• Author
    Replies
      Katie (@bunnums)
      Participant

I haven’t seen it yet, but already know the answer to that one. 🙂

Katie

lorirenfro1
      Participant

Beautiful! I loved the plaid draped across him.

lorirenfro1
      Participant

Was there a bit of red in the Fraser tartan? It looked liked it, but I couldn’t tell for sure.

4nikikelly
      Participant

Instead of skirted, you had it over his shoulder, much like Dougal’s and I thought it looked very ceremonious and handsome. Like he was dressing how he thought a man should to honor a lady.

lorirenfro1
        Participant

Yes! A very formal look to it. And it certainly made him look grande. 🙂

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

Exactly.

kukrae
        Participant

Okay, but HOW?? Do you still pleat it as much as normal? How do you get the piece to drape? I’m serious, trying to figure this out has been driving me buggy! :):)

Is only a portion of the plaid used for the actual kilt?

Tamara

Mandy Tidwell
      Keymaster

Jamie literally took my breath away. I thought he looked great. And Sam looks so much younger when clean shaven.

MelissaP
      Participant

Loved it! Couldn’t distinguish the colors clearly on the Fraser tartan…looked similar to the McKenzie/Outlander tartan. Did it have red in it?
      Also noticed the tartan draped across his arm instead of under…more formal? Wish I could have seen more of the jacket.

ellenchristine
      Participant

yes, ma’am! resplendant as he emerged from that silhouetted doorway into the light. The frock coat is so cool, with the “pleated” details and those buttons set just the most grand tone. Loved the lace on his frill, too. Very boy into man moment.

Shanaynay
      Participant

So glad this is a topic. The dress was…well it was THE dress…stunning, but Jamie’s wedding finery was a gasp moment. He looked resplendent! Regal almost with rustic flair. The coat was the most perfect tone of green..can you tell us more about the fabric and inspiration?…and that subtle red in the plaid complemented his locks and the landscape. The bride gets most of the attention, as she may well should, but this groom looked knee-weakening handsome. Bravo to your team and for Mr. Heughan for righteously wearing that ensemble! Wow.

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

I am so glad of this post. Jamie’s costume was hugely important to me! I really wanted to transition him into the man he is becoming as he steps up to his marriage. And he needs to dashing as he does it!!!

Shanaynay
        Participant

Looking forward to you posting about the inspiration and fabric/fabrication details. Thanks…
        Hoping you are having a nice day.

BLB
      Participant

Wow! He cleans up really well, doesn’t he? I would like to see a close up of just the frock coat without the plaid covering it. It looked truly beautiful.

Lynn
      Participant

I really liked the way he looked so much more like the man we know he will become, and that made the virgin until married the more precious 😉
      So here I am, totally onboard with the decision against a black-red Fraser tartan-but still there are a couple of questions that I have thought about-lol. BTW, i found a Fraserhunting tartan (weathered), see below, that looks similar-for all those that might go and complain, that is!
      The brooch Murtagh asked Jamie for – in that context it seemed to me it was his mother’s, also because the size is a little small for all that plaid so I wondered might it have been Ellen’s, to wear on a woolen fichu?
      In the book he was wearing a running stag brooch, but even though there might be more than one of those, seeing as the stag is the Fraser clan badge, I remember MacRannoch giving him a beautiful one after xxx, so by all means, he could be wearing that one as a ghost when Frank sees him – which alo gives the ghost a timeline as well.
      But what made me wonder was the delicate flower design on the brooch, which for me was reminiscent of Parisian decor around the 1900’s, L’Art Nouveau, so to speak . . a little anachronistic,.. I hope I’m mistaken? I for one would have loved it if they would have been thistles or celtic ornaments.
      The way Jamie wore his plaid draped over the one arm looked very formal – also because it must be quite impractical, but it added to the way the coat enhanced his stature und gave his shoulders the extra width to balance out Claire’s enourmous skirts. What I couldn’t discern by watching the episode was how the plaid came up from his kilt, because it is still supposedly a feiladh mhor, isn’t it? Or is it a separate piece with this outfit?
      I would like to say that the way the lace was added made me sigh in relief, after the abundance in lacey jabots of the Garrison commander I was hesitant to see Jamie turned into a frilled dress-up mannequin for Scots finery – lol
      I liked the pin that he wore (although we didn’t get any backstory I whish it was his fathers’, since he didn’t wear his ruby cabochon ring I’d like to think he was present in some of Jamie’s finery).
      Jamie’s and Claire’s outfits were by far the best eyecandy we’ve yet had on this show, and THAT is saying something!!!! Bravo, for an extraordinarily well done execution of a pivotal scene for these two characters!!

KPfeiffer
        Participant

I, too, thought the tartan was the hunters plaid for Fraser so didn’t mind in the least. The back story on how it had been appropriated made the hunters plaid more likely than the formal bright red/black Fraser colors in my opinion.

I also agree that the lace was perfect for the man, not too frilly but in keeping with the occasion.

I thought all the costuming was wonderful throughout.

Siobhan
        Participant

Yes–I thought Jamie’s Fraser plaid looks a lot like one of the ancient Fraser hunting plaids. Then I thought it might be just wishful thinking on my part… 😉

Dorothy
        Participant

I wanted to respond to your remark about Murtagh and the brooch. I’ll be circumspect to avoid spoilers. I remember reading once (sorry, can’t recall where) that a plaid brooch was a traditional gift to a little boy from the man related to him in the way Murtagh is related to Jamie. So Murtagh might have a bit of a proprietary interest in the brooch, and that part of the scene is a way for the two characters to re-establish and re-inforce their closeness.

I also thought the bit about the brooch might foreshadow two other gifts of jewelry showing up at opportune times.

Laura
      Participant

Absolutely perfect, Terry. Jamie looked just as I envisioned. The transformation from how he appeared in previous episodes took my breath away. Transformation from boy to man. I love the colors in the tartan. And the jacket — so handsome. He wore it well.

BeckyVK
      Participant

Well done, Terry! Jamie was so dashing, he took my breath away. Did you create the Fraser tartan for the episode?

Ally_
      Participant

A Highlander in full regalia is an impressive sight—any Highlander, no matter how old, ill-favored, or crabbed in appearance. A tall, straight-bodied, and by no means ill-favored young Highlander at close range is breath-taking.

I had this line running through my head so couldn’t wait to see Jamie dressed for the wedding. Terry, you did not disappoint. My breath caught just as I’d hoped it would. He looked absolutely stunning. Thank you!

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

That was the line running in my head as I designed it, it HAD to match that!

elizlk
        Participant

I see the Jamie wedding outfit post is up – and gorgeous! Can you post more about the different pieces … jacket, waistcoat, etc and the touches over here for discussion? Amazing work and fabrics, I’m sure (almost) worth as much attention as the dress …. 😉

barbc624
      Participant

As with Claire, Jamie was perfect. What a transformation from the “grubby stable lad” to the Laird. He took my breath away as he was meant to.

I had heard that we would not be wearing the Fraser plaid somewhere but was so pleased to see that he was in fact wearing it. I loved the one you used instead – it felt much more authentic than the bright red and black one described in the book.

Thank you once again for sharing your talent with all of us. It is so clear to see that what you do on this show is a labor of love – it comes through in every costume as well as on your terrific blog posts. I only wish I had half your talent…

mque
      Participant

Thank you for bringing the written word to life! I too was looking forward to seeing Jamie transform into a form of the Laird of Lallybroch. His formal bow to Claire, his manners and grace are reflected in his costume. Perfection. Hints of the man he is becoming. He’s really going to knock the stockings off those French court ladies in Season 2! (No padding anywhere for him like some of the fops of that era.)

So many layers of clothing for both Claire & Jamie. To get completely undressed shows a real vulnerability. I appreciate the fact that it takes them a while to get there. I’ve even seen and read about bathing with shifts on.

Kudos to you & your team.

Connie Sandlin
      Participant

Aside from the tartan, could you please give us some more details about the fabrics and tailoring in Jamie’s splendid wedding garments, Terry? Sam Heughan looked like a young Apollo in his glorious Highlander garb, and when he “made a leg” to Claire, I wished we could have seen that from the front and not just he back. So elegant he was in his wedding garb!

andeesings
      Participant

Terry he’s beyond dashing. I LOVE this costume. The colors are just exquisite and go so beautifully with his red hair. I love looking at the detail photos– how did that geometric pattern get on the velvet of the coat by the buttons? The new drape of his plaid emphasizes the width of his shoulders and just makes him so imposing. Even the sword leaves me swooning. The plaid, to, with that thin line of red as the perfect nod to the bright tartan in the book– so clever!!! It’s so clear how lovingly it was designed.

Pamela
      Participant

[quote quote=1625]Is he dashing enough?[/quote]
      Dashing is EXACTLY the word I would use. I had this discussion w/my DH as he is watching the show with me, but has not read the books–although he knows everything about the series, the actors, Ron, you, etc… Sam, I mean Jamie, comes out very put together, like a man and someone of culture and worth. My husband agreed… Sam makes Jamie SO, SO charming. For my DH who has never read the books that exactly how he saw Jamie. I love the way you decided how he would wear his tartan. Just perfect!

@jeanniefec
      Participant

Holy Wow!! I didn’t know who to look at at first. It was like a tennis match. Must look at Claire’s gown, but Jaysus, look at Jamie, no look at Clair.No Jamie! I personally loved the green coat. I’m a big fan of men’s coats (for myself). I would wear this. Of course not as well as Jamie 🙂 It was perfect and the look from behind Jamie with his sword as he bowed to Claire–OMG. It took my breath away. Once again, you got it just right. Love you guys!

kukrae
      Participant

I have to ask…how in the world is the plaid draped? In this case is it separate from the kilt? I’ve been rewinding and replaying so much trying to figure this out.

🙂
      Tamara
      kukrae

Tanyap
      Participant

Terry, I was wondering about the pin he wore on his neck area. Could you give us a close up of that pin?

Thanks,
      Tanya

Lori
      Participant

Jamie was breathtaking!! All of it so well done – loved the way the colors and textures all went together! Loved the shade of green, detailng and fabric of the coat! The buttons were amazing – great detail! The simple lace detail on the stock and on the edge of the cuff of his shirt was just perfect for the special occasion – and for his “transition to laird”.

I agree with a post above – it was so difficult to take in all of the gorgeous details of both Claire and Jamie’s finery when both were onscreen – I just had to watch the episode several times! Both Sam & Cait looked so wonderful – everything suited them so perfectly – and their characters as well!

Well done!
      Lori

Hi Terry, been looking at the gorgeous costume for Jamie again & wsa wondering what the buttons were made of. They look like a steel mesh of some kind. Just lovely.

michellibell
      Participant

I loved Jamie’s look. It was perfect – especially his tartan draped over his shoulder. I really loved his green coat – if I could find that in my size, I’d wear it everywhere.

kbeauty63
      Participant

Jamie was perfection in all his wedding finery. I’ll agree with everyone else – we need more close up pictures! I *adore* all the beautiful work you have done in bringing our characters to life. Cannot wait to see what you do for season 2.

Door
      Participant

He was resplendent. Brilliant as the sun.

firstlove
      Participant

I am looking forward to the Jamie post. Thank you!

Knowing nothing about kilts, I looked up how a kilt is put on. One great piece that is pleated up and then the wearer lies down on the floor to wrap it around then belt it on.

My question is how or when does the coat go on? Where does the upper part of the kilt come out to wrap around the outside and drape behind. It makes the kilt look like two pieces.

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

The coat comes on before the plaid is pulled around the shoulders or torso. The jacket is called a Highland jacket and is shorter then the usual Frockcoat, so that the plaid can be pulled up without folding large portions of the coat up as well.

llerickson86
      Participant

Having a skin made for my iPhone and would like the Fraser tartan. Is there photo I can upload? I have looked on various sites and am not sure which one it is from the wedding. Thanks so much. I thought the wedding was beautiful.

cegabq
      Participant

Amazing work Terry! And in your post about his wedding garb, I was really glad to see you write “Not exactly sure what they did to the color when they shot this pic, but it has been bugging me. I tried to get it closer to the actual color. His coat is not green, it is blue, much closer to the color of his waistcoat, though it does tint a bit to the teal.”
      When I saw the stills, I went back to my TV & started fiddling with the colors! Because his garb sure wasn’t showing up as green on my TV. LOL

ValhallaLilly
      Participant

Only have internet on weekends but glad to see I haven’t missed this thread!
      I’m not usually interested in men’s wear but this was really good looking on him and lots of interest to see.
      I’m guessing the velvet coat was embossed to get the detail?
      And I also like how the kilts seem not to be hemmed? Just rip a large piece and go!

Elaine
      Participant

The attached photo is one I found that shows the wedding coat in blue.

Catullus_1000
      Participant

Jamie’s wedding costume completely transformed him — it was absolutely breathtaking and yet perfectly balanced to Claire’s magnificent dress. The cinematography was beautifully done and gave us a full look at the wedding attire. Would love to see closeups of the detailing on the coat and the diamond pin. Can’t thank you enough for bringing this special moment to life and exceeding all expectations. Also loved your sweet, yet temporary, farewell to Scotland. Enjoy your family time.

dksaga
      Participant

Perfect.

I was kind of stressing about all the grumbling in the run-up to the wedding episode about the non-red/black tartan (as per The Book) and was kind of appalled by it. Honestly, how would red/black in any way look good on a redhead? I’ve got to squint just looking at the words, can’t imagine the difficulty in looking at the actual colors on the man. No matter how beautiful the man. Seriously.

But to be truly serious, the line about the “sun coming out” that Jamie applied to Claire at the wedding is the reverse of the book, where Claire refers to Jamie that way when he appears for the wedding, and whoa did you manage that. The colors were gorgeous and suited him perfectly, the way the plaid (is that the right word for it?) was around his chest and arm gave him the appearance of almost royalty …. and after all, he is a laird, even if he’s not able to publicly claim the mantle …. and he truly looked the part and was, just as Herself termed it in the book, “breath-taking.” Though I loved the way it (the “sun coming out” line) was flipped to be part of his narration of the wedding, just so lovely and romantic coming from him. But his appearance was just stunning.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by dksaga.
      • This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by dksaga.
      • This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by dksaga. Reason: Now editing because my edits aren't showing up, so am fussing with it. Neglecting my kids. Done now
      Siobhan
      Participant

Yes. Whoa, and how. Swoon.

firstlove
      Participant

[quote quote=2450]The coat comes on before the plaid is pulled around the shoulders or torso. The jacket is called a Highland jacket and is shorter then the usual Frockcoat, so that the plaid can be pulled up without folding large portions of the coat up as well. [/quote]

Thank you Terry for explaining how it is done. Dressing Jamie in that Great Kilt would be nice if it had its own visual like Ron did with dressing Claire. All those layers, plus how the one piece of plaid is pleated on the floor, belted and then pulled up and around the torso is a bit mind boggling for the modern day viewer. Those kinds of details I really love. So, thank you again. It adds to my enjoyment and appreciation of the show for me very much.

suekirk
      Participant

Terry,
      Do you have any information on Jamie’s (Ellen’s) brooch? I have one that looks similar, but I can’t find any details on it.
      Thanks,
      Sue

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.