Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

so whatcha making?

• Creator
    Topic
    rachely
    Participant

Here you go kids:

(the difference btwn my actual camera and my phone cracks me up)
    new stays
    new stays

setting fire
    setting fire to robe

sloths for connie
    sloths for connie

aprons for michellibell’s play
    aprons for michellibell

• This topic was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by rachely.
Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      rachely
      Participant

next up:

short gown
      farm aprons

and a costume for Kid for when he comes to the Farm.

NWeiss
      Participant

Do you just sew for fun? Costume for an event or to look good on the farm? Robe à l’anglaise looks pretty damn complicated (had to google it) and I see pics and say inappropriate words out loud. Totally jealous, don’t do many garments yet, intimidated, looking to start. *pic is my kid at Halloween

I take sewing breaks, during this one learned to knit (thank you youtube) and made a pretty great batch of beard balm for the hubs.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by NWeiss.
        rachely
        Participant

OMG so cute! Mine refuses to wear a kilt.

I can sew, knit, spin, weave, quilt, etc. basically if it’s a fiber-related craft I can probably do it.

Clothes for the Farm and for fun. The day-to-day Farm clothing is all worked in so everything in linen and likely to get burn marks and goose shit and obscene amounts of sweat on them. We dress up for certain events. They always joke that if I show up in my silk petticoats they’re going to have to say that I’m their rich cousin just visiting.

The robe à l’anglaise is fascinating. EVERY WOMAN wore them. Court to farm. They just different on fabric, number of petticoats, length, detailing (polonaise or robings). But everyone was wearing the same style during those years.

I sew for me. I’ll sometimes do commissions for friends, but not for 18th c clothes since I can only do that if I have a person, in stays, in front of me. But right now I’m making a wool-felt doll for my BFFF and a bunch of surgical caps for my BMFF.

conniebv
        Participant

Adorable.

conniebv
      Participant

-Elephant for a baby girl

-African flower hexagon throw, with cat.

Same, no cat.

-Part of a dance costume. Guess what kind of dance!

Lori
        Participant

The elephant is so cute!
        “-African flower hexagon throw, with cat.” LOL – too funny!

CelticGlamazon
        Participant

Connie,

You’re a belly dancer, Right? Most of my belly dancing friends are also doing burlesque. I love glitter people! I say that because I’d love to see some of your other costumes, I’m always fascinated to see the different styles that people use from traditional to modern.

My profile pic was on the Ferry from the OLY PEN over to Seattle for a burlesque/belly dancing/cabaret show. Thus the amazing fascinator. 🙂

conniebv
        Participant

I am a belly dancer, good guess!

michellibell
      Participant

NWeiss – that is adorable!

I’ve started crocheting – since September I’ve made a scarf for all of my nieces and nephews (10), my daughters (3) and a baby blanket for my newest niece. I don’t think I have any pics of any of them 🙁 I just never think to do that – I need to start.

This year our OAP is set during the Civil War. I’ve been lucky enough to find much of what I need on ebay, so all I’m doing is dying the dresses, and fitting them to the girls. And I’m having to reconfigure the buttons and lapels on all the guys’ jackets. All I’m having to really make from scratch is one skirt and 2 bonnet/hats.

Rachely is a rock star and made the nurse’s aprons for me. SMOOCHES!

rachely
      Participant

new pleats. I think I like them this time.

new pleats

Lori
        Participant

Wow – just wow! I admire anyone who can use a sewing machine without the needle breaking…. (Let’s just say that this apple fell far from my mother’s “home ec/sewing major” tree!)

rachely
        Participant

well, to be fair, my costumes are hand sewn : )

but i can use my sewing machine.

Lori
        Participant

Ok – now I’m even more impressed! Just look at those stitches!

Lori
        Participant

I have one and can use it – it just often doesn’t end well! Let’s just say I can relate to wanting to burn something – maybe the sewing machine!

rachely
        Participant

My mum taught me to sew clothes on the machine. My aunt taught me to quilt when I was 12-ish. So I could always hand sew, I find it relaxing. (aunt laurie also bought me a Really Nice sewing machine that rarely makes me want to set it on fire).

Except these damn sleeves. Either I have oddly skinny arms or I’m crazy. Both are viable options.

CelticGlamazon
        Participant

[quote quote=6670]well, to be fair, my costumes are hand sewn : )

but i can use my sewing machine.
        [/quote]
        we're not worthy

sonyakhanum
      Participant

Awesome projects everyone, you’re all so skilled!

I’m assuming that we can also share knitting projects? I mainly knit, sometimes sew, and have taken up quilting (no pictures as I totally suck at it and hope to improve with much practice).

I just finished this shawl and need to block it.

And I’m still working on this green baby blanket, I sorta took a break from it to work on other projects and need to get back to it.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by sonyakhanum.
        conniebv
        Participant

Sonya, that knit lace is amazing. I knit, too, but nowhere near at that skill level.

sonyakhanum
        Participant

Thanks Connie! I love your elephant and your throw! The bra is pretty fun. If you could make stuffed animals, I’m sure you’d be great at knitting lace. That shawl pattern was such a pain in the butt though and I’ve made tons of mistakes that the pictures thankfully don’t show. I’m excited to wear it though (I’ve become a selfish knitter…). I haven’t tried crocheting, but would like to.

conniebv
        Participant

I find crocheting so easy! Taught myself using youtube. I get super confused by knitting patterns.

rachely
      Participant

I tried on my stays and my first draped bodice and it fits perfectly. wheeee!

CelticGlamazon
      Participant

I’m over here like…I make things…lame things…things that won’t see the the light of day. Sewing machine broke and life got in the way, so any new sewing projects are on hold.

I know these aren’t fabric/yarn craft…but painting/drawing is my other obsession. The red/blue face is a work in progress, that one day I’ll actually finish.

Love everyones work. Connie & Sonya, I keep trying to knit and crochet and never make more than a coaster or a sad scarf. 🙂 I just want to apprentice with Rachel to learn how to do the amazing things she does…minus pleating…because really…I’d have burned it.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by CelticGlamazon. Reason: Attached files were too large
        rachely
        Participant

Those are awesome! I love them! (Overuse of exclamation points! Coming up!)

Personally I want the Margaret Hunter Shop to have internships for grownups.

sonyakhanum
        Participant

Those are beautiful! Love the colours!

CelticGlamazon
        Participant

Thank you. 🙂 I forgot to add this…My first attempt at Rock & Wire work. http://instagram.com/p/WxNEIhmJSW/?modal=true

I want to learn all the arts, all the crafts, all the trades…sigh

Lori
        Participant

I’m not able to see anything at this link – do you have different one? I’d love to see it! Thanks!

CelticGlamazon
        Participant

[quote quote=6669]I’m not able to see anything at this link – do you have different one? I’d love to see it! Thanks![/quote]

I worried that instagram would do that…so I’ve attached it. 🙂

Crystal aka CelticGlamazon

sonyakhanum
        Participant

That’s pretty neat. Have you made or thought about making jewelry?

Lori
        Participant

Thanks! That’s awesome – love it! I especially love the wire and natural rocks together.

I’ve wanted to do jewelry for a while – finally took a “class” with my niece this summer – “wrap bracelets” – the teacher also showed me some basics for making earrings with leftover beads. I need to just dive in and try some things.

CelticGlamazon
        Participant

[quote quote=6763]Thanks! That’s awesome – love it! I especially love the wire and natural rocks together.

I’ve wanted to do jewelry for a while – finally took a “class” with my niece this summer – “wrap bracelets” – the teacher also showed me some basics for making earrings with leftover beads. I need to just dive in and try some things.
        [/quote]

Thank you. I made that in Port Angeles with rocks from the Ediz Hook. I planned to carve leaves from drift wood to really mix up the medium for the tree, just never found time. It’s to remind me of the Therapeutic traits a counselor needs to be effective, and that being grounded is the most important…thus the tree/roots.

rachely
        Participant

I once did a bunch of Viking wire knitting. It was fun! Now those supplies all just sit there, taunting me with the money I spent.

nolakate
      Participant

here’s what I’ve been making! (how do you attach a photo, or make it small enuf to be accepted? mine are 2.2 mb camera shots)

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by nolakate.
        rachely
        Participant

you can edit them on your computer by changing the size thereby changing the number of megabytes. that’s what I do… or if they’re somewhere else on the web (like on twitter) you can grab the URL and put them in the post itself with the “img” button

nolakate
        Participant

hope this comes thru

rachely
        Participant

i see them! cute!

what are they made of?

nolakate
        Participant

fabric. it’s a doll pattern made in an embroidery machine, then the clothes are made and hair (yarn) sewn on. they’re about 12″ tall

CelticGlamazon
        Participant

Those are very cute. I have a Holly Hobbie doll from my childhood that is very similar to this style. I’ve also been considering making handmade stuffed animals because of Pinterest: it is ruining my life. 🙂

sonyakhanum
        Participant

Those are so adorable. You must have a lot of patience.

rachely
        Participant

enuf

I really do know how to spell “enough” let’s assume that that was some weird autocorrect thing.

nolakate
        Participant

I was a call taker at 911 for ten years. when you are typing as fast as someone yelling in your ear about a bankrobbery, you learn to abbreviate!

rachely
        Participant

oy! isn’t that one of those “most stressful jobs”? I’ve called 911 once in my life and i’m pretty sure I was incoherent. and, as any of you who know me a little would surmise, I made jokes.

nolakate
        Participant

me too when I saw an accident. everyone is upset – if things weren’t horribly wrong, you wouldn’t be calling! we’re trained to listen thru the hysteria and figure out what’s wrong. I liked kids cause they didn’t argue – just answered the questions. ‘where are you, what’s wrong, anyone need an ambulance?’

Lori
        Participant

They are adorable!

Weird – was just reading your last post – and a pager went off in my house! (Hubby and 1 son are with a volunteer fire dept.) Did you find it stressful?

nolakate
        Participant

incredibly stressful and the most interesting job I’ve ever had. I was in dade county fla in the 80s. started as computers were coming in. had to know criminal vs civil law, jursidictions of 26 cities plus our department, and the 3 who had their own 911 system. never knew if a call was a nut job, emergency, or simple question. my personal top number of calls per one shift (6 1/2 hours after breaks) was 891!

Lori
        Participant

Wow – I imagine Dade Co. to be a pretty crazy busy place! 891! I can’t even imagine!

Speaking of crazies – I guess the Seahawks must have scored in the Super Bowl (not into American football – so not watching!) – cause the fireworks explosions have started in our rural area (northern WA state). Sigh – at least the dog isn’t hiding in the closet (can’t fit under the bed) yet – poor thing hates fireworks noises!

Lori
      Participant

Great thread – thanks Rachel!

You are all very talented (as well as intelligent and witty)!

CelticGlamazon
      Participant

[quote quote=6685]Wow – I imagine Dade Co. to be a pretty crazy busy place! 891! I can’t even imagine!

Speaking of crazies – I guess the Seahawks must have scored in the Super Bowl (not into American football – so not watching!) – cause the fireworks explosions have started in our rural area (northern WA state). Sigh – at least the dog isn’t hiding in the closet (can’t fit under the bed) yet – poor thing hates fireworks noises!
      [/quote]

Rural-Northern Wa State? I lived in Bellingham a few years back. I miss it, miss it hard.

Lori
        Participant

Wow – I love Bellingham! Lots of artistic people and goings on! I guess you could really say that about most all of NW Washington. Including lots of great indie music!

CelticGlamazon
      Participant

[quote quote=6710]That’s pretty neat. Have you made or thought about making jewelry?[/quote]
      Yup, that’s how I got into making that tree. I am missing pictures of nearly all of my best work because I’ve sold them, or given them as gifts, and forgot to take pictures. (/seriously I suck) So I’m left with pretty much the prototype pieces that I started with.

I started getting into intricate wire work, but then my Course Load at College became too much and there’s not enough time in the day for crafting.

sonyakhanum
        Participant

That’s awesome. I’m always in awe of people who make jewelry with the vision, patience and intricate detail required.

I hate it when everyday life gets in the way of crafting…geez (my dream is to live on a farm, raise sheep and alpaca, spin my own wool and just knit all day long).

I noticed your comment above about living in Bellingham. I live 20 min from the Washington border and just over a 30 min drive to Bellingham. It has some great pubs!

Lori
        Participant

Oh no – it came out huge! Help – should I do something to fix it??

An amazingly small world – I live south of Bellingham – and you’re right – the pubs are great!
        That dream sounds amazing. I was just reading an article about a women who moved to the Shetlands and did something similar. Not sure if this will work (link below) – I’m not very tech savvy – the article begins on page 60 – gorgeous! Enjoy!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Lori.
        sonyakhanum
        Participant

Thanks so much for the link. Her life sounds amazing. Fair Isle and the Shetland Islands are actually one of my top places to visit and Jameisons wool is lovely. I got a few skeins while visiting the UK last year and haven’t used them yet. I cherish them too much haha.

I’m a lawyer and this dream, which I imagine will be a more peaceful life, gets me through the stress and boredom…I’m determined it will happen one day! I also want to be a tea sommelier, which may be totally useless, but at least fun!

rachely
        Participant

are you on Ravelry? I am, though I never knit anymore… same name

sonyakhanum
        Participant

Yes I am, though I don’t upload or update things as regularly as I probably should. I’m on it with the same name. Will find you if that’s ok? 🙂

I think Ravelry desperately needs an app (I hate saying this – I’m super dependent on my phone.)

rachely
        Participant

God, yes, they need an app. I lost ALL urge to knit when I was pregnant with the Kid and haven’t knitted much since.

some day I will finish this sweater. on size 000 needles

Lalou
        Participant

Whoa, that’s a sweater! I am trying to imagine what the whole piece would look like. Did you knit more than that? Is the pattern to cover the front too? WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO SHOW US THE FINISHED PIECE?

rachely
        Participant

it was actually supposed to be for my mom. my boobs are too big to wear a sweater with a pattern, it would just pull out of alignment. if i were to make it for me I’d have to make it a cardigan.

god knows if I’ll ever finish it; at this point i’d have to start over anyway, since there’s no way my knitting gauge has remained the same in the years since I started it.

though your being excited about it has made me more excited. I’ll have to pull out the 000 needles (imagine: thinner than a tapestry needle) and remind myself why this project was a crazy idea! : )

assuming some day I do finish it it will look like this:

Lalou
        Participant

Stunning pattern! And not an easy one.
        Are you like me? Nothing is ever too hard to make, the more complicated the better. A few times I found myself stuck with an impossible work, cursing myself for being too cocky. But once a work is done, I am not interested in it anymore, it’s the making that I love, once finished it’s just an object.

rachely
        Participant

Yup! It’s all process for me. I like learning to do new things and then once I learn them I’m done. I only have a couple of knit things I actually wear (my clapotis being one. remember the clapotis frenzy?!). Weaving is better I wear more of those but still mostly I just give away.

let me tell you this personality trait is REALLY HARD when you only have a boy. when I was obsessed with smocking I had to go find stay girls to give stuff to.

lawrencji
        Participant

LOL – I know what you mean. I have 3 sons.

lawrencji
        Participant

Wow, You’re doing a beautiful job of it!

Lori
        Participant

You’re welcome! I hope you have a wonderful trip! I’d love to hear about your it – if you’d like to share. As the islands are so “small” – maybe you will be able to see and talk with the woman in the article or others. I’ve found that any time spent with or conversations with “locals” when I am traveling are always the highlights of my trip. We enjoy visiting and staying in small, out of the way B&B’s – buying food from small shops, etc. We’ve enjoyed meeting many wonderful people and have had amazing experiences – such as going to an old stone church on Easter Sunday in Hexham, England – and our family being invited home for Easter dinner with a local family, being given fresh oatmeal cookies “for the road” from our hostess at a small Scottish B&B – and I highlight for our boys – waking up on a Scottish farm with a highland coo looking in the bedroom window!

CelticGlamazon
      Participant

[quote quote=6765]

An amazingly small world – I live south of Bellingham – and you’re right – the pubs are great!
      [/quote]

The Boundary Bay Brewery was my second home…I miss them so much…I miss taking day trips to Vancouver…I miss Mount Baker shining in the morning sun and the setting light…I miss living in a place that is so alive and green. I was supposed to come back to B-ham Jan 2015 but my Grandmother needs full time care after a fall, and I’ve stayed in NC to help. I feel like I traded a part of my soul and my sanity to be here instead of WA.

[quote quote=6758]That’s awesome. I’m always in awe of people who make jewelry with the vision, patience and intricate detail required.

I hate it when everyday life gets in the way of crafting…geez (my dream is to live on a farm, raise sheep and alpaca, spin my own wool and just knit all day long).

I noticed your comment above about living in Bellingham. I live 20 min from the Washington border and just over a 30 min drive to Bellingham. It has some great pubs!

[/quote]

That dream is why I initially moved from the east coast to Washington State, but life got in the way. 🙂 There is a very good chance that I’ll return in the Fall to attend Western Washington University. /crosses fingers

Lori
        Participant

I can completely understand – I’m originally from Arizona – and I have fallen in love with the Pacific NW – and am always grateful that I have the option to live here! Love seeing Mt. Baker on the horizon on a sunny day – and the alive and green! I have had the wonderful opportunity of visiting Scotland – and I find the plants, weather, etc. here abouts to be very similar to the highlands there – if I could live anywhere – I’d choose the highlands!

I also know about life getting in the way – my husband’s job dictated where we had to live for 11years (fortunately 5 years were here in the NW – that was our introduction)! When we were finally “free” to choose where to live – we came back to the Pacific NW.

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother – very nice of you to be there to help! – so many older people no longer have the option of family helping them – and they end up in very sad circumstances. I hope you’ll be able to move back for the fall! I know quite a few people who attend WWU – and love it.

sonyakhanum
        Participant

What a generous and caring heart you have with staying to care for your grandmother. I think it takes a special soul to do that.

Washington will always be here (or at the very least, for awhile haha). I hope you get to visit or come back soon!

We often get a beautiful view of Mt. Baker from our town across the border. It’s truly majestic and a nice representation of our neighbours in Washington.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by sonyakhanum.
      conniebv
      Participant

Lovely paintings! But first here is a capelet I made and then promptly stashed because where the hell do you wear it….

And a self-portrait I did some time ago, before baby. I haven’t painted in 5 + years….

Lori
        Participant

They are both wonderful! You have to find someplace to wear the capelet!! – such a shame to have it stashed and not enjoyed!

sonyakhanum
        Participant

Wow! Gorgeous capelet. I love the colour.

Lalou
      Participant

I see this is the place where we show how much we are involved into making things, so here I am. I admire you for being into different crafts, I am into embroidery only, but I luuuve it. Can’t imagine myself without some needlework in my hands while “watching” tv.
      Here are two of my works : a christening gown (for my goddaughter) and a… (cushion ?) I am working on at the moment.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Lalou.
        CelticGlamazon
        Participant

Your embroidery is amazing. I love the detail and vibrant colors. Thanks for sharing.

Lori
        Participant

Beautiful!

sonyakhanum
        Participant

Amazing! Love the detail. And that christening gown is so special. You’re all so talented and skilled.

velosewer
      Participant

I’ve made my first Outlander dress using some of the features on Claire’s surgery dress. It’s not supposed to be a costume but a bit of Outlander I can wear everyday. It’s the only way I could patiently wait for the rest of series 1.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by velosewer.
      • This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by velosewer.
      maureenanne
      Participant

check out my website http://www.celticblouses.com It has been so many years since I’ve looked at this but I saw CelticGlamazon’s new screenshot and it brought me right back to when I got together with several friends and created blouses based on the Pre Raphaelite paintings that I love. I like the way the medieval and Josephine blouses photographed because I could pair them with simple skirts and achieve the look I was looking for. I’m not so happy with what I loosely characterized as renaissance. I just did not have anything like the bum roll to achieve that exaggerated hip. I also later figured out how to sew some tiny crinoline under the bell sleeves to make them fan out. We used fabric scraps to make wraps and purses and I have a friend with industrial embroidery machine so we had fun adding images to the smaller things. I love Loreena McKennitt and so was able to give her the wrap that I created based on one of her recordings. I met her back stage…she is just amazing. There are a few really primitive images of chatelaine belts and I just needed a lot more experience in metal work. That is what I am into now…molding and hammering silver into linked chains. Still trying to create that perfect Chatelaine. I have a wrap inspired by Outlander…dragonfly in amber. The wrap is velvet on one side and then amber taffeta on the other. I should give as a gift to Terry! I really need to update this website. Would love your feedback.

nolakate
      Participant

magnificent!!! I love all of them. when looking at an antique design in modern-ish fabrics and colors, you can really see how fashion repeats over the years. most of the blouses can be worn to an office today with minor changes. thanks for sharing!

maureenanne
        Participant

Thanks for your kind words! We did take one of the medieval blouses and lengthen it to make a design for a local irish dance school. It was a challenge because the dancers wanted long flowy sleeves for certain dances but sleeveless for others. We finally figured out a way to hide the snaps and the final product looked great. I’ll see if I can find pic of that.

maureenanne
        Participant

Tried to attach some pics of the dance costume. We lengthened the blouse quite a bit to turn it into dress but some of the dancers still wanted to wear leggings under.

maureenanne
        Participant

CBS morning news featured a new company Princess Awesome breaking down gender barriers by adding toy and academic images (presumed to only appeal to boys) to girly dresses. Very clever and an example what a hobby could turn into.

mrsnocke
      Participant

I bought material to work on a skirt and I am too scared to actually start. I am not even close to being good at sewing but I have made a couple things.. I am wondering if it would be better to hand sew or use the machine. anyone have any advice for me? The style of Claire’s skirt is what I am intending to do.

maureenanne
        Participant

Hopefully others will chime in…I can only sew by hand so I’m limited. First off I admire your choice to do a Claire skirt. Did you find a pattern or are you making your own? Do you have a bodice already and will you attach the skirt to the bodice or will this be a separate piece? If you have some remnant materials that you don’t care too much about it might be good to do a practice skirt to make sure you like the pattern and don’t have to make any modifications. If you have any sort of pattern in the material then I think your biggest challenge will be cutting of the material and then arranging those tiny pleats at the top of the skirt. Check out the plaid dress that Claire wore to the gathering. I thought that lining up of the plaid was just beautiful. Terry just recently posted some pictures of a Claire dress with a mink trim. There is a close up view of the skirt to bodice. Good luck!

nolakate
      Participant

for those who make costumes, I just got an email invite to cosplaybymccalls.com which is a site highlighting cosplay pattern costumes.

lawrencji
      Participant

Ever since Oulander came on TV I have been so inspired by Terry\\\’s work and the brilliant performances – well the whole thing really. But I just finished my hand knit Sasenatch Faeire Woman . The a white silk dress is my small tribute to the brilliance of Terry Dresbach. it is trimmed in leaf lace (I wanted to honor that fabulous wedding dress), embellished with baroque freshwater pearls and gold rondelles. See her little dragonfly shoe buckles and vial of magic dress and magic herbs and faerie dust?

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.