Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

RECIPES (Scottish or otherwise)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion RECIPES (Scottish or otherwise)

Tagged: ,

• Creator
    Topic
    JenKrom
    Participant

Hello all!

I wrote a post last night over on the Tea Room thread introducing myself, and mentioned that I am (or was, before kids) a professional baker with a FANtastic (get it? huh? huh?) scone recipe that I have become known for. I am not one of those stingy bakers who keeps all her recipes to herself. Spread the love, say I! And in response to several requests, I decided to start up a recipe thread here for everyone to enjoy.

Before I post the scone recipe, I wanted to make mention of another fan blog devoted exclusively to Scottish cooking and the food featured in the Outlander book series: Outlander Kitchen. Here is the link: http://www.outlanderkitchen.com

I have no affiliation with the site or with Theresa, the chef. I am simply a fan!

• This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by JenKrom.
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by JenKrom.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      JenKrom
      Participant

SCINTILLATING SCONES by Jen Krom
      yield: 24 scones (don’t worry, you can freeze the raw dough!)

(This recipe is easy. I am simply wordy. And would rather over-describe than leave you scratching your head in confusion.)

1/2 pound (2 sticks) cold, unsalted butter

4 cups flour
      1/2 cup sugar
      2 tsp baking powder
      1/2 tsp baking soda
      1/4 tsp salt

1 pint (2 cups) heavy cream

1 cup add-ins (currants, chopped candied ginger, nuts, chocolate chips, dried cherries, etc.)

* Prep a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil, and set aside.
      * Prep an area to roll out the scone dough. It will start out as both crumbly and sticky, and then turn into beautiful dough.
      * If you plan to bake some scones immediately, preheat your oven to 400 F.

* In a medium bowl, quickly whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside.

* In a food processor, scoop roughly 2 cups of your dry mixture into the bowl, add 1 stick of butter (cut into chunks) and pulse a few times until the average piece of butter is now about the size of a pea.

(Don’t stress over this. If you pulse too long, your next batch of butter/flour can compensate for it. Or if you find a huge chunk of butter stuck under the blade, simply pick it out and add it to the next batch of whirring goodness. Also, if you do not have a food processor, a simple pastry cutter or two knives work just as well, only much slower.)

* Dump your butter/flour mixture into a large mixing bowl, checking for any huge lumps of butter. Repeat with the remaining 2 cups of dries and one stick of butter, adding in any butter chunks you found previously.

* When all of your flour and butter is pulsed and in the mixing bowl, stir in whatever add-ins tickle your fancy, and then finally add the heavy cream all at once.

* Stir until combined. You might need a big wooden spoon for this. Be forewarned that you will NOT be able to mix everything together smoothly with just a spoon. You will have lots of dry bits on the bottom and slimy bits stuck to the spoon. If it looks horrible at this point, you have done it correctly!

* Scrape it all out onto a floured work surface and be prepared to get your hands dirty. Now comes the fun part!

* Using your hands, begin to squeeze handfuls of the dough together until it forms one cohesive lump. At this point, you will still have stray dry bits that will stubbornly refuse to join in, kind of like your kids refusing to eat veggies. It will all turn out okay in the end, just like with kids and veggies.

* Shape your dough into a rough rectangle, about the size of a sheet of paper. Then fold the dough onto itself in thirds, EXACTLY as if you were folding a letter. (This step right here is where the magic takes place.) Once again, the dough will not exactly behave, so channel your inner Mrs, Fitz and show that dough who is boss! I have found that using a dough blade or spatula helps me to pick up the dough for folding.

* Using the palms of your hand, shape your dough back into the size and shape of letter paper. I do not use a rolling pin because the dough is so stiff, but feel free to experiment if you have bad wrists.

* Do the letter-folding technique THREE MORE TIMES. This transforms those pea-sized butter chunks into super-thin smears of butter that bake up into flaky layers. Think puff pastry or pie dough. Yummmmm!

* Shape the dough back into a rectangle, about 1 inch to 1.5 inches tall. Cut into 12 squares, then slice each square on the diagonal to make 24 triangles.

* Transfer over to your prepared sheet pan and place as-is in the freezer. When frozen solid, transfer to a freezer bag.

BAKING:

* If baking immediately, one option is to brush with egg wash and then sprinkle raw sugar on top. I rarely bother with that, but it can certainly add a nice touch. Regardless, place them on a parchment-lined sheet pan and bake at 400 F for about 15 minutes. The edges will be nicely golden brown, the tops will feel firm to the touch, and you will smell them before you open the oven door.

* If baking frozen dough, do NOT thaw them! Place frozen scones onto parchment-lined pans and bake the same as above, only adding about 5 extra minutes of cooking time.

Our family favorites, served on Christmas morning, include chopped candied ginger (for me and hubby), and M&M (for the Kromlets). Cool factoid about the M&M scones: the heavy cream dissolves some of the candy coating, so you get a really cool marbled dough!

Let me know when you make some!

Katie (@bunnums)
      Participant

Love this!

If anyone has suggestions for how to make Scottish oatmeal so it’s creamy and just the right soupiness, instead of gummy and chewy, I’d love to hear them. I’ve loved Scottish oatmeal ever since a stay at an Edinburgh hotel in 2001, but I’ve never been able to make it properly! And I’d say I’m a pretty decent cook/baker, so this is frustrating me to no end!

I’ll also go find some of my favorite recipes to post.

Katie

Tucsonlady
        Participant

Katie I got you covered. I have the easiest way to make perfect steel cut oats. Bring 4 cups water to boil on the stove. Add 1 cup steel cut oats and 1/4 tsp sea salt. Bring this back to a boil and boil for ONE minute only. Take pot completely off the burner and leave overnight on the stove. Next morning all you have to do is take out a serving of oats and warm it. You can nuke it or throw it in a pot on the stove. It’s creamy and perfectly cooked. Refrigerator any leftovers and just reheat a serving at a time.

Katie (@bunnums)
        Participant

I will try it, thanks!

JB
        Participant

Katie,

Where did you stay in Edinburgh? I was actually living in Glasgow in 2001. Anyway, while I was there, I met Scottish friends who taught me to make oats with milk, not water. I don’t really like how rich it comes out that way, so I make them with half milk, half water. For your steel-cut oats, try 2 cups milk (I use whatever’s in the fridge, usually low- or reduced-fat) and 2 cups water boiled together, then add the cup of oats and cook as usual from there.

I have also seen overnight recipes like Tucsonlady’s, but I haven’t tried one yet. Couldn’t get much easier than that, though!

Katie (@bunnums)
        Participant

We stayed at a place called Johnstounburn House Hotel a bit south of Edinburgh. I don’t know if it’s still around because I can’t find a a website for it.

Katie (@bunnums)
      Participant

I also make my own Chai tea mix. And this is great to put in a pretty jar and give as a gift.

Chai Tea Mix

1 c nonfat dry milk powder
      1 c powdered non dairy creamer
      1 c French vanilla powdered nondairy creamer
      2 1/2 c white sugar
      1 1/2 c unsweetened instant tea
      2 t ground ginger
      2 t cinnamon
      1 t ground cloves
      1 t ground cardamom

1. In a large bowl, combine milk powder, non-dairy creamer, vanilla flavored creamer, sugar and instant tea. Stir in ginger, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. In a blender or food processor, blend 1 cup at a time, until mixture is the consistency of fine powder.

2. To serve: Stir 2 heaping tablespoons Chai tea mixture into a mug of hot water.

Can also add nutmeg, allspice, and/or white pepper for extra spice. Makes about 5 cups of powdered mix.

awabbit
      Participant

Here’s the Lemon Curd recipe:

LEMON CURD
      T.= tablespoon
      tsp.= teaspoon
      C=cup

For 2 cups:
      6 T. unsalted butter (do NOT use margarine or salted butter!!)
      3/4 C granulated sugar ( I whirl mine in a blender to get finer crystals)
      2 tsp. freshly grated lemon rind (optional)
      ¼ C fresh lemon juice
      3 fresh whole eggs, beaten then strained (to remove chalazion)

For 2 2/3 cups:
      8 T. unsalted butter
      1 C. sugar
      3 tsp. lemon rind (optional)
      1/3 C. lemon juice
      4 eggs

STOVETOP METHOD
      Cut butter into 1 inch cubes, place in top of double boiler, over simmering water
      Add sugar, lemon rind (optional), and lemon juice
      Strain beaten eggs into this mixture
      Stir CONSTANTLY over medium heat until thickened. DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL!

MICROWAVE METHOD (I use this method; the quick results are worth it)
      Cut butter into 6-8 pieces, soften in 1 quart (liter) microwave safe bowl for 10 seconds on medium power
      Add sugar, lemon rind and lemon juice
      Strain beaten eggs into mixture and blend well
      Cover bowl with waxed paper and cook on HIGH power a total of 2 minutes and 45 seconds ( for 2 C. amount) or about 3 minutes and 15 seconds ( 2 2/3 C. amount) stirring every 30 seconds, until mixture becomes smooth and thick.
      DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL OR MIXTURE WILL SEPARATE AND EGGS WILL CURDLE.
      Pour into clean ½ pint/500 ml. jars and cool to thicken further
      Lemon Curd MUST be refrigerated
      So good with fresh scones ;}
      *You may use any citrus or even fresh passion fruit juice ( this makes an awesome curd

JenKrom
        Participant

Mmmmmm! Thank you! I adore lemon curd, and haven’t made it in ages. I’m definitely going to try this one.

awabbit
        Participant

I have a wealth of lemons on my 4 trees so I use those. It really pains me to have to purchase lemons, and I’ll never take my supply of these for granted!
        ;}

Lori
      Participant

Hi, I am looking for a good (and hopefully simple) recipe for pasties/bridies, etc., including different fillings, such as meat, cheese and potato, etc. I’d also be interested to find instructions on how to successfully freeze and reheat them.

We’ve had amazing pasties in small out of the way village bakeries and would love to be able to enjoy them at home!

Thanks! Lori

Sanderson
      Participant

Tried something new today … Scottish Shortbread made with brown sugar instead of white. I can’t taste much difference between the two. Shortbread and a cup of tea are a delightful tea-time treat, and it could NOT be easier to make!

1 lb. butter (I used salted and it was fine)
      1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
      4 – 41/2 cups of all purpose flour

In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add 3-3/4 cups flour and mix well. Turn onto a floured surface. Add enough flour to form a soft dough.

Roll to 1/2-in. thickness (I just used my hands to form the dough into shape; it fit on a cookie sheet and was the right thickness). Cut into 3-inch x 1-inch strips. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Prick each piece a few times with fork. Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Makes about 4 dozen.

Brew your favorite tea, put a few of these babies on a plate and take a short trip to Scotland! 🙂

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.