Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

SEPTEMBER 2015 – SPOILER FREE TEA ROOM

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion SEPTEMBER 2015 – SPOILER FREE TEA ROOM

• Creator
    Topic
    Katie (@bunnums)
    Participant

A new thread for general conversations, this one to be spoiler free for anything past season 1 of Outlander. I’m sure other conversations will pop up that aren’t spoiler free for those of us who want to have those discussions.

What shall we talk about? 🙂

Katie

Viewing 57 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

Need to delete the human wig hair threads!!! LOL

Katie (@bunnums)
      Participant

Goodness, I don’t know why that first post showed up empty. I had a whole bit written out in there!

Basically, just wanted to say this is a new thread for general conversation with no spoilers past season 1 of Outlander. Others, I’m sure, will create posts where we can discuss season 2 spoilers.

And you know you’ve made it when the spammers find your forum. 🙂

Katie

KimTBarnesCPA
        Participant

Wha?? Human hair wig thread? I think I missed something vital here.

Katie (@bunnums)
        Participant

It was a spam thread. 🙂

JuliaTowers
      Participant

Well hello there! I think I made it to the right spot 😜

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

OKAY, it may be a bumpy start, but we will get the old ship tricked out and ready to sail again!

roninlove
        Participant

YAY Sailing ships! Here I am, late to the party as always. I might just lurk a bit (or not)..just checking this out. Looks like fun. I’ve had a WordPress blog for several years now (just random navel gazey type stuff. Nothing terribly important in it), but never bothered to read or follow anyone else really until this year.

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

We are working on the forum. May change to an easier system. The Fairies are on it!!

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

We are working on the forum. May change to an easier system. The Fairies are on it!!

Hadley_LP
        Participant

Glad to be here again! Looking forward to it.

jaymesage
        Participant

Made it in but my avatar looks like crap. Must fix that.

JanieG
        Participant

Thank for doing this Terry, we had quite a discussion on Twitter about not wanting spoilers and I am more than pleased that you are giving us a place to discuss the costumes that we have already seen and not be disappointed by seeing what is to come. The tidbits that you choose to show us, are a treat.

Again, thank you, we all know how swamped you and your staff are and we appreciate your time for us.

katejlongo
      Participant

So, excited! I have said it many other places here but thank you Terry for all your and your groups hard work. I am just amazed at the costuming. The attention to detail of the period, just everything.
      I am also saying thanks for interacting with us. It is not everyday that a non-production person gets a real view of the other side.
      As a sewer and embroiderer, I am just in awe.

Katie (@bunnums)
      Participant

Has anyone not read Dragonfly in Amber or any of the following books?

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

Good point, where is the spoiler line? Books? TV??

Katie (@bunnums)
        Participant

I was assuming, for no real reason, that season 1/book 1 are fair game, but beyond that is not. But I’m more than happy to declare all Outlander off limits in this particular thread if that’s what others want. Hopefully there will be plenty of other threads for those discussions.

Katie

MedusaZ
        Participant

I hope I am replying to Katie—-In reply to your question about what people have read.

I have read all of the Outlander Big books except for MOBY

@auntbabs74
        Participant

I have read all the books, novellas, bulges except for Virgins and The Exile. I don’t want to spoil things for anyone and want to be respectful of those who have not read so far. I will follow any guidelines that are set.

jaymesage
        Participant

I’ve read and reread all of the books more times than I can count. Seriously. It’s an addiction.

Mistahbue
        Participant

I’m here from this dang smart phone! I’ve read everything except Echo and MOBY. Started Echo then set it aside to read OL all over. I followed Herself’s times line thingy and seen book spoilers in CompuServe rooms.

Okay with boom spoilers. Just makes me read faster!

Thank the universe for edit function.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Mistahbue.
      KimTBarnesCPA
      Participant

I’ve read just about everything DG has written. #rabidreader

katejlongo
      Participant

Read everything except The Exile. Just can’t grasp the comic (graphic novel) book concept.
      I will say though, that I am curious to see casting and wardrobe for LJG. With Terry’s gorgeous military wardrobing so far….well I am excited.

Katie (@bunnums)
        Participant

I’m currently reading ABOSAA on my third time through the series.

I read The Exile once. I’m glad I did – it took less than an hour to read cover to cover. But I doubt I’ll go back to it. Just not my cuppa.

roninlove
        Participant

I rather liked The Exile, but then I do enjoy graphic novels. It’s a more visual experience, and as an artist, I appreciate the work that goes into them…it’s NOT an easy thing to do. Certainly not something MY skills are equal to, that’s for sure. Of course, I DID take issue with some things regarding the art in the book (I’m sorry but the artist can NOT draw horses…), but for the most part enjoyed it.

juliet3911
      Participant

Thank you .. am glad people are back!

juliet3911
      Participant

Am excited for S2 next year and for D G s book 9. Am getting older and really looking forward to all of it. LOVE the tidbits Terry puts out and Diane s excerpts for book 9. Thanks very much. My best to all involved!

juliet3911
      Participant

Ready to re_read book 2 so I am prepared for S2. Appreciate the books and shows are two different mediums and love them both!

juliet3911
      Participant

I don’t post much and these may be my only ones for awhile but I am out here reading all everyone posts and what is said and the goings on so thank you all again. By the way… the million dollar question…. who will play Brianna ? : ) had to ask. 🙂

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

No idea! I am very curious

Katie (@bunnums)
        Participant

Aren’t we all! Though to be honest, I’m more curious (not worried at all, but highly curious) about how the 1940s/1960s scenes will be handled in S2. Can’t wait to find out!

Katie

MedusaZ
      Participant

Knock, Knock…Hellllloooo..Is this the Spoiler Free Tea Room? I hope so. Been having problem with Liking Terry’s posts. Apparently I need to have a wordpress account to Like something. That’ s OK, I can simply come here and chat.

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

Glad you made it. Work in progress

MedusaZ
        Participant

Thanks Heaps Terry

daloeb
      Participant

I think I made it in. Technology and I don’t always get along.

MedusaZ
        Participant

Hi daloeb, Nice to see ya. I don’t usually have a problem with technology, but I got a bit confused about having a Terry Forum PW/account and a WordPress/PW account. I’m just happy I can post here.

daloeb
        Participant

Thanks for the welcome. I actually work in an elementary school so it’s kind of embarrassing how badly I handle technology. Thankfully it’s second nature to the kids.

Elaine
        Participant

Same here! I finally found it…not easily done with a migraine.

MedusaZ
        Participant

So sorry to hear about your migraine. Not fun. I would think the last thing you should do with a migraine is try to register for a forum….but you did it. I hope the migraine goes away soon.

Elaine
        Participant

Thank you. Doing things online actually is a great distraction from the migraines..though you’re right, not always the easiest thing to navigate…thankfully, I had already registered before, but couldn’t seem to find this actual section of the forum.

sorsha22
        Participant

Not sure I made it either…will see ☺
        I sure will need some getting used to this but as Terry said the fairies are working hard to make it easier so in the meantime will click everywhere and discover stuff
        HAGD

LUhlhorn
      Participant

I hope I am in the Spoiler Free Tea room. I am new to this forum but I am interested in Terry’s work. I have read all of the books and am currently re-reading Voyager. I hope I can figure out how this works.

MedusaZ
        Participant

Hi LUhlhorn and janschurr! I just so happen to be here when you posted. Your posts look OK to me. I hope we are able to have some good chats.

I adore costume design, but alas, have no talent in that area. Still, I have costume books that I pour over. I don’t know much about ART either, but I can generally age a picture by what the subject is wearing.

Historical Clothing is fascinating as to what it reflects and why/how it developed or stopped developing. For example, why did Roman catholic church vestments stop where they did? That has always interested me.

MedusaZ
      Participant

Terry, are you here? You said you’d be on the forum for a wee bit, but didn’t say where. I assume this is the default? I asked a question about the Coat that Mr. Heughan is wearing on the Pictures that should not have been released. Is this an example of soutasche trim?

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

I am here. I promise that when the ep airs, I will post lots of up close pics of all the details!!!

JanieG
        Participant

I read your posts like I am at the most exciting part of a book and can’t put it down. Great writing btw.

janschurr
      Participant

Hello, all! I was here when the blog began, but life got in the way and I’ve been gone forever. Glad to be back! I love the tidbits, Terry, especially since they are usually close-ups of the stunning work you and your staff do. I will enjoy the spoiler-free aspect, even tho’ I am one who doesn’t mind spoilers. I even read the ends of books first (don’t hate me! lol). Cannot wait for S2, and as someone who sews and embroiders I am continually amazed at the attention to detail. You are 100% correct that it all adds to the character, even if we do not consciously register that fact. Looking forward to the discussions.
      I have read (several times over the last 20 years) all of Diana’s books.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by janschurr.
        MedusaZ
        Participant

Hi Jan…..I’ve been known to read the end of the book after reading a few chapters. I have done embroidery in the past. I embroidered my ersatz Greek Island dress that I made for folkdancing. Pattern was in the German magazine Burda.

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

Hey you!!! Glad you’re here!

aliaslaceygreen
        Participant

Ok, ok! I’m here, right? You do realize the freedom that comes from more than 140 characters is going to be AMAZING, isn’t it?
        And I so hope your fairies can find a more suitable home so that chatting is easier. That’s the thing with Twitter, it’s just THERE… this, well, you do have to dig a bit…
        Anyhoo, I am just marking my space and showing up like I said I would..
        Take care,
        Trish
        PS..
        NOW, I am replying to another post because I posted at the end of the thread but on my computer screen it’s saying no one has posted in an hour and a half and I don’t see my post at all… is there a lag time?

Katie (@bunnums)
        Participant

I admit, I will often read the ends of books ahead of the game. But I find I only do that for books that have me so completely engrossed in the story that I get very anxious and stressed out. I find that if I read the end, I can let all that go knowing where things end up. And then I can really enjoy the journey to get there.

If it’s a book that I feel only so-so about and don’t really care about, then I don’t feel that anxiety and don’t really care where things end up.

Katie

janschurr
        Participant

Katie, that’s why I read the end, I think…relieves the stress so I can relax while I read!

mmbrock2014
      Participant

Hi Terry, I just want to tell you I love the work you are doing with Outlander. As an artist I really enjoy seeing the “tid-bits” you share, to see the detail that goes into each piece is amazing. I’ve learned so much from the images you share and your blog. I create jewelry, or wearable art, in micro-macrame and polymer-clay so I can appreciate the attention to detail everyone puts into their work.

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

Well welcome! What is your name?

mmbrock2014
      Participant

I’m sorry! My name is Marie Brock. I live and work in Whittier, CA., and show my work at local galleries in this area. The images you have shown are so devine, I’ve even use some for inspiration. Thank you again!

mmbrock2014
      Participant

Some time back you posted an image on twitter of a swan you were sculpting. What medium were you using?

Mollymay
      Participant

I am fascinated by the work that goes into the perfection we get on our screens each week!! Terry your insights and tidbits have made watching Outlander an artistic experience! Thank you!

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

Glad you’ve joined us.

mmbrock2014
        Participant

Yes, I use FIMO, it’s perfect for jewelry and I can cure it over and over for layers. I use Pemo also however it doesn’t seem to cure as hard as the FIMO.

dedeburnett57
      Participant

Terry, I just want to say how much I appreciate your talent and dedication to your craft. The costumes add so much to my experience of the screen version of these stories.

Katrina
      Participant

Crikey this forum is very hard to get into. Glad they are working on a new one. Made it back today after much navigation.

I have read all the Big books and some LJG ones. Nice to be here. Thanks Terry.

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

I know. It has been difficult. Forums are no longer the way for a reason, I suppose.
        We did make the decision to ask people to register as a way to keep trolling to a minimum. It has been very successful. Even though anyone is welcome to join, the registering of an email address seems to keep the nasty stuff at bay.
        Thanks for your patience, and hang in there with us while we work on a smoother system.

kladislaus
        Participant

I am glad you decided to do this. It is a bit cumbersome, but at least it feels peaceful.

michellibell
      Participant

[quote quote=8411]We are working on the forum. May change to an easier system. The Fairies are on it!!

[/quote]
      Have you looked into Activeboard? I find it the easiest forum to use. If you have any questions or need help, I’ll be happy to do whatever.

Katrina
        Participant

I am on a few forums (non OL) been a forum girl my whole net life. I do enjoy them as you are not limited in characters. I do enjoy twitter for OL. So will continue to use both for sure.

jaymesage
      Participant

Yay! I made it in. So Terry, if you are the keymaster who is the gatekeeper? *grin*

Hadley_LP
        Participant

Hi Jayme,

Perhaps the blog god fairies are the gatekeepers? Terry, Mandy & Candy rock!

Laurie

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

Hmmmmmm.

Hadley_LP
        Participant

Hi Jayme,
        You look good. I’m going to have to find a decent picture and figure out how to change the avatar here.
        Laurie

MedusaZ
        Participant

Hi Hadley,
        Changing your avatar is simple. Go to the right of your screen where you current avatar shows (Mine says Howdy, MedusaZ) Click on the avatar picture and select –> Edit my profile. You will find many ways to personalize your profile…and upload your new picture. I hope this helps. Can’t wait to see what you choose for an avatar. ‘Dusa

janschurr
        Participant

Yea! Another Ghostbusters fan!

flutterby3357
      Participant

I have to go in through WordPress-for some reason I can’t log in directly??? Oh well, I’m on and that’s all that matters!!!

JoMo1000
      Participant

I think I finally made it to the right place! I know I’m not very forum savvy so I hope I’m posting in the right place. I generally don’t reply on TW often, but when I do it’s in response to all the detailed tidbits you post, Terry. Can’t thank you enough for sharing these with all of us.

Hopefully this forum environment will make me less shy about joining in the discussions. Although I might not “say” much, I read everything. And I see so much distasteful, spiteful and downright hateful comments slung out all over SM sites under the cover of anonymity, I am often appalled and want nothing to do with it. I don’t know if this is usual in all fandoms, or Outlander in particular. But I do know it’s embarrassing to be evolved in a fandom that seems to have become so toxic.

Anyway, just glad to be here with all of you. Love all the discussions, not only those that pertain to Outlander but also the food and cooking ones. BTW, I’m the Cajun cook from south Louisiana and as we often say….”first you make a roux”!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by JoMo1000.
      catethomas
      Participant

Talking of hair and wigs (see top of discussion) I did find Stephen Cree’s (Ian Murray’s) wig a little odd as at times it almost seemed as if it was going to come off. He was also about the only Highlander not sporting full face whiskers. Was this a deliberate choice or did he simply not have the time to grow the needed face fuzz?

Jamie Lynn Hunkins
      Participant

With great triumph, I whisper, “hello.” I’m usually a quiet reader. I am so happy that I found the Tea Room and I remembered my password, I have briefly come out of my shell to write this. Thank you, Terry. You’ve enhanced my appreciation of the show, by giving insight into your creative world.

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

Well, don’t go running back into the shell Jamie!

peggyvanslp
      Participant

Hi, Terry et al,
      I am so glad I was able to find the Tea Room. Thank you for setting up a place where we can speak in more than 140 characters. So much can be inferred and misconstrued when punctuation and abbreviations (and irony/sarcasm) are used on Twitter. Since this is the Spoiler-Free Zone, just wondered if other people have as much enjoyment when watching the show with non-readers (in my case, husband) and seeing their reactions to the story progression as I do. I am finding that he has very good insight into the characters (“Just give him a hug.” Just tell her you lover her!”). Looking forward to these forum discussions! Good day to all.

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

I’ve gone in and closed a bunch of topics, but left a lot open, some good discussion there.

Fmanor75
        Participant

Hi my first time on a forum. Giving this a try understand the reasons to have many conversations here (I do find twitter easier but it can be limiting). Terry Hope all is well in Prague today, are you enjoying your stay there?

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

It is okay, too many tourists, they are everywhere. Can’t see anything! Going home tomorrow.
        Miss my pupster.

Katie (@bunnums)
        Participant

Quick trip for you. Hope it was productive!

Jeni
      Participant

Hi all,
      So glad to be in a spoiler zone, though I do enjoy seeing Terry’s tidbit posts. I find the hints at the costumes to be very inspiring and exciting. I adore 18th century dress, especially the everyday wear.
      I am currently reading book 4 and half way through watching the show on Amazon Prime.
      Looking forward to all the chats.
      Jeni

MedusaZ
        Participant

Hi Jeni,
        Terry has a discussion dedicated to Tid-bits. Check it out.

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

Yup, still posting tidbits! Here on the blog.

SusannahStrong
      Participant

Nice to join you, Terry, and all the other ladies here. This no spoiler forum is a great idea so thanks for making it happen. So I’ve audio booked all of Diana’s books and I just want to highly recommend it because Davina Porter is beyond outstanding in voicing all the accents, genders and emotions. Even if you do only one book this way it will be worth it to you I promise. This’ll be fun. See ya, Susan

janschurr
      Participant

I have a habit of encouraging (okay, maybe hitting-over-the-head encouraging) friends to read the books/watch the show. Usually women. This last weekend we visited a couple who are old friends, and they had binge watched S1. He found the end disturbing, she not so much, and plans to read the book. Hard to just smile and say “It gets better!” but I managed. I was proud of myself and kept assuring them that the books, with their rich, detailed world, are such a delight.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by janschurr.
      findingjamiefraser
      Participant

Just popping in to say hi but must go to bed (nearly 2am!!) but gt diverted by twitter lol! Look forward to chatting with you all, esp as struggle with twitter!

mmbrock2014
      Participant

[quote quote=8413]Good point, where is the spoiler line? Books? TV??

[/quote]
      Hi all. I don’t know if it was decided what discussions are in or out of the Tea Room, I’ve read all the Outlander books, more that once. I’m currently reading the Lord John books and read the novellas by DG. I loved S1 and am just as excited as everyone else here about S2. So I’m game for anything that is “Spoiler Free”, I’d like S2 to be a surprise. I still enjoy Terry’s “tid-bits”. I don’t think that’s cheating is it?
      I realize I’m a little behind from the times on your posts, late for others and early for some.
      Marie

mque
      Participant

Thanks to Terry for encouraging fans back to the Forum. I find Twitter easier to use, but I completely understand the need to make people accountable for what they say by having them register with their email addresses. I’ll be checking in to see what everyone’s talking about. Love the tidbits Terry shares. You’ve really made me think more about what I’m seeing when I watch a production & how it influences my understanding of the character. Started watching Far From the Madding Crowd. I had lots of questions including why the more complicated prints where used on the lead character’s dresses. What were they saying about the heroine? She’s modern for her time so I get that from what she wears. Part of me was wondering how accurate the prints were for the time though. Terry opened my eyes. Thank you!

roninlove
      Participant

Just thought I’d wander in and say hi…And it looks like I’ve missed the fun. Oh, well.. I guess I’ll just lurk for a bit…

roninlove
      Participant

….and now its time for me to go to bed. Good night ya’ll.

Frannybee
      Participant

Oooh, a forum! Despite spending the best part of my twenties in various forums, I’d already forgotten. Hi Terry. Hi all. 🙂

aliaslaceygreen
      Participant

Good morning. I am TRYING AGAIN. I see my REPLY post to Terry, upthread a ways. But I am NOT seeing my original posting… Can anyone see me??

aliaslaceygreen
        Participant

Ok, I see Me. Last night I posted three times and finally just replied to Terry to see if it worked…. so… maybe whatever gremlin there was is gone… Hallo the house!

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

I see you!

Fmanor75
      Participant

Submitted a post but it has not shown up here does it take awhile for it to be posted? So this is a second test.

Fmanor75
        Participant

Looks I have sort of figured this out. It will be fun being able to type over 140characters, understand why this is a good place to have discussions and chat (although I do find Twitter easier). This also feels a bit more private and personal.
        Terry how are you enjoying Prague? Looks a bit chilly there.
        Rhonnie love your new avatar.
        How do I know when my posts have replies, is there a waybtonget notices?

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

Hullo Fern!
        not chilly enough!!

mandywhelan96
        Participant

Hi Fern,

If you reply to a comment or a general comment there’s a box to click to “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”. I forgot to do that yesterday so waded through the posts a few times. Which is okay since you get to see other people’s comments and replies.

Mandy

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

[quote quote=8605]Hi Fern,

If you reply to a comment or a general comment there’s a box to click to “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”. I forgot to do that yesterday so waded through the posts a few times. Which is okay since you get to see other people’s comments and replies.

Mandy

[/quote]

JanieG
      Participant

I am not sure I am at the right place. Is this where you are right now Terry?

flutterby3357
      Participant

I think books one and two and season one of show should be OK to talk about here-what does everyone else think?

JanieG
      Participant

What would a Lady carry in her purse in the era of Outlander?

JanieG
        Participant

BTW, Janie @jneeg818.

Mistahbue
        Participant

Interesting thought. Handkerchief I’m sure. Maybe a house key? They had cologne and some types of make up then, right? Although I doubt they were purse sized. Hhmmm maybe a knife if they didn’t have a skirt pocket to hide it in? 😹

Mistahbue
        Participant

Oh what about storing her gloves when she’s not wearing them at an event? Hadn’t thought about money. I imagine a lady of the day would have washed coins in her purse.

darlenec
        Participant

Gloves would fit in the purse – I imagine not much would fit.

mmbrock2014
        Participant

I thought women mostly had pockets. There was usually an opening in the side of the outer skirt (they sometimes wore several skirts) a pouch/purse was attached to the belt and they slipped it inside the opening of the outer skirt. Perhaps it depended on the lady as to what she wold carry since the pouch/purse was pretty good size. Maybe some money, a ribbon, a keepsake of some kind, jewelry, maybe key/s.

catbruin91
        Participant

Found this http://hampshireculturaltrust.org.uk/content/bags-and-purses-collection from the Hampshire Cultural Trust on the history of handbags and purses. They say In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, when the silhouette of female dress was so figure hugging with the Neo Classical Empire and Regency line, pockets in a garment or beneath it were almost impossible, and would certainly have spoilt the hang of the skirt, so ladies carried delicate little drawstring bags or purses called reticules, or ‘ridicules’. These could carry a handkerchief, fan and dance card, a scent bottle, some face powder and rouge, but nothing too weighty.

mmbrock2014
        Participant

“They say In the late 18th and early 19th centuries,”
        However we’re not there yet.We are still mid-1816th century, the skirts are still fuller and layered. Even up to the Victorian era the skirts were full. Look at your Revolutionary war pictures and American Civil War most women were wearing ffull skirt.

MarieB

Jeni
        Participant

Pockets hidden under pocket hoops and accessed through slits in the petticoats ladies usually carried keys, make up, gems, etc. Double or single pockets were tied about the waist and could be lost, like Lucy Locket.
        Pockets were beautifully embroidered even though they were under several layers, a great sampler project and often a young girls first item to make.
        I’m not so sure about purses, but if its anything like modern times their purses were probably full of the stuff that didn’t fit in their husbands pockets 😉

mmbrock2014
        Participant

“Pockets hidden under pocket hoops and accessed through slits in the petticoats ladies usually carried keys, make up, gems, etc. Double or single” Jeni, yes! I’m S1 Stars did an inside look with Annette Harland (Mrs. Fitz) she demonstrated the typical woman’s attire and “pockets” in detail. Just like Lucy Locket as you say.
        I will be “out of pocket” for a while since my battery is dying.

MarieB

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

[quote quote=8611]What would a Lady carry in her purse in the era of Outlander?

[/quote]

Technically, it would have been called a reticule. And yes a lady would have carried one.

mmbrock2014
        Participant

So a lady would carry a reticule when she went shopping or traveled, like we do? However would she only use pockets in her daily activities at home? Such as when she went to market she would probably want to carry a basket to collect her purchases in so maybe pockets might be more convenient?

JanieG
        Participant

yes of course, reticule.

darlenec
      Participant

Would a lady carry money? Would she have some kind of wallet?

mmbrock2014
        Participant

I think she would carry money, not much and not a wallet like today but another smaller leather pouch. Wallets were not an 18th century thing. You could also carry a small bit of food like dried meat and some bread.

JanieG
        Participant

perhaps money. I am not sure what else. or was it just for show?

NancyB
      Participant

Hello Everybody!

Terry-thank you for creating this forum for the fans, I can’t say how cool it is to be able to interact with you and the others, its a thrill in my little mundane life, l0l!

I am brand new to this forum so I apologize you’ve been asked this a million times, Terry, but do you ever create outfits for yourself, your kids or Ron? Like, if you have a special event that you need a dress for would you make one to wear?

Thanks!
      Nancy

Karen Neale
      Participant

Just home from morning walk. This is great idea Terry. And a big thanks to all the web faries

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

[quote quote=8623]I thought women mostly had pockets. There was usually an opening in the side of the outer skirt (they sometimes wore several skirts) a pouch/purse was attached to the belt and they slipped it inside the opening of the outer skirt. Perhaps it depended on the lady as to what she wold carry since the pouch/purse was pretty good size. Maybe some money, a ribbon, a keepsake of some kind, jewelry, maybe key/s.

[/quote]

WE use “pockets”. Actually they attached to long bands that tie around the waist.

Jeni
        Participant

Here are a set of pockets I embroidered last year modeled by “Bertha”, my body form. I had a debate with myself about whether they should sit over or under the bum roll, now I’ve made pockets hoops and the debate solved itself.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Jeni.
        janschurr
        Participant

Jeni,
        My body form is Matilda! Useful things, aren’t they?
        Jan

mandywhelan96
        Participant

Very neat Jeni! Thanks for sharing. Maybe some day I’ll get back into sewing. Although my sewing consists of making gift bags out of pretty fabric for Christmas and birthdays (the environmental scientist in me).

Mandy

mque
        Participant

Thank you for sharing your work. Very interesting.

Draper
      Participant

So pleasing to see this forum being used again!

mmbrock2014
      Participant

This is nice. However getting in can be difficult. I have to sign in uith my WordPress account then search for the Tea Room to get here. Is it because was following Terry before?

conniebv
      Participant

Well look at that, my login still works.

Hadley_LP
        Participant

Hey Connie! Good to see you here.

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

Everyone please read the new topic I posted….ANOTHER OPTION

mmbrock2014
      Participant

Terry, I’m not finding ANOTHER OPTION, Where should I be looking? I don’t see it on the menu.
      Marie

kaykramer
        Participant

Marie, go to Forums Most Popular, then scroll down to PLEASE READ – ANOTHER OPTION

mmbrock2014
        Participant

[quote quote=8759]Marie, go to Forums Most Popular, then scroll down to PLEASE READ – ANOTHER OPTION

[/quote]
        Did that, thanks!
        MarieB

Trish
      Participant

Just saying hi! Really glad to have a place to talk safely and politely about Outlander:) Loved your post Terry, it’s fascinating to read/listen to artists explaining their craft, and why they make the decisions they do, including the decision about when a thing is ready to be seen by an audience.

jen_eyre
      Participant

hi everyone!
      just popping in to say hello to you!
      I’m quite new to all that outlander stuff ;).
      accidently watched the first episode in german tv this summer and couldn’t stop watching since then. ordered the first DVD the following week and found out there were BOOKS! just reading voyager right now. I love it! (and I’m usually not very good at reading big fat books)
      well…looking forward to meeting some nice people.

Cynthia Crane
      Participant

Ok, new here and so far so good, ‘crept scrolling all the way to the b-o-t-t-o-m to post, not so good but I can deal.

Love your blog, Terri, read the whole darn thing recently, beginning to end, many of the forum posts, too! So many intelligent and insightful members here!

Thank you so much for sharing your fascinating life, Terri. Do you have any idea what an inspiration you are to so many? Esp the creatives out there, who like me, had their artistic inclinations squashed (by unsupportive parents) at any early age. Thankfully, I came back to creating art full time after entering art school in ’03 at the age of 40 (same year/same university as my daughter!)

I tell you this along with the urging that you someday write your bio, something akin to Thyla Tharp’s “The Creative Habit”. No doubt there’s a wide audience that would wholehearted embrace learning even more about you, and what inspires you, and the road you walked to become the talent behind the wonderful costumes of Outlander.

Of course, that would be a retirement project – you’ve got another several years of costuming for Outlander in your immediate future. 😉

Cindy
      (A small town girl/painter/potter creating from the breathtakingly beautiful state of West Virginia, USA)

Viewing 57 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.