Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Question for those in the film industry

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion Question for those in the film industry

• Creator
    Topic
    michellibell
    Participant

I have a student who would really like to get into the design elements of the movie industry. She is a very talented artist, and has made it to the State Finals 3 times in Theatrical Design.
    She has family in Southern California, and is thinking about attending college there.
    What, in your opinion, are the best schools for costume design / set design?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

First of all, I cannot in all good conscience recommend that any young person get into the film industry, and definitely not if they are female. Our son is studying film, I wish he wasn’t, but I am not going to stand in front of a moving vehicle. Our daughter, fortunately, has shown no interest.

I don’t know of many costume or set designers who actually studied their fields in school. Most of them are art school grads. I believe that FIDM has programs in costume design now, and USC, might, but I am not sure.
      NYU has the best programs for costume and stage design.

Not trying to rain on anyone’s parade, and others may say something different. That is just MY personal perspective.

michellibell
      Participant

Thank you for the heads up, Terry. And thank you for the 40th birthday shout-out 🙂

She is just so, so talented. I’ve been the one really encouraging her to push herself and look beyond her horizons. For years she’s always said she just wanted to become a high school Theater teacher, “Just like you Mrs. Arlitt,” but I’ve been telling her there is a lot more in the world that she could grab.
      She is a beautiful artist and I’ll tell her about FIDM and USC, but I will also give her your warning.
      Thanks!!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.