple
        Participant

Oooo, I’d love to hear more about that. Sounds like a great idea for the workplace.

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

It is very common in the UK, or at least common enough that their was a piece on BBC about how some workplaces are starting to do away with it, to everyone’s horror. We all drink tea all day long, which is great because I grew up doing that. My mom always had a cup going.

Hope
        Participant

How about elevenses? The Brits I know need their tea then.

martha
      Participant

Well, here people are more in to coffee, but the thing is that I’m neither a tea person, nor a coffee person, so I’m the weird one! :)So, I’ll be having a hot chocolate. ๐Ÿ™‚

rteest42
      Participant

Coffee ok? I am waiting on my first cup, so if I say something random, do understand I was not caffeinated at the time!
      I woke this morning, and for some reason, recalled–FORUM. Didn’t Terry say there was a forum? I had replied two or three times on the blog SINCE you made the change, and totally blanked out on that. So, I found it this morning while I am waiting for my java. (It is a slight bit hidden; visually, it’s so small, thin and inconsequential that you have to be LOOKING for it…which may be a really GOOD design choice, after having read some other comments on some posts…) Ok. The heavenly smell of coffee is wafting this way. I am off to seek knowledge! I am quilting today! YAY!

rteest42
      Participant

Ok, maybe not edited but on a bit of a delay??… I have my cuppa now… What to do next. Hmmmm. Handwork while watching 108 again???

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by rteest42.
      BLB
      Participant

Thank you, Mandy, for moderating the forum. Thank you, Terry, for the wonderful details about the costuming. I am fascinated by all of it. I was not a tea drinker until I was stationed in West Berlin while in the USAF. I learned to drink it with milk and sugar but now just stick to a little sweetener. My favorite tea is Typhoo, a British black tea that I can buy at my local Air Force base commissary. Can’t start my day without it now.

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

Ron and I drink Bewley’s, and Irish tea. ymmmm.
        But I am always up for a Latte!

nsrhoads
      Participant

I just love everything about this site, thank you to Terry and everyone who makes it possible. What an incredible privilege to get such a close look at the costuming and everything that goes into the process.
      I actually had a tear in my eye when I read your farewell to Scotland Terry. It has been a dream of mine to visit, and I kind of wish I had made it over before the craziness of the show changes any of the quaint bits that might go for a more tourist- friendly atmosphere.
      Anyway, thank you for making us feel like we are a small part of what happens over there, it is a pleasure to be included. Safe travels!

mque
      Participant

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to interact with you, Terry! I appreciate your generous spirit & love reading about your creativity & costuming genius. Thank you, Mandy for helping moderate our clan. I drank a lot of tea growing up mainly Orange Pekoe, but rarely now that I’m older. When I do drink it now it’s a comfort thing when I’m feeling sick & I go for a lemon herbal. Looking forward during the hiatus to reading more of your posts & maybe asking a few questions. I loved your post about Scotland. You have a Scottish heart.

Dawn
      Participant

I love your blog! It’s been so wonderful to see behind the scenes of the show. It’s quickly become one of my favorite blogs and I always enjoy when it shows up in my feed. I look forward to seeing how you work out Season 2. Thank you for sharing your work and process. If you ever need any help here in LA, organizing fabric and whatnot, I volunteer!

lilybily
        Participant

I so enjoy this blog. It is beautifully done and compliments the show so well.

My favorite tea is darjeeling with milk. ๐Ÿ™‚

lilybily

Katie (@bunnums)
      Participant

I don’t usually drink coffee/tea (just a personal taste thing, though there are some herbal teas I’m starting to like), so I would normally pull up a chair with a cup of hot chocolate. But as it’s nearly 90 degrees here outside Boston, I’ll drink ice cold fresh lemonade today.

Cheers!

Katie

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

90 degrees at this time of year??

Katie (@bunnums)
        Participant

It was ridiculous over the weekend! We were supposed to go apple picking (a family autumn tradition), but I just couldn’t do it in the summer-like weather. Today (Monday) it’s back into the 60s. So, apple picking next weekend. ๐Ÿ™‚

Katie

inneryarnzen
        Participant

Hold on to your hat Terry and drive slowly down the coast, we are going to have Santa Anna’s this weekend! and some crazy hot weather

Debbie Dake
      Participant

Good afternoon everyone ~ I just finished a couple of cups of what I think might be a ginger tea that originally came in a lovely little tin. My daughter wanted to take the tin with her to college so I placed the tea in another container but didn’t mark what it was. I am unable to smell things anymore due to a few sinus surgeries (but I’m working on regaining at least some of my sense of smell back, I miss it so) so I couldn’t smell it, and I believe my sense of taste is somewhat compromised without being able to smell things. But I made a pot of it anyway and added some honey to it and yum! I’ll have to ask Lydia what tins she has so I can try to figure out just exactly what it was. I hope you all enjoy your day (or evening, depending on where you are). Terry, I enjoy your blog and your talents as much as (and sometimes more than) anything else related to Outlander; you make us all fee so welcome. Thank you ~ Debbie

Desma
      Participant

Terry, As an actress I have always loved the costume design aspect of production. Putting on my wardrobe always helped me go into character and was a very important part of the process for me. Your costumes have blown me away on Outlander, They draw me in as much as any other part of the show. They have inspired me so much I am commissioning a nice woman to make me a few of the knits. Scotland holds a special place in my heart. I was married at St.Cuthberts Cathedral at the foot of Edinburgh Castle and have traced my roots back as far as my 25th great grandfather King David and 26th great uncle William the Conqueror. Thanks for being so accessible. You and your husband have truly done something magical with your series.

kimgrimes
        Participant

New favourite tea is pumpkin spice brulee, it is delightful!!!

peggymarshall
      Participant

Just loved Claire’s wedding dress! The acorn and oak leaves motif is Celtic going back to Druid times. I’m a geologist, so mica sparkle was an added bonus for me! I’ve been drinking an artisan tea by Lisa Scruggs of Loudoun County, Virginia. It’s made from Assam Black and Sencha Green teas with dried apricots, citus peel and marigold – named “Ambrosia” and every bit of that!

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

You are absolutely right about the Celtic Lore. Oak is the most sacred and magical of all trees.

AllisonL
      Participant

I’ve been an Outlander fan since, gads, the mid 90s when I was casting about for something to read and picked up Outlander at a grocery store. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve been deeply impressed with the costumes thus far–as a historical re-enactor and independent researcher specializing in metal thread embroidery and costuming, I was especially thrilled with the wedding dress embroidery! I look forward to picking Terry’s brain over the hiatus about the work you’re doing on Season Two consumes. Will Liz be able to chat here with us? I would love to talk historical embroidery with her, too.

Hi Allison – I pop in here now and again. But maybe we’d be better chatting on one of the costume pages to avoid spoilers. I’ll check the email notification of follow-up replies and we can take it from there.

mistressfitzb
      Participant

Terry, I’ve been thinking a lot about Claire’s bosom and wondering why it was acceptable to be so forthcoming, so to speak, about that part of the female anatomy but so modest from the hips down. This comment clearly shows my naivete about the history of fashion, but perhaps you have some insights.

Pogonip
      Participant

For those of you in northern California, can I put in a plug for http://www.columbiakates.com/ in Columbia, California. Kate and I worked together for several years at the world’s biggest on-line auction before she left to start her place in Columbia. Sadly, she became ill a year or two after she opened, and she passed away. A mutual friend had been working for her, and took over ownership and has been growing ever since.

It’s a unique place, and a guaranteed good time in a tiny town that always has something going on. If you go, please give a toast to the memory of Kate McMahon, someone I still miss. Say “hi” to Clare, who now owns the shop.

mistressfitzb
      Participant

Really enjoyed the Hugh Munro segment. I’m wondering what we’re seeing on this back, above the arrows. It looks like a peg holding together the belt. Is it?

Also, I’m amazed at the subtleties of communication in the series so far. Of course, film is known for communicating through dialogue, body language, facial expressions, etc. All of the actors do this so incredibly well. But where we would normally expect a bit of explanatory help – like subtitles for the Gaelic – it’s lacking… and strangely not terribly disturbing. We’re already trusting that the sense will be made clear. I think the Hugh Munro scene reinforces that theme.

peggymarshall
        Participant

Looks like a small stag horn! I have a Scottish leather belt that has a staghorn peg closure. For those who like cold tea, I went to Teavana and got a 50/50 mix of their Blueberry Bliss and Strawberry Lemonade Rooibos Tea. It makes the yummiest ice tea!

islandchickny
      Participant

Terry, thanks for creating the perfect spot for a Sunday evening tea, tonight in my cup it’s earl grey & steamed milk (unfortunately Sbux). Mandy if you are sharing scones, please pass one down & the raspberry jam! Terry, do you have any recommendations for a good cuppa or a high tea in Vancouver, BC? Just landed 2wks ago & taking suggestions on just about everything.

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

Tea is easily accessible in Vancouver because of its close connection to England. But when I lived there, I just made it at home as usual. I do know all the good hotels have a nice high tea.

ellenchristine
      Participant

Hello, all. Anyone coming to Comicon in NY? It would be grest if we could have a cup or dram together.

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

I thought that already happened! No?

ellenchristine
        Participant

Oct. 9-12 http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/
        fyi. If any of the fans are going, this is my first delightful time. Sunday is my day with my friends’child. He is going to show me all the ropes!

peggymarshall
        Participant

Comic Con in NY is Oct 9-12th. That’s a bit too soon for me to make arrangements to get there, but your idea is a good one! Should we plan a group tea on this side of the pond when Terry returns?

ellenchristine
        Participant

Anyone ever wanting to do it up in NYC, I’m here!

Desma
        Participant

I might take you up on that one day. I adore NYC.

@punkiBrenda
      Participant

Well good morn Terry hope with that to do list you are able to take one day at a time in the few remaining Scotland days you are still there…Cuilean will need lots of love to hold onto till you return. You have been an extremely busy lady that is in much need of downtime…So on that note just this, Thank You from very depths for making this journey a very exciting fun and learning experience.You have been a blast from day one you jumped on twitter!We had the best shoe show, slumber party plans, priest hole talks dungeon talk and lots of learning but it aint over as they say so glad to be part of this family our Outlander Clan! Thank You & tell Ron epi 8 was AMAZING!!

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

Thanks Brenda, it really has been a blast. You guys got me through a lot of “alone time”. Long road ahead for all of us. Here’s to the next 6 or 7 years…

awabbit
        Participant

Hi Terry,
        Does your comment about the ‘next 6 or 7 years’ give us a “wee” hint????
        Ahhhh!

ctslafka
        Participant

From her lips to God’s ears, yes?

ellenchristine
        Participant

oh, from your mouth to God’s ears…..6, 7 or 9. Unless DG keeps writing and then it’s just going to have to be the international ONLY show!

peggymarshall
      Participant

I’m sure that Terry wants to wind down and enjoy her last few days in Scotland. However, I have a lovely suggestion for your next visit (or encore honeymoon)? Visit Kinloch Lodge, the home of Claire and Godfrey Macdonald. Claire is a charming hostess, and a renowned and published chef. The location on the Isle of Skye is heaven! You can hum the Outlander theme song… See: http://www.kinloch-lodge.co.uk

awabbit
        Participant

Re: Kinloch Lodge.
        We stayed there for 2 nights on a driving tour of the Scottish Highlands in late September/October 1983.
        At the cocktail hour on the first evening, Lord and Lady MacDonald were welcoming and visiting with hotel guests on the front lawn with their Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.
        She graciously signed her cookbook Seasonal Cooking From the Isle of Skye (it had just been published) for me. I use it for inspiration to this day. We loved our stay there. It was very romantic.
        On the ferry to Skye, my husband insisted on humming the Skye Boat Song. (Mercifully, he’d forgotten the words.)

Louiseluvsyarn
      Participant

Thanks for such a fabulous post Terry. I am away from the UK and miss home very much. When we return (2-3 years maybe) we will be settling in Scotland and all the things you mention, from the howling wind to the abundance of daffodils and tulips (and the general way and pace of life) make me want time to hurry up and take me home!

I also love San Francisco – not so many spring flowers but there can still be a stiff wind! Enjoy your vacation and when you come home maybe there will be a wee sprinkling of snow at your gorgeous house.

Off to pour myself a cup of Yorkshire Tea – which is the nearest I can get to home in the heat of the Middle East at the moment ๐Ÿ™‚

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

Welcome Louise. It is a cold and damp night here, nothing like the Middle East. 2- 3 years? wow.

Louiseluvsyarn
        Participant

I’d have cold and damp! Still 38 degrees Centigrade at the moment- can’t wait for it to cool down – we only have two seasons here HOT and HOTTER! Back to the UK for the weekend though – will bring back a suitcase of tea and yarn!

x

Hilda S
      Participant

Hey Terry! As a Sign Language Interpreter I was interested in the Homesign that Jamie and the Beggar used…there were glimpses of actual current sign in their dialogue. Was someone on set who was an interpreter or was it a go with the flow scene???

euromandy
      Participant

Good evening all, it’s past tea time, so I’m having an ale!

I’ve been in love with Scotland since I first went there about 10 years ago, especially the Highlands. It’s just such a magically beautiful place, there’s no other way to describe it! I’d really love to plan a trip again soon, a backpack-ish sort of thing to villages and interesting places. I’ve done most of the touristy bits already. Do any of you friends have recommendations for great out of the way spots or beautiful hikes (or perfect little pubs!) that can’t be missed?

Desma
        Participant

Hey there I have been to Scotland a couple of times. I was even married in Edinburgh and honeymooned in the Highlands and the Isle of Skye. The Isle of Skye had a great place called the Stein Inn. Built circa 1791, Fantastic views and the pub was right there on the bottom floor. The Clachaing Inn is also a great place to stay and had a fun pub and restaurant. I can give you more detail and more places if you would like and some good hikes. Let me know. I can also send you pics of all these places. Scotland is magical.

ctslafka
        Participant

Desma, I’m not the OP but would love more info/photos. We are hoping to get away to Scotland soon (just have to see when the grandparents can take the kids ๐Ÿ˜‰ ).

Desma
        Participant

This is the Isle of Skye, the Stein Inn and the vie

Desma
        Participant

A couple

Desma
        Participant

Clearly I had some upload errors. Just saw this ctslafka. Get you info and more pics soon

Desma
        Participant

Rannoch Moor, The Highlands

euromandy
        Participant

Beautiful! Thanks for the suggestions!

Desma
        Participant

I can add even more and give you names of fun pubs and restaurants if you would like?!

michellibell
      Participant

As a Texan who drinks ice tea, I can honestly say I’ve never had a cup of hot tea, nor afternoon tea service. If one were to start (once it gets colder), what tea would you recommend?

ctslafka
      Participant

I was never a tea drinker until I finally kicked the Diet Coke habit last year. Now I do coffee in the morning and some nice peppermint herbal tea before bed. Husband tells me we are taking a trip to Scotland soon – can’t wait! What are my must-sees?

Love this blog and forum. Everyone involved w/ Outlander has been so open with the behind-the-scenes peeks! I have never been much of a TV watcher so I don’t know if this level of interaction with fans is typical? If not, then how lucky are we?!

Joanna
      Participant

Thank goodness it’s apple season! Pulling up a virtual chair with a cup of hot cider looks much more sophisticated than a can of Diet Coke.

Thank you Terry for sharing your experiences with us, both the personal and professional. Its delightful to see someone who has such pride and joy in their work.

I’m curious where your interest in costume design began. Did you always enjoy working in textiles or did that come later? The affection apparent in the item you wrote about Mrs. Fitz made me wonder if you had been inspired to create early on by your own personal “Mrs. Fitz”.

redgiraffe
      Participant

Hi Terry, just wanted to say โ€”ย Thank you. (Tea is coming, just on boiling on the stove.)

I only found your site a few days (ta Jezabel) and have since read it from back to front. Now my normal pattern when finding a great blog is to lurk and not comment but the unbelievable gall of some of your commentators prompted me to add to the chorus of others sending you support. That vitriol is what keeps me from speaking much online but silence is also complicity; you are creating a wonderland for the imagination of fans around the world. Standing by while little minds sully the work that goes into that just doesn’t seem an option.

So. In the hope that one more compliment can offset the weight of unpleasantness โ€”ย Your work is beautiful. Your pictures, anecdotes and imagery are a welcome addition to my new routine of watching every Outlander episode twice, rereading the books and wondering if I can find a farmhouse like yours in Scotland. The pleats alone on that wedding dress make me want to weep.

So while I might not comment again, please know that you have made this long-time fan ecstatic that your deft hand is guiding the look and feel of the series.

Thanks Terry ๐Ÿ™‚

Desma
      Participant

Stein Inn on the isle of SKye and view outside its front door.
      In one day we experienced hail, rain, sleet, snow and then sun. This was in late March. Still beautiful.
      Tea and Whiskey weather.

inneryarnzen
      Participant

[quote quote=2676]Is that the place in the prune yard near El Burro?[/quote]

Yes I am pretty sure it is, I have only ordered from them having first tried their teas at a tea house in southern California

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

[quote quote=2834]Hi Terry, just wanted to say โ€” Thank you. (Tea is coming, just on boiling on the stove.)

I only found your site a few days (ta Jezabel) and have since read it from back to front. Now my normal pattern when finding a great blog is to lurk and not comment but the unbelievable gall of some of your commentators prompted me to add to the chorus of others sending you support. That vitriol is what keeps me from speaking much online but silence is also complicity; you are creating a wonderland for the imagination of fans around the world. Standing by while little minds sully the work that goes into that just doesnโ€™t seem an option.

So. In the hope that one more compliment can offset the weight of unpleasantness โ€” Your work is beautiful. Your pictures, anecdotes and imagery are a welcome addition to my new routine of watching every Outlander episode twice, rereading the books and wondering if I can find a farmhouse like yours in Scotland. The pleats alone on that wedding dress make me want to weep.

So while I might not comment again, please know that you have made this long-time fan ecstatic that your deft hand is guiding the look and feel of the series.

Thanks Terry :)

[/quote]

Aren’t you lovely, thank you!

firstlove
      Participant

What a lovely place to “chit chat” over a cuppa. Well, my favorite is Twining’s Darjeeling. I have it with honey and milk. I drink it a lot throughout the day. Thank you Terry for giving us a place. It has been fun reading these posts, but redgiraffe, I am so glad you came out of “lurkdom” even if it is only this one time to write those words. It is important. Thank you.

DMacKnight
      Participant

Terry,
      Just a quick hello and thank you for this. As a “non-industry” person but one who works with architects and interior designers, I’ve been awed by your use of color, texture and your alignment with the production side of the show. And it’s lovely to see your collaboration with your husband and the mutual respect you both obviously have for each other. Thanks for providing a wonderful example of collaboration between work and life-partners. Enjoy your time back in the States.
      Diane

awabbit
      Participant

Is anyone having difficulty accessing the forum posts?
      I get ‘error message #404 page not found’ when I attempt to read the comments about Terry’s sketch of Claire’s 1940’s coat.
      Any suggestions for how to correct this?
      Thanks, Anne in NoHo

suzzyq39
      Participant

Hi all, hope everyone is having a good night. I had a question on some of the props used for example – does anyone know what type of glassware is used in episode 107/108? It’s just beautiful – I was also wondering about the cup used when the “highguys” are traveling. It had a blackish tinge – wasn’t sure what it was made from. Thanks …

juliesheil1
        Participant

I have _exactly_ the same questions. I think the drinking vessels on the road are horn. My dad was a farmer and they look very familiar to me. What do you think? The other glasses are gorgeous. Went looking for something similar the other day – no luck yet.

Julibee527
      Participant

Hi, Terry, I’m a bit late coming to tea, but I brought some scones. I’ve loved Outlander so far, and am so amazed at the costumes that you have created. The tartans, great kilts, all of the textiles bring me such joy to look at. The wedding dress was the piรจce de resistance. I gasped seeing all those lovely pleats. It brought back memories of me sewing up my wedding dress. A labor of love. Every costume in the show is filled with your passion. Thank you for sharing it all. I look forward to more! and more!
      Travel safely back to LAX…enjoy SoCal till you’re back in Scotland again.
      Best to you.

meaganev
      Participant

Well, I started posting on another thread so I thought I’d swing by and introduce myself. My name is Meagan. I first read Outlander when I was 18, and have been obsessed with it for the past ten years. When I heard it was going to be adapted into a TV series, I yelled so loud I woke up my napping child…and didn’t even care. There also might have been tears involved. I don’t know. Maybe ๐Ÿ˜‰

It’s late, so I’m enjoying a nice glass of Pinot Noir, and listening to a thunderstorm roll in.

For my tea, I like Davidson’s Irish Breakfast with a splash of cream and a bit of sugar. As much as I love coffee, it can’t compete with that!

Also, Terry, your work is just astonishing. Add the information from the blog and podcast, and I’ll never look at costuming and design the same way again. Thank you (and your team!) for your dedication and consideration.

Loved the discussions that I’ve read so far. Can’t wait to be a part of the conversation!

juliesheil1
      Participant

I have developed a love of fermented chai and have it with soy milk and honey. Love all those flavours – star anise, cinnamon, cloves etc. Reminds me of Christmas. Have even had a go at making my own. Had some great “almost” there moments! Too much black tea can overpower the spices. Anyway still going and hoping to get the recipe “right”. Anyone else had a go at making it?

elf1980
        Participant

Oh, I love Chai! I purchased a mix last year, but when I finished that, I started playing around with my own. I’ve finally got it down to my liking (and saucepan size) –

8 cups water
        15-20 cloves
        15-20 cardamom pods, crushed open with a mortar and pestle
        10ish black peppercorns, crushed in a mortar and pestle
        approx. 5″ piece of Cinnamon bark, crushed into small pieces in mortar and pestle (cinnamon quills can work in a pinch, but the bark has a much better flavour – should be able to get them from an Indian food store).
        approx. 2″ piece of fresh ginger, sliced/chopped roughly.

I put all this in the saucepan the night before, and then turn the stove on the next morning as I’m heading out for my walk – approx. 45 min-1hr on medium heat with the lid still on. When I get back I add soy milk; approx. 3 cups of it, and leave it to simmer with the lid off for maybe half an hour. Lastly, I add some loose black tea leave – about 1.5 tablespoons worth, put the lid back on, turn of the heat and leave it to steep for a while.

This makes quite a bit obviously. I strain it through a sieve and cheesecloth, and then put it in a jug in the fridge. When I want some, I heat up a cup of it in the microwave and add the honey once hot – 1/2 to 1 teaspoon per cup. In summer, the honey goes in while still warm (either pre or post straining), and I drink it iced.

I think Chai is one of those totally subjective things, so I would say play around with it. I like it quite spicy, hence the peppercorns, and quite a bit of fresh ginger. I’ve kept meaning to add star anise, but keep forgetting to buy some so it hasn’t happened yet ๐Ÿ™‚ . I will say that I had a lot of trouble with the tea overpowering the spices in my first attempts until I read somewhere to simmer/infuse the spices in the water and say milk and add the tea last – that’s really worked for me.

If you try it, let me know how you get on. Good luck!

Theresa
        Participant

Thank you for this recipe! Can’t wait to try!

Ari
      Participant

Hello all of you, I am new in your forum and just wanted to drop a note to say “Hi” and introduce myself. Maybe even over a cup of tea. Probably I need to apologize beforehand as I am not a native speaker of English my posts might sometimes lack of sophistication. I will be happy to contribute to the forum as I am eagerly following the conversations, articles and discussions on the show and teh costumes etc. Thank you for adding me to the forum. Looking forward to be part of your group! I am adding a pic of my last visit to Scottland in May this year.
      – Ari

shoogieboogie
      Participant

Greetings from Tennessee! My name is Jennifer:) I tend to lurk around, but I may as well start participating. I have so enjoyed reading Terry’s blog and getting a glimpse at the process of creating such a beautiful world. These books have been a part of my life since I discovered them on my mom’s bookshelf when I was 16. Almost 20 years later and I am still rereading these suckers!

I love that you do the podcasts with Ron! You guys are fun to listen to. It really adds to the experience. The costumes are breathtaking!

As for tea, a little Earl Grey with cream and sugar hits the spot!

patsyann55
      Participant

Hi. I’m Patsy and I’m an Outlanderaholic… Finally – I have the courage to admit my addiction.

I am not a long-time Outlander fan. I was aware of the books but I finally decided to start reading them when Starz began to advertise the series. I just started moby so I will be truly out of Outlander reading/viewing material very soon:(

I am enjoying this blog on so many levels! My husband and I work and volunteer in the living history field so I sew and knit most of our period clothing and accessories. Everything here is so relevant to my work and my hobbies. Thank you Terry for sharing your passions with us!

Snow is predicted for my little slice of heaven this week so it is officially cold enough for my evening tea time. One of my favorites is Republic of Tea’s Black Currant Cardamom Green Rooibos.

Selkie
      Participant

Hi, Terry! I live in Scotland and am so sad that we don’t have the series yet. ๐Ÿ™ I am following your wonderful blog avidly, though! When you return to Scotland, I would love to recommend some ‘wee gems’ of tea rooms for you to try

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

[quote quote=2808]As a Texan who drinks ice tea, I can honestly say Iโ€™ve never had a cup of hot tea, nor afternoon tea service. If one were to start (once it gets colder), what tea would you recommend? [/quote]

what is that you say???????

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

[quote quote=2832]Hi Terry,
      Does your comment about the โ€˜next 6 or 7 yearsโ€™ give us a โ€œweeโ€ hint????
      Ahhhh![/quote]

No, just hopeful. You don’t often work on a show based on 7 books.

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

[quote quote=2808]As a Texan who drinks ice tea, I can honestly say Iโ€™ve never had a cup of hot tea, nor afternoon tea service. If one were to start (once it gets colder), what tea would you recommend? [/quote]

Sorry, just see if you can find some PG Tips, it is pretty easy to find. You MUST add milk and sugar, of course.

peggymarshall
        Participant

I gave an iced tea suggestion of a Teavana (mall chain store) mix above. But my day-to-day and just about favorite add to (i.e., splash of mango juice) is Bigelow’s Constant Comment. I put 3 tea bags in a large teapot of boiling water, let cool, and add spring water up to 2 quarts.

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

[quote quote=3225]Well, I started posting on another thread so I thought Iโ€™d swing by and introduce myself. My name is Meagan. I first read Outlander when I was 18, and have been obsessed with it for the past ten years. When I heard it was going to be adapted into a TV series, I yelled so loud I woke up my napping childโ€ฆand didnโ€™t even care. There also might have been tears involved. I donโ€™t know. Maybe ;)

Itโ€™s late, so Iโ€™m enjoying a nice glass of Pinot Noir, and listening to a thunderstorm roll in.

For my tea, I like Davidsonโ€™s Irish Breakfast with a splash of cream and a bit of sugar. As much as I love coffee, it canโ€™t compete with that!

Also, Terry, your work is just astonishing. Add the information from the blog and podcast, and Iโ€™ll never look at costuming and design the same way again. Thank you (and your team!) for your dedication and consideration.

Loved the discussions that Iโ€™ve read so far. Canโ€™t wait to be a part of the conversation!
      [/quote]

Welcome Megan!!

rachely
      Participant

My husband and I are coming to Scotland sans child (THANK GOD FOR GRANDMOTHERS) for two weeks next summer. Scottish friends suggested a giant loop starting either in Glasgow or Edinburgh and going thru Inverness, Alyth (where we have friends so need to stop in and say hello), and Skye (no other Islands…like some people with whom we are all aquaint I get seasick). With lots of distillery stops ๐Ÿ™‚

As we get closer I’m going to rely on all of you for tips!!

Hope
        Participant

Hi Rachel;
        Of course it’s important to have vacations with just you and your husband, but I wanted to share how special a trip my husband and I took with our two youngest children and my mother to Scotland 23 years ago. The kids were 5 and 8 and unlike what we expected it was hot and sunny the whole two weeks. We visited endless castles (they’re everywhere, not all of them fancied up for public viewing) and learned falconing and saw wild bird rescue centers and it was one of our best vacations ever, a true fantasy adventure. (Of course my mother was along and that helped, but she was a treat to travel with too.) And at the end of every beautiful day, we tried a few more single malt scotches. I hope your trip is very special for you too.

Purl99
      Participant

Tea? Oh, yes please! I joined the Outlander party 5 years ago, I was instantly hooked and when I heard the rumblings about a movie or series I crossed every appendage I could…twice.
      Now that reality is here and Outlander is a living and breathing entity I cannot believe that someone who has read these books would complain…about anything!
      I am even content with waiting for the second half of the season, it will be a nice present in April to celebrate my 34th anniversary! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you Terry and Ron for giving me (all of us) such a wonderful gift!

firstlove
      Participant

Hiya all, *waves*

It is a hot evening here in LA right now. So, some iced tea is a cool drink to have.

I wanted to come by and pass on to Terry that all the hard work and research that has gone into the production of Outlander is affecting ordinary day to day life.

How?

Example, my son, missed PE class because he had severe acute appendicitis and even though he could return to school, he could not participate in PE class. Well, in order to make up those missed days, he had to write a single page paper on ANY sport. As he was thinking about what sport to write about, I suggested he look up “Shinty” because I am sure no other student has turned in a paper on that. It peaked his curiosity and sure enough he did his report on that. How cool is that? All that research and sweating the details has not gone unappreciated. Besides, it is a lot of fun to learn new things.

firstlove
      Participant

[quote quote=3385]My husband and I are coming to Scotland sans child (THANK GOD FOR GRANDMOTHERS) for two weeks next summer. Scottish friends suggested a giant loop starting either in Glasgow or Edinburgh and going thru Inverness, Alyth (where we have friends so need to stop in and say hello), and Skye (no other Islandsโ€ฆlike some people with whom we are all aquaint I get seasick). With lots of distillery stops :)

As we get closer Iโ€™m going to rely on all of you for tips!!
      [/quote]

Hi rachely,
      I wish you a great trip. You will have a wonderful time I am sure. Terry’s blog entry about Scotland is truly a dream to read and makes me want to come to Scotland as well. I sure hope Outlander does for Scotland, what Lord of the Rings has done for New Zealand. I think it is a good fit. Anyways, you mention Skye and I was hoping you had seen the Danny Macaskill video and the Isle of Skye….. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ_IQS3VKjA Breathtaking Beauty!!!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by firstlove.
      ValhallaLilly
      Participant

Um I might have a problem…

๐Ÿ˜›

*passes out Lady Grey tea to everyone*

JenKrom
      Participant

Hello, everyone! My name is Jen, I live in Vermont, and we are just now at the peak of foliage season. It truly is as gorgeous as the Google images show!

I love coffee in the morning and tea at all other times. Favorites include Bewley’s Gold, PG Tips decaf at night (the only decaf I’ve had that does not taste like decaf), and Kusmi Russian Morning. Hubby and I used to live in Olympia, Washington where I was the head baker for a tiny tea room (now defunct, sadly), and at one point had over 60 varieties of tea in our house! We also honeymooned in Victoria, BC and had lunch in a different tea room each day! It’s a good thing that I enjoy egg salad (he hates it) and he enjoys tuna salad (I detest it), so if those sandwiches were ever served together, we each knew whose were whose. However we then did not kiss for several hours, or at least until we both had a chance to brush our teeth well!

And I noticed that several people enjoy scones with their tea. Welllllllllllll. I happen to be a baker. With a phenomenal scone recipe. And I love to share. Any takers?

awabbit
        Participant

Jen,
        Oh yes please!
        I’d love your scone rx cries Anne, jumping into the ‘scrum.’
        I’ll reciprocate with my rx for lemon curd, if you like.
        We have dear friends who live in Olympia… with a view of Mt Rainier when its clear.
        Anne in No Ho
        ()

@gracesmom48
        Participant

Hi Jen, I grew up in CT, so we’d drive thru VT every fall after spending summers at my grandparent’s cottage in Maine. New England is the most beautiful place on earth (keeping in mind, I’ve never had the privilege of visiting Scotland). How lucky you are to live there! I bought an English tea and scone cookbook 15 years ago and my kids used to BEG me to make them, not that I needed much encouragement. Bakeries are incredible in the northeast, I’ve always wanted to combine my antique/vintage sales business in Texas with a bakery but I don’t have time to do both and could never find a baker to join in. Maybe I should move business to Vermont, we’d corner the market!! Do you bake whoopie pies? I make those for my family, they’re my hubby’s favorite!! I once stopped at a gas station in Maine and they were selling homemade whoopie pies that were out of this world…thought i was dreaming…….

JenKrom
        Participant

What a small world! I also grew up in CT, in Torrington. Which town are you from?

Julibee527
      Participant

Hi, Jen! I’d love to share your scone recipe. My hub and I are tea drinkers. His fave is Bexleys Irish Breakfast brewed as dark as coffee. Me, I’m more about Darjeeling or green teas.
      I’ve been knitting cowls and making scones this week in between re viewing and re reading Outlander and admiring Terry’s outstanding costumes!

JenKrom
        Participant

Good morning, Julibee! (I keep wanting to type Jubilee…!) I wrote my post last night and didn’t think it through very clearly, so I’m not sure of the best way to send you my recipe without annoying other posters. Maybe through email? Or I suppose I could always start a new topic/thread just for recipes. What do you think?

Julibee527
        Participant

Hi, Jen,
        I live in PA. I think a Scottish recipe thread would be a great idea. Sounds like several others would like that too. It would be great to try some “authentic” recipes as well. I’ve only had haggis once as a side to a breakfast when I was travelling abroad.
        Scones or “skons” are a hit with my hub, so any new ideas would be great. I’m not a professional baker like you, but am a personal chef and baker to a local convent of 13 nuns. They’re keen to try new things within reason. Since the house is mostly Irish, scones are always a welcome treat. I have a great cream scone recipe and have changed that up with everything, you can think of. Browned butter, pumpkin, cinnamon sugar, blueberry lemon, cranberry orange, almond, chocolate, coconut, cheddar bacon, caraway, sour cherry/dark choc…and so on.
        Looking forward to your scones!!!

Desma
      Participant

would love the recipe too. Yummy. BTW I lived in Seattle for 12 years. DC now.

ellenchristine
      Participant

Love the idea of a recipe thread!

Katie (@bunnums)
        Participant

Starting a recipe thread is a great idea! I’d participate.

GraceBWell
      Participant

Dear Terry – I am thrilled at your generosity, curiosity and passion to help create this blog and be on twitter. Thank you so much for reaching out to your fans. It is really enriching my own experience of enjoying the Outlander books (again) and TV series and inspiring some of my own creative desires. I am just completely enthralled with your design work & collaboration on the series. I can only imagine the roar of creative energy that needs to be stoked to undertake the enormous task you and Ron have taken on so beautifully & respectfully. It shines through in every scene – through each frame, the light, the scenery, the costumes, set designs, & the writing. I have listened to all your podcasts and I hear you guys talking about your learning process and all I can say is, as an observer, the passion & creativity you’ve imbued shines through the eyes of all the actors. Very special and I’ve seen nothing like it.

My mother has sewn & designed her whole life -her wedding dress, my sister’s and my own included. When we were developing my own wedding dress there was a beautiful twist of insight when she realized my sketches were so similar to her dress 34 years earlier – but yet modern. She ended up pulling out her pattern from years ago and it gave her the final inspirations to finish. The final touch was a embroidered silk overlay that became apart of my train and a shawl that we found at Britex in SF with the a similar oak leaf pattern in Claire’s wedding dress. The rest of the fabric came from Satin Moon in SF. Our wedding insignia was a beautiful Old World Oak Tree. We were surrounded by groves of Oak us at our wedding in Mendocino County. It was surreal and magical (still is after 13 years this October 6th!). As other’s have mentioned, when I saw Claire’s dress I just wanted to weep and have such a joy filled feeling every time I think of it. ALL of the costumes have been wonderful and have so much meaning weaved into them.

As for tea – I’m currently making an infused tea of marshmallow root and slippery elm herbal tea but I’m inclined to change the plants as I desire. Some tea places I enjoy in Northern California are: http://www.gatheringthyme.com in San Anselmo, http://desta.com/shop/ in San Anselmo, & http://rosemarysgarden.com in Sebastopol – I often get to play with my alchemist roots there – so fun in the apothecaries choosing your tea- reminds me of Claire. ๐Ÿ™‚ Of course anything from Mountain Rose Herbs is amazing and pure quality – often carried at respected places in Northern Cal. shops but can be ordered https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/catalog/teas Actually I think all the places I listed you can order online when you’re out of town but each locale is wonderful to visit. Happy sipping!

JenKrom
        Participant

Grace, I want to thank you for your eloquence. You expressed in words exactly how I feel about watching the series, and valuing the efforts of each artist, craftsperson, and crew member involved. From my heart to your words to Terry’s eyes!

GraceBWell
        Participant

Thank you Jen – I appreciate the warm welcome – despite all my typos! Did you end up posting your recipe?

JenKrom
        Participant

YES! If you haven’t already done so, simply scroll down this page a teeny bit and you will see the link. I put it in the General Discussions forum.

awabbit
      Participant

[quote quote=3697]Starting a recipe thread is a great idea! Iโ€™d participate.[/quote]

Theresa Carle-Sanders has a terrific website totally devoted to historic Scottish foods made in a modern kitchen, and inspired by DG’s Outlander books. You can find the website and WONDERFUL rx at http://www.outlanderkitchen.com
      Anne in NoHo

JenKrom
      Participant

I just started a thread over in General Discussions. Here is the link for my scone recipe.

RECIPES (Scottish or otherwise)

GraceBWell
        Participant

thank you! the recipes look amazing – perfect for the holidays!

rachely
      Participant

Happiness is…

A newly cleaned off sewing desk! (And I found my 221B spinning fiber!)

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by rachely.
        JenKrom
        Participant

looks good! (wanna come over to my house?)

rachely
        Participant

about half a second after I took that the big stack of fabric that’s sitting on top of my loom fell over.

GigiB
      Participant

I’m a newbie to the whole Outlander experience, having recently seen an American friend’s post about the series on Facebook. Being in the UK I have yet to have the pleasure of viewing it, but I immediately started reading the books (goodbye normal daily life) and researching online, where I found your Blog, Terry. I am absolutely captivated by your costumes. They are truly stunning.

Did you know that if you drink a fair amount of alcohol (eg rum) when wearing 18th Century stays it doesn’t really hit your system until they are removed, then it floors you most immediately like a sledgehammer? I speak from (a single, I hasten to add) unpleasant, if somewhat hilarious experience. ๐Ÿ™‚

Currently drinking tea, Earl Grey, hot. No rum in sight. Ever. Again.

sherri
      Participant

Whist enjoy my cuppa this morning I realized I have the MacKenzie Sampler, staring back at me from the adjacent wall. I’m a sampler enthusiast, collector and stitcher, we even have a sampler guild here in Southern California (there are several across the US and in the UK). Now, not certain if this 11 year old embroideries, a Miss Jean McKenzie, would qualify as kin to THE MacKenzies but I’d like to wish so as she kindly stitcher the initials CM and DM into her piece as well as a manse that could be Castle Leoch?

firstlove
      Participant

A big hello to everyone, *waves*

I came across this, this evening and I figured that I would share this with everyone. If you’re here, then you must love costumes and how they tell a story…. Here is an event for those who live near Los Angeles http://www.oscars.org/hollywoodcostume/

The tickets are reasonable and I know I am going. November 10th sounds interesting with the Event that day being this one…..

Defining Character: The Art of the Costume Designer

Moderated by Hollywood Costume curator and costume designer Deborah Nadoolman Landis
      Monday, November 10, 7:30 p.m.
      Preeminent costume designers will discuss the art and process of creating on-screen characters through costuming. Topics include significant moments in film that have inspired their work, as well as the director-costume designer collaboration.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by firstlove.
      awabbit
      Participant

Hi FirstLove,
      I’d love to attend on November 10.
      Will you contact me to coordinate?
      Anne in NoHo

nolakate
        Participant

i have that book. it’s fabulous. and several others too, explain how you can tell what decade a film was MADE in by the costumes because the current styles creep in to the historical.

llerickson86
      Participant

My Jamie phone…

Sanderson
      Participant

Hello all! I can’t even remember what led me to first read the Outlander books. It was in early 2001. We’d just moved into the house we live in now and we were looking forward to just sitting in a chair and NOT MOVING after we’d gotten all the boxes unpacked. So I somehow get my hands on this book called Outlander. I think I stopped reading long enough to order the rest of the books that existed at that point on Amazon, then went back to my reading. I gained back 11 of the 15 pounds over the next month because all I did was sit on my ass and devour those books! Sometimes I couldn’t stop and would read half the night, which did not serve me well at work the next day. ๐Ÿ™‚

I didn’t even know that it was going to be on TV until I read an article somewhere, and Episode 1 (Sassenach) had already been on. Again, I stopped what I was doing, got our cable company on the phone and activated Starz to our account on the spot!

Ten years later, in 2010, I somehow got my husband intrigued enough to read the first book. He not only read them, and not only loves the show but he is reading all of the books for the second time!

What a guy. What a story. What a show.

And a huge, gigantic thank you to you and your husband, Terry, for upending your lives to go to Scotland and bring us this brilliant endeavor. After listening to your podcasts, it is obvious that a lot of brainstorming occurs even after you are offset and at home (wherever that might be at any given moment). Not to mention herself for breathing life into this fantastic story.

If all goes well, and we see one book per year on Starz, there will be another eight years of Outlander TV!!!!!!

marcydebbie
      Participant

Hi, my name is Deborah Chase and I’m from warwick, RI. Like most avid knitters I am extra addicted to the show and knitting pieces like those used. I have been knitting Outlander inspired pieces since I first discovered the books nearly 20 years ago…and drinking tea. This is a shawl and a set of mitts I made inspired by the photograph of the house….pre-series this is how I pictured Lallybroch. Thanks for all of the inspiration….I’ll be spending the hiatus knitting. And drinking tea.

Kirsten
        Participant

I am also in New England and with winter coming have taken to knitting some of the wrist warmers. Generally I stick to lace patterns but Outlander has inspired me to get into the cables and I am loving it.

awabbit
      Participant

Debbie, These pieces are really lovely. Is that a thistle “fob” attached to one of the mitts?
      Anne in No Ho

marcydebbie
        Participant

The thistle is crocheted and then appliqued on…I am new to crochet and made up the thistle as I went. I am trying to repeat it and write it out.
        Thank you for the kind words.

Sanderson
      Participant

Beautiful work! I just love the thistle … I can see it as fringe or at the end of a drawstring, too. Very nice; thanks for sharing!

firstlove
      Participant

[quote quote=3977]Hi FirstLove,
      Iโ€™d love to attend on November 10.
      Will you contact me to coordinate?
      Anne in NoHo[/quote]

Hi Anne,

See you there. The discussion is going to be wonderful!

Sarah ๐Ÿ™‚

Debbie Dake
      Participant

Good morning all ~

Just wanted to share with you part of a recipe I recently tried out for Butterscotch Bread Pudding. I was visiting a friend to watch Episode 108 so she could listen to Ron’s podcast (I had to show her how to do it). She had some meat pies she had bought at our local Scottish Games for lunch and I wanted to bring something to go with them. I looked for a Scottish dessert recipe online and came upon one for bread pudding. It was from the UK. The last instruction was to bake it until it was nearly set and finished with, “It should wiggle as much as a ‘well endowed’ thigh.” Funniest bit of recipe I’ve ever seen!

It was yummy too. I had some for breakfast this morning with my tea.

~ Debbie

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Debbie Dake.
        Katie (@bunnums)
        Participant

I don’t suppose that recipe is available online? I love butterscotch and bread pudding! ๐Ÿ™‚

Debbie Dake
        Participant

Here’s the UK recipe link: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/6285/butterscotch-bread-pudding.aspx

I just noticed that there’s a US version too but the ingredients are different (the US version does include a modified bit about the thigh…). I used the UK version and had to convert all the amounts to cups and teaspoons. The second time I made it, I reduced the sweet ingredients a little as the first time around was a bit too sweet even for me, and I love my sweets. Enjoy ~

Katie (@bunnums)
        Participant

Thank you!

cainsworth
        Participant

Thank you for sharing this recipe, Debbie… it looks delicious!

Debbie Dake
        Participant

You’re welcome ๐Ÿ™‚

~ Debbie

michellibell
        Participant

Can you link the American version? I can’t find it…

Debbie Dake
        Participant

Sure, here it is: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/butterscotch-bread-pudding/

It excludes the maple syrup and includes butterscotch chips instead.

~ Debbie

patsyann55
      Participant

Here is a link to an interesting blog analyzing 12 Joseph Highmore illustrations based on the novel Pamela. That would be a fun read for this group!
      http://mimic-of-modes.blogspot.com/search/label/1740s

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by patsyann55.
      lynnescottritchie
      Participant

Hi everyone, I’ve been reading all your posts with interest. It’s great to hear so many of you would like to visit Scotland … maybe I take it a bit for granted. I thought you might like to see these photos of Culloden battlefield taken earlier this year on the anniversary of the battle. It’s a very emotional day. I’ve been a huge Outlander (Cross Stitch in the UK) fan for 20 years. Hopefully we’ll get to see it soon.

Lynne

ellenchristine
        Participant

thank you, Lynne, for these pictures of Culloden. Very emotional indeed, and they really place us on the site.

Theresa
      Participant

Hi! I’ve only recently discovered this forum and have been reading through the threads and posts. I’m so happy to have found this place of refuge for Outlander fans! Thank you to Mandy and Terry! Thank you for letting me join this forum!

For tea, I live on Harney Hot Cinnamon Spice tea, both regular and decaf, with frothed almond milk and raw honey or maple syrup. I desparately desire a good gluten free/dairy free/low sugar scone. I also love to make almond milk honey cinnamon lattes.

My life changed a bit 2 years ago when I had to drastically alter my diet due to auto immune disease and food issues; I’ve lost 65 pounds and wander around looking for safe things to eat to keep my weight and energy up (don’t wish to be skinny or tired). I’ve substituted books (and love) for food! I need my energy because I recently changed from an office job to being a Barista. I’m also working to renew my teacher license.

Besides making a home for me and my husband, I love reading, writing, listening to music (especially Minnesota band, Cloud Cult), crafting things from wool sweaters, our pets and our grown kids. I love Minnesota and it’s strong Viking/Norwegian heritage. I see many similarities in scenery and people to Scotland’s highlands. I’ve not traveled much in my life and hope to in retirement. My long-time dream place is The Faroe Islands between Scotland and Norway.

jmrio
      Participant

Terry and all, I have two boys just learning to read and would love a list of your favorite young reader books. I know Terry and Ron have mentioned old classics before, but would love a list. What are your family book treasures?

barbc624
      Participant

[quote quote=4622]

My life changed a bit 2 years ago when I had to drastically alter my diet due to auto immune disease and food issues; Iโ€™ve lost 65 pounds and wander around looking for safe things to eat to keep my weight and energy up (donโ€™t wish to be skinny or tired). Iโ€™ve substituted books (and love) for food! I need my energy because I recently changed from an office job to being a Barista. Iโ€™m also working to renew my teacher license.

[/quote]

You might want to check out the Food Babe blog – http://foodbabe.com/about-me/ – Vani suffered from all kinds of allergies and health issues in childhood which turned out to be food related. She has a lot of good information on how to eat healthy and safely. Good luck!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by barbc624.
      • This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by barbc624.
      Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

[quote quote=4724]Terry and all, I have two boys just learning to read and would love a list of your favorite young reader books. I know Terry and Ron have mentioned old classics before, but would love a list. What are your family book treasures?[/quote]
      The Five Children and It, The Phoenix and The carpet
      All the Oz books
      Everything by Edward Eager
      Everything by Seuss…perfect for learning to love language
      E. B. White – both Stuart Little and Charlotte’s Web
      Alice In Wonderland
      Peter Pan
      MARY POPPINS (all of them)

Ron has a very “boy” lis. Rudyard Kipling, Tom Mix and things like that… I’ll ask him

SchlossDame
      Participant

Hello Terry & all of the friendly folks here-

What a great community! I’ve been enjoying Terry’s blog and this forum as a spectator, and I have learned so much from the kind folks who share their knowledge & ideas here. Terry (if you see this), please accept special thanks from me. Because you shared so many wonderful details about the research & creation of Claire’s wedding dress, I realized (last night!) that a small leather cushion I inherited from my Great-Grandparents is embellished with metallic thread in a similar way. If I hadn’t seen your wonderful blog posts about the wedding dress, I would never have appreciated the unique piece I have, which has been kicking around my living room and been used as a frisbee by my kids! I’m sharing two photos…

p.s. Special hellos to Cousin Desma! David I is my 24th Great-Grandfather (via 14 branches) and Edmund I is my 29th Great-Grandfather, too ๐Ÿ™‚

It’s in very good condition for having been used as a frisbee! From your photos it looks like Ottoman Turkish work. They used to make slippers and wallets/purses in this way, piercing the leather and then stitching the threads through the punched holes. Now you have to work out how it came in to your great grandparents’ lives!

Desma
        Participant

Hi there cousin of mine! I believe Edmund is also a great relative of mine. I have traced my line back to 900 right now and have various lines of royal lineage and castles. My how far I have fallen. lol

SchlossDame
      Participant

Thank you Liz! Your information makes perfect sense, as my Great-Grandfather had a long military career and brought back many items from his travels. I’ve attached a photo from his trip to China (in 1901 – he’s the man with the tinted glasses) and photos showing my Grandfather & Father wearing Russian tunics he brought home. (Believe it it or not, I also wore those tunics when I was in kindergarten.) He also brought home a beautifully embroidered Chinese imperial robe and 17th century sword that we still have. Thank you again for sharing your expertise.

rachely
      Participant

If anyone wants to be highly amused, the annual Literary Review bad sex in fiction award short list is out. They are spectacularly awful and awesome at the same time.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/poll/2014/nov/12/literary-review-bad-sex-award-shortlist-2014

if you want more you can follow them on twitter: https://twitter.com/Lit_Review

CelticGlamazon
        Participant

Rachel,

Some of the comments were better than the nominees. ๐Ÿ™‚

hotscot
      Participant

Taylor of Harrogates makes a really tasty Scottish breakfast tea. BTW I forwarded a link from this site to a friend and she forwarded it to one of those Renaissance reinactors (creative anachronistic types) & he started on some vitriolic banter with me about the knitting and the costumes. I guess his ph.D. outranks my M.D./M.A. (well, maybe not)…..anyhow, I just complemented his lovely creations and dropped it. I tried to reason with him that Geillis & Claire are time travelers and anything could be possible with intelligent & creative women, to no avail. I just want to say here that I missed out on Mrs. Fizz’ bits (any chance of them coming back so I could take a weeeeeee peek?) I love, love, love all of Terry’s creations. I love, love, love the show and all the characters. I knit, embroider, sew, weave, play the bagpipes, speak 5 languages, am a physician and was born in Edinburgh. Who cares about “historical accuracy” when such drop-dead gorgeous creations are there to admire. A great big valentine to Terry for all her efforts & this lovely web site to admire her creations.

barbc624
      Participant

[quote quote=4881]If anyone wants to be highly amused, the annual Literary Review bad sex in fiction award short list is out. They are spectacularly awful and awesome at the same time.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/poll/2014/nov/12/literary-review-bad-sex-award-shortlist-2014

if you want more you can follow them on twitter: https://twitter.com/Lit_Review

[/quote]

rachely
        Participant

you read them, and they were so terribly bad it left you speechless?

Lalou
      Participant

I do understand the reaction : some of them were quite terrible. Yerk !

barbc624
      Participant

[quote quote=4908]you read them, and they were so terribly bad it left you speechless? [/quote]

Wow… I don’t quite know what to say…

rachely
        Participant

you posted a blank reply (just a quote of my post about the bad sex) and I guessed that you were speechless : )

awabbit
      Participant

Dear Terry,
      The link does not work. Please make corrections and re-post.
      Thanks, Anne in NoHo

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by awabbit.
      conniebv
      Participant

Just popping in to say hello! Posted for the first time in the DiA thread, looking forward to chatting.

DivingBell
      Participant

Tomorrow evening, I am inviting two fellow mothers over, to have a late night viewing session of Episodes 1, maybe 2. I convinced them to read Outlander, and while one finished reading hers in a week the other took about two weeks; the commonality between all three of us is that we would make frozen pizzas for dinners instead of cooking, just so we could read more.
      So, we plan to have tea (Taylors of Harrogate’s “Scottish Breakfast Tea”) and homemade scones while watching after all our children are asleep and husbands home from work, and we will make a mother’s with OO (Outlander Obsession) night of it. ๐Ÿ˜‰ It is just one more fun thing for us to do during these long, winter nights in Alaska (we know how you feel, Terry, being in short “days” in Scotland!)

Cheers,
      Stefani

Ami
      Participant

Hi there, love the blog and have been most impressed by what I’ve read while lurking about the forum! Finally got up the courage to post, so I thought I’d introduce myself. My name is Ami, I’m married (10 years last October, in Dornoch, Scotland no less) and I have 2 kids, a daughter from my ‘practice’ marriage, and a 6 year old son from my current union. I adore travel, especially Europe! I’ve been a fan of the books for many years and they inspired me to search my ancestry, which led to a Scottish wedding!

I’m thrilled to have found a group of such remarkable and intelligent women!

verdandiknits
      Participant

Hmph. Don’t know where to post this, but this morning I found something amazing next my daughters primary scool. It’s a (sorry, if the words are wrong, I’m German) memory stone beneath a little cross. It says:

Johann Michael
      Dreesbach
      Kรผster Lehrer (sexton, teacher)
      Stieldorf (the little village where the school is)
      29.10.1774 (date of birth 1774-10-29)
      9.6.1811 (date of death 1811-06-09)

Terry, do You know where Your ancestors are from?

sommarblomma
      Participant

Hi everyone! This seems like such a lovely group! I am not sure if you have a page dedicated to introductions, so pardon me if this isn’t where I should do such a thing! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I am a costumer from Chicago, I am a freelancer but I work for a ballet school/company here in the city currently. (I’m also balancing this between being a mom to three wing-nuts and wife to a dude in advertising.) I really love costumes and I feel SO LUCKY that it’s my job! When I tell people what I do, they always ask if my job is fun with a sparkle in their eye and I always answer with a resounding YES! Mostly my job deals with fittings, alterations, repairs, blinging out stuff so it sparkles on stage, thinking on my feet, dealing with big personalities in a gracious manner, finding lost character shoes, and attempting not to stab myself with sharp objects. ๐Ÿ™‚

Right now, my costuming challenges are learning how to make tutus (I’m about 60 hours into my first one and I’m maybe about 1/4 of the way done.) I have done a lot of work with tutus, but I’ve this is the first time I’ve built one from start to finish. I’m obviously hoping to scale back the amount of time it takes to build a tutu, but since this is my first time, I’m really taking it slow to learn and get the feel for it. Double hand pleating… Can I get a what-what!? I’m pretty sure that took 59 1/2 hours of the 60. I have a lovely 80ish year old ex-ballerino who is teaching me how to make them and that’s half the fun- he’s amazing.

Before the Nutcracker season starts (which is going to be in a couple weeks) I want to do some fun costume projects (Claire’s wedding dress, perhaps?) But it will probably dissolve into making Halloween costumes for my children, lol.

Also, I’m obsessed with Outlander- the end. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anyway, nice to ‘meet’ you all!

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

OKAY, let’s get this party started again!!!!!!

Katie (@bunnums)
        Participant

Welcome back! If no one objects, I’m going to start a new general conversation thread since this one is getting long enough that it’s a bit unwieldly. Hopefully others will join in!

ellenchristine
        Participant

Happy to be on board!

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

Yes. Call it Tea Room 2016?

cbraunnj
        Participant

Glad to be here for tea & whatever else is being served. Love tea, straight up. Of course, I love scones, & they love me a bit too much.

rachely
      Participant

Terry could you ask Mandy to delete me and (if possible) all of my posts out of your Forums?

Thank you,
      Rachel

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

Sure, if she can.

Katrina
      Participant

Just testing to see if I can work this forum out. Is this it??

Mistahbue
      Participant

I made it. Lol

KimTBarnesCPA
      Participant

Is this thing on? ;-)#newbie

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

It is on!!!!!!

Mrsetw
      Participant

Feeling technically challenged. I think I made it to your forum.

KimTBarnesCPA
      Participant

So what are we chatting about? Our love of your designs and our ravenous appetites?

BethWolfe
      Participant

Terry, just want to say a huge THANK YOU for being so interactive. I spent my whole time in college doing theatre either on or backstage and costumes was one of my responsibilities. I get where you are coming from (loved your post today) and so appreciate the knowledge you share.

Katie (@bunnums)
      Participant

SEPTEMBER 2015 – SPOILER FREE TEA ROOM

These posts can get tough to navigate when they’re as large as this old one, so anyone want to come join me in this new one?

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

YES!!! of to Spoiler Free

janeb
        Participant

Terry, I can’t sew a stitch so I truly admire the creative work of you and your staff. I will enjoy whatever tidbits you share with us.

Viewing 124 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.