Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Male View Point

• Creator
    Topic
    maureenanne
    Participant

I did not realize that the Outlander novels and series have such a strong male following. I am curious about this. While I won’t be able to get my husband to read Outlander (he reads primarily biographies), I did get him to watch the first several episodes. I have not given him any details abut the shows and I don’t answer any of his question. I am going to share his rambling thoughts in case this may be of interest to you and would love to hear more thoughts from men regarding the books/series. Please don’t judge him…he is a pretty basic guy. Here goes: (” I like the shows. Episode 1 – Excellent cast/acting. I was impressed with the Reverend’s housekeeper. She did a great job. The scene where Frank walks back to the B&B and sees the man vanish was creepy and I wondered if this was going to be a gory scene. Episode 2&3 – Jesus, what happened to Jamie’s back? Mrs. Fitz reminds me of your mom. While Colum and Dougal are trying to figure out who Claire is, they have given her two bodyguards. Doesn’t she realize this? Her medical skills set her apart. I enjoyed the bread toss to Claire from Column’s wife. It set the tone…we are down to earth so don’t act all high and mighty. Can you imagine having your daughter whipped in public? What an ass. I did fall asleep during some of this episode but we were out late last night. Episode 4 – Best episode so far. The Gathering seemed authentic and I liked the history and military aspects. I said outloud before Jamie did that Claire was never going to escape the castle. Of course, there were sentries in the woods. Jamie is boyish and not quite up to Dougal’s experience but he has to step up and protect Claire because her two bodyguards are incompetent. Dougal has the burden of being responsible for many lives and he seems to do this well. Yes I think Claire, Geillis and Laoghaire are really attractive. Yes I can see this is a love story. It reminds me of Sting’s, Fortress Around Your Heart. I’ll watch the rest of the episodes with you”) 🙂

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      rachely
      Participant

My husband thinks it is okay. His engineering mind has a lot of trouble with the time travel. And like me he doesn’t like surprises so he’s already quizzed me about what happens in the rest of the books.

He thinks future-book Frank is pussy whipped (there’s probably a more PC word for that).

And he’s sad I don’t find SH more attractive since that might equal more sex for him.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by rachely.
        maureenanne
        Participant

My husband just thought Frank was a bore which surprised me because he is a huge history buff. He is hoping that Dougal gets Claire because he saved her from the wild boar. Right now he seems to identify with Dougal. Will be interesting to see his reaction to next few episodes.

Maggie
        Participant

My husband thinks the same. I’ve been trying to explain to him that Dougal can’t marry Claire because she’s English and that would stand in the way of Dougal’s Clan Leadership and he keeps saying that Dougal clearly likes her. He takes it all so seriously.

barbc624
      Participant

My husband won’t quite admit to being hooked on the show but he has watched every episode and had some interesting comments on it which sadly I can’t remember anymore!

conniebv
        Participant

My husband has no interest in the show whatsoever, but he is supportive of my (to him) surprisingly committed involvement. If I bring something up he’ll discuss it, but he’s more into Black Sails.

sonyakhanum
      Participant

My husband enjoys the show and watches it with me (he even suggested that we have an Outlander marathon one night). I don’t think he enjoys it as much as I do, but he definitely likes it. He’s a huge Ron D. Moore fan too, so that might explain his interest. He also loves scifi/fantasy/history.

He’s read the first two books. He just finished DIA last week, and couldn’t put the book down toward the end (he actually read the book instead of watching a very important hockey game – I was impressed and it was totally out of character for him). But, he’s an avid reader and seems to have no boundaries in terms of what genre he reads (eg. he’s read the entire Sookie Stackhouse series, whereas I just can’t be bothered by it), so that might explain his interest in the books.

He’s quite sympathetic toward Frank. While we were watching the show, and before he started reading the book, he kept reminding me about how unfortunate it is for Frank (ie. losing your wife to time, having her fall in love with another, etc.). Gives me an interesting perspective about Frank.

We often talk about casting for DIA and we had VERY different ideas about Roger – he imagined him as a “bookish” type guy (he gave Ben Winshaw as an example)…totally not how I imagined him.

If I remember anything else he says, I’ll let you all know 🙂

maureenanne
        Participant

Please do! I find this so interesting. We are going to watch another episode this weekend and I can’t wait to see my husband’s reaction to Dougal…collecting rent.

maureenanne
        Participant

Watched episode 5 last night with the husband. He is still in the Dougal camp…” ripping shirt of Jamie’s back was for dramatic effect and justified to increase the collection. Jamie is much more competent bodyguard than Rupert and Angus. Jamie is kind of a puppy. I can see how Claire (if she stays with the Scots) is going to try to prevent Culloden. I think Claire is going to decide to stay with the Scots because she is relatively safe with them (has not been raped) and she might get a chance to run back to the mystical stones. If the English take Claire, Dougal will get her back. Dougal is not entirely sure he can trust her but he is really attracted to her. Claire has a beautiful complexion. Claire might not like Dougal now but she will if he rescues her right? Enjoyed the episode.”

Lalou
      Participant

Funny ! While I (am I the only one ?) watched how the story between Claire and Jamie progresses, he goes directly to the man with power and authority. Men ! LOL

maureenanne
        Participant

We are snowed in and our heater went out today. It is 5 degrees outside and in our 1924 house we have only one fireplace to keep us warm. I am going to see if the kids fall asleep in front of the fire, the husband I can binge watch the remaining episodes…At some point he is going to figure out that Jamie is King!

Lalou
      Participant

I hope Claire and Jaimie will keep you warm, Maureenanne. I am sending you my warmest thoughts, it may help too.

maureenanne
      Participant

Many thanks! The old steam heater is working again today. We did watch episode 6 and I have to say my husband was critical. The scene with Dougal allowing Claire to wash alone and then joining her just did not ring true for him. He kept saying ..”Dougal knows the countryside much better than the Brits. There is no way he would allow this to happen.” After Claire was spotted by the Officer, Dougal would have paid particular attention to banding together. I did tell him that this particular part of the story was not in the book. 🙂 He could not believe that Dougal did not claim Claire for himself. Of course, I am not telling him anything and so he does not know Dougal is married. He did not see how Jamie lived through the flogging. BJR is one of the more despicable characters he has seen….of course he usually just watches sports. Episode was a little dark for him.

JB
        Participant

It’s interesting to hear the viewpoint of someone who hasn’t read the books — and is male! It’s a really good point that the show didn’t establish that Dougal is married. I wonder if a lot of show-only folks are confused about why he keeps coming on to her when he could have just married her himself.

My husband could not be less interested in Outlander or books or TV in general, so I have zero to share here. 🙂

maureenanne
        Participant

I have fingerless gloves on as I write this…heater still acting up and kids have been off school all week 🙁 So, the husband and I did watch the wedding episode. He just squirmed in his chair the whole time. His only comment…”Aw Babe, I think this episode was just for you”.

GingerMostly
      Participant

My husband watches it with me and enjoys it. He’s also quizzed me on future events, but I try not to give him much in the way of spoilers. He has said he’s going to read the first book after the first season is over, though I have my doubts about his follow through.

He usually watches it with me the second time I watch, because he’s prone to making snarky comments. I’ve included some of his reactions and comments in a few of my recaps because they can be pretty amusing at times. He says “I’m into it, I like it. Just…not the way YOU like it.”

maureenanne
      Participant

Thanks! I read through your old ones and really enjoyed them! I too loved the shaving scene. I remember my dad shaving with an old fashioned brush and bay rum soap bar and I just love that scent.

maureenanne
        Participant

So we watched the last episode prior to hiatus and my husband definitely enjoyed it. We love dogs and I could tell that my husband was taken with the series when he indicated that Dougal reminded him of our dog Max (all business, family protector, alpha man of the house) and Jamie reminded him of our dog Archie (young, doesn’t know his own strength, very sweet). High praise from my husband considering how much he loves our dogs. When my daughter started to go to pre-school behind our house, Max dug under the fence and managed to get into the school and find her classroom three days in a row. After that, he decided she was O.K. 🙂
        All that said, I don’t think he would have watched the series without my prompting. None of the marketing efforts would have reached him even though he is a big history buff and loves military strategy. So, my very small and personal study leads me to conclude that at least some of the guys watching Outlander have been prompted by wives, girlfriends, partners. It might not be a bad idea to introduce articles about the show to some of those history and military strategy publications. Might get some additional viewers from guys who are interested in Scottish history, weapons of 1700s, and the American Revolution. Just a thought.

maureenanne
        Participant

So we watched the last episode prior to hiatus and my husband definitely enjoyed it. We love dogs and I could tell that my husband was taken with the series when he indicated that Dougal reminded him of our dog Max (all business, family protector, alpha man of the house) and Jamie reminded him of our dog Archie (young, doesn’t know his own strength, very sweet). High praise from my husband considering how much he loves our dogs. When my daughter started to go to pre-school behind our house, Max dug under the fence and managed to get into the school and find her classroom three days in a row. After that, he decided she was O.K. 🙂
        All that said, I don’t think he would have watched the series without my prompting. None of the marketing efforts would have reached him even though he is a big history buff and loves military strategy. So, my very small and personal study leads me to conclude that at least some of the guys watching Outlander have been prompted by wives, girlfriends, partners. It might not be a bad idea to introduce articles about the show to some of those history and military strategy publications. Might get some additional viewers from guys who are interested in Scottish history, weapons of 1700s, and the American Revolution. Just a thought.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.