Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Men' shirts

• Creator
    Topic
    SherryeDee
    Participant

I’d like to know more about the long scarves/ties that men wrap around their necks. The typical shirts don’t have deep collars – how long are the scarves? What were they called? Was there some specific function for them?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Barbara Morck
      Participant

The English term is ‘stock’; the French term is ‘cravat’. Take a look here: http://www.thequartermastergeneral.com/?category=18_cloth

About 1/4 way down page, their listing for cravats begins: linen, silk, white or black, several sizes. Function: neck protection, emergency bandage, cooling element (dip it in the stream then rewind)(linen not silk), finishing.

Further down, they also offer shirts saying that the collars are fold-over, 2 button from documented 18th century source. From what I remember of Jamie’s shirt, his collar is one rectangular piece that is folded then covered by the ‘stock’ for the his magnificence in the kirk-yard. See the difference compared to BJR’s stock that he spills wine on in Ep. 108. BJR’s stock is paltry stuff by comparison with Jamie’s.

Same link — all the way at the bottom has waistcoats and the last item is adding back lacing — necessary if your waist measurement equals or exceeds chest measurement. I’ve thought perhaps Jamie’s back-laced vest was an inheritance from his father…

SherryeDee
      Participant

Thanks – the website was very helpful. I had looked up “cravat,” but was unfamiliar with the term “stock.” Saw that they were 9″ wide and 60″ long – and could be used as an emergency bandage or for cooling. I’ve never seen one separated from the shirt in a movie – never saw anyone remove it for any other use.

rachely
        Participant

Colonial Williamsburg is always a handy place for fashion history. Linky-loo here for men’s clothes

And here’s a video from Claude Moore Farm about dressing women and men. Unlike CW, where it is generically “colonial times” and mostly represents merchants and landowners (and slaves), at Claude Moore Farm it is always 1771 and it represents a farm rather than a city (so more like Fraser’s Ridge). (I’ll be a volunteer there next season–I’ll finally have an excuse to wear my stays! also to hang out with piglets…) SPOILERS: One would assume that if Outlander makes it to Season 4 Jamie and Claire, et al, will be dressing like this when they’re on the farm.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.