Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Favorite wedding dresses!

• Creator
    Topic
    Terry Dresbach
    Keymaster

Just for fun, you can post a pic of a gown you just really love!

Viewing 50 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Monkeytumbler
      Participant

Well that’s easy………my own πŸ™‚
      My wedding dress

(though mine is NOT for sale)

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

We are still getting the hang of things here. Your pic is not showing up. Let me try.

Monkeytumbler
      Participant

hmm, that link doesn’t seem to work – if you google Pronovias Nalon that should work

Monkeytumbler
      Participant

Aha!

Rowan
        Participant

that’s so beautiful!

Monkeytumbler
        Participant

Thank you πŸ™‚
        This must have been the only point in the day when I didn’t have a huge smile on my face. Trying to negotiate some rickety old wooden stairs in heels takes some concentration! Dirleton Castle was the setting, an old ruined Castle to the East of Edinburgh – such a happy day πŸ™‚

rosemaryhoffart
        Participant

Beautiful and looks like a wonderful day!

hflint
      Participant

I love the o.e you showed on the cover. If there were no wedding dresses then anything can and did do.

eeebailey
        Participant

Beautiful. That’s one thing that we cannot do here in the US, have a wedding at an old castle. Talk about magical.

outlanderbooklover
      Participant

Okay, I’m going to try this once more. I thought this was a pretty dress.

kukrae
        Participant

Oh, that *is* lovely!! I find myself drawn to dresses that resemble the mid-1800 hoop gowns of the south. There’s just something about that sweep train that catches me. πŸ™‚

Tamara
        kukrae

Cannot see the front, but I love this. The sheen, the sleeves, slightly dropped waist.

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

This is very close to what I wanted to wear.

hflint
        Participant

I like that better than puffy white getups

Magda Longoria
        Participant

Very nice embroidery work!i like it!

eeebailey
        Participant

That is lovely, but my question is, Terry, what did you end up wearing?

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

Ron and I both wore a very deep teal velvet.

rosemaryhoffart
        Participant

Terry, show us a picture – sounds lovely and creative.

rosemaryhoffart
        Participant

Beautiful, this outfit actually reminds me of Diana Gabaldon and her style.

Katie (@bunnums)
      Participant

I’ll have to scan a photo of my wedding dress – still my favorite wedding dress of all time because my mom made it from scratch just for me! πŸ™‚

Katie

Karen Neale
      Participant

Getting the hang of this. Wedding dress and bride in Romania last summer.

@jeanniefec
      Participant

I have always thought Jackie Kennedy’s dress was exquisite. I can feel the romance and movement when I look at it. It tells a story all by its self. Timeless.

Sarah K
      Participant

I wore my great grandmother’s petticoat from 1875 as part of my wedding dress. It’s beautiful white cotton petticoat with pin tucks and shadow appliquΓ©s. I thought it was too beautiful to hide. I made the off the shoulder top and sash. It was the perfect dress for a hot and humid wedding on a sailboat in the Biscayne Bay in 1985.

Pat Lacemaker
        Participant

Gorgeous! And what a lovely idea to blend your grandmother’s petticoat. Those techniques are called Edwardian or French Handsewing or (now) heirloom sewing and can still be created today using modern techniques and a sewing machine. Time-consuming, but oh, how beautiful.

karenball
        Participant

It’s lovely. I love the neckline and the little sleeves.

sandyknc
      Participant

My mother-in-law made my wedding dress. It had an empire waist, lace bodice, and satin skirt. I spent a total of $100 on dress material in 1982. Here are two dresses I like and would consider if I was young and looking for a wedding dress.

4nikikelly
      Participant

I have always been a fan of a laced overlay and a big shiny ribbon. I am tickled that this ribbon is brown. A little twist.

awabbit
      Participant

First attempt to scan and attach the picture of my wedding dress.
      I was ‘model-thin’ and 23 yrs old! I could never imagine myself in anything but that dress.The dress was contemporary for 1967, Galina of Boston design, pearl-embroidered Alencon lace A- line over a sheath slip.
      I’m still married to the same handsome guy too!
      Anne in NoHo

awabbit
        Participant

Drat! File too large ~~have hit a dead end trying tonight. Will attempt tomorrow. Stay tuned

ellery
      Participant

This is the dress I wanted for my wedding 12 years ago. Called Marquis by Reem Acra. I’ve saved this image for years. Sadly, it’s not the dress I wore…still love it to this day and I’d still wear it!

michellibell
      Participant
      Marybeth
      Participant

This is the dress I always wanted to wear, as a 12 year old all the way to my real wedding. My husband proposed on July 28th 1992 and we were married August 29, 1992. Not quite the scenario I pictured (no I was not pregnant–just had a groom that hated to wait on anything) so I was actually married in a handkerchief lace Jessica McClintock that was candlelight colored and tea length. I loved it, and at the time it didn’t matter, but now I wish I’d gotten what I dreamed of for so long. I have wedding pictures if anyone wants to see the actual dress. It was still lovely!

eeebailey
      Participant

Help! I’m trying to post a picture and description of my wedding dress and I keep getting error messages. πŸ™

eeebailey
      Participant

Hello! This forum is a great idea! Thank you!
      My wedding dress is definitely my favorite.
      It was a relatively simple dress made out of a silk jersey material (I think), the sleeves were sheer, the back had an open V all the way down and the pearls at the neck held it together, and there was some nice ruching (sp?)in front. THEN there was the cape!! That is what made me fall in love with this dress! A full lace cape with a hood too. It was magical.
      I had this idea that we would use the lace to put over a baby cradle. Hah! Not a chance! So impractical, on top of that I ended up with twins, so it was just not going to happen.
      Maybe, just maybe, my daughter will use the dress. I think it’s a pretty timeless dress, it didn’t have all the dated details that most dresses had in the 80’s. We were married in Aug of 1987.

Pat Lacemaker
        Participant

Beautiful – and unique! I made my own dress (no pictures exist, alas), out of very inexpensive material, and had a peach sheer cape with hood, lace-edging around the hood. Both have been lost in several moves and a divorce, but I still remember them.

eeebailey
        Participant

It seems my picture didn’t show up…will try again

Pauluna
      Participant

My favorite wedding dress was mine, until I saw the one you designed for Claire!! For low these many years, and even though I’m now divorced, nothing could compare. Now, this is the dress to dream of! Mine was pretty cool, pinkish beige satin, with lots of baby fresh water pearls and lily of the valley and the greatest unique ballroom bustle for the train. But I love your design(s) so much, and do hope the powers that be will allow a museum tour. Especially after season two!! I know for a fact that people have called the curator at Wintertur (who put together the Downton show) about Outlander!

martha
      Participant

Isn’t this elegant?

KathyGreen
      Participant

This may have been answered somewhere already, but how much did Claire’s dress weigh?

kittykatcleary
      Participant

Before Outlander came along, Dr. Quinn – Medicine Woman was my favorite TV series, and of course I LOVED Michaela’s (Jane Seymour) wedding dress. I’m attaching two pics, the second one a close-up to show the beautiful details. I believe Jane was shopping in England to get the fabric … or the lace .. or both. Can’t remember. πŸ™‚

awabbit
      Participant

Very tardy posting of my favorite wedding dress– my own! Recap: I tried to convince myself to go pouff-y and full, but this dress was the most dramatic. At that time I was model-thin and 5’11”.
      The handsome grinning guy in the picture is still my wonderful husband, after 47.5 years.
      Anne in NoHo

ellenchristine
      Participant

It would be an endless stream of images, but one of my all time favorites is the Adrian designed gown for Norma Shearer in Marie Antoinette. the entire wardrobe.

sewwhatjenn
      Participant

Ivory embroidered wedding dress with corset

Who can name just one? However, I adored my wedding dress (shown above). I had no clue what I wanted when I went to the shop and the clerk pulled it out on a whim. Sunlight hit it, the clouds parted, and it was the one. A discontinued steal that flattered my red hair and pale skin perfectly. I found nothing that could equal it in quality in town.

Hope
      Participant

My wedding dress was my grandmother’s high school graduation dress, from around 1910, I believe. It is made of very fine linen, very Edwardian. The hem is about 6 inches or so off the ground, and it has lots of fine pleats, faggotting and lace insets. It is so fragile now, but still a treasure and I loved having the continuity with my grandmother. She was a woman ahead of her time, she went on to graduate not just from high school, but also the University of Chicago and then taught Greek and Latin. I also have a couple of her very beautiful flapper dresses from the 1920’s. She lived an easy life until she found out my grandfather was cheating on her and divorced him right as the depression was getting going. She raised my mother and uncle with almost no help, working and divorced at a time when that was very difficult for women. So to wear her dress was for me a celebration of who she was and a continuation of her spirit. (And it was beautiful and fun to wear.) Hope

vidochka
      Participant

Now, this is MY wedding dress which I rented…. as an Opera singer I need to always make sure I have some lovely evening gowns in my wardrobe… but the wedding dress I would not be able to use again, so I decided to rent it. And when I found it – my perfect wedding dress – it was one size to small… So I worked hard and persistent and I lost weight to fit the dress on my wedding day!! The goal was achieved! And I’d love to hear your ladies opinions!
      Besides that, purple is my favourite colour and it has ben a thread of the wedding… my sisters, my mom and my best friend also wore purple dresses, each in another tone. I also made most of decorations myself – and they were perfect, just as I wanted… but that is already a story for another post! πŸ˜€

vidochka
        Participant

I see that the most important photo did not upload… I give it another try πŸ™‚

dianne_falcone
      Participant

I remember being in love with Carolyn Bessette’s wedding dress. It was simple yet stunning. I regret doing a big, poofy, princessy gown for my own wedding but I couldn’t go with a straight silhouette because my hubby is a bit shorter than me. I would have looked even taller had I worn a fitted gown.

tackysue
      Participant

My wedding dress was my favorite, too. I actually bought two dresses. One was this poofy princessy thing that I thought I MUST have. Then, while I was looking for a petticoat at a second hand shop, I saw it. *MY* dress. It was exactly opposite the dress I already owned but it was exactly perfect. Even FIT ME!!! Nothing EVER fits me. NOTHING! I crafted a way to bustle the train and crafted my own veil.

It’s pretty tough to see any detail in the photo but it was super simple with just a hint of lace at the bust and train. But it had all those cute buttons down the back!!! I felt like a queen that day, not a princess! LOL

TeamWearTotes
      Participant

Here’s 2 dresses I made, years ago. They are still my favorites of all my creations.

peanutsmum
      Participant

This is my wedding photo. We had a 1740’s theme. It was just before I found out about Outlander.

peanutsmum
      Participant

Sorry, just testing if I can get anything to post.

rachely
      Participant

We don’t do white fluffy dresses in my family.

My farmor and farfar (1938, Brockton, Mass.)

My mum and dad (1967, Cambridge, Mass.)

Me and my husband (2000, Providence, RI). I dithered between a grey suit and a black suit until about 5 minutes before I had to leave. I also had a hat, but I took it off inside because it was raining BUCKETS and the hat was wet.

Mary Beth
      Participant

My grandmother’s wedding dress from 1924. It was hand-made by her mother and was a simple sleeveless white drop-waist dress with a pin tucked skirt. Her veil was anchored with a headband of wax orange blossoms and velvet leaves. It was beautiful but has since fallen to shreds through improper packing and storage. And alas, we have no photos. They were married at Old St Brigid’s Church in SF.

martha
      Participant

I uploaded another one of my favorite wedding gowns, but it doesn’t show.So, let’s try this.

peggymarshall
      Participant

Today’s wedding dresses are too naked! I don’t like a backless, sleeveless look. Highlight the bosom, because that’s what the groom lacks! πŸ˜‰

awabbit
      Participant

3rd, 4th 5th time’s the charm (hopefully)
      Anne in NoHo

Katie (@bunnums)
      Participant

Finally scanned a photo of my wedding dress, which is my (biased) favorite. My mother is a very talented seamstress and made it, using bits and pieces of several patterns plus adding her own flourishes.

The veil is a Mexican mantilla, borrowed from a family friend who has known me since (literally) my birth. It is essentially a large pieces of hand-tatted lace, made in the ’60s for her own wedding. I will be forever grateful that she let me borrow it.

Katie

nolakate
      Participant

this is the dress I made for my daughter. she lived in new Orleans and I was in d.c. tried sending samples down for her to try on but that didn’t work. ended up using her neighbor’s 1960s singer straight stitch machine and sewing it the week before the wedding!

nolakate
      Participant

well this has her maids also but the file size is smaller

OregonWeaver
      Participant

The last time my daughter was home she wanted to try my dress on. I made this dress by Frankensteining several commercial patterns together along with a couple of my own touches. What can I say it was the 80’s. I was living on a sailboat so had to cut it out on my parents deck. Can’t say I’d make the same dress again but the party was fun!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by OregonWeaver.
      OregonWeaver
      Participant

Sorry Mandy, I tried twice to resize photo but it didn’t work. I couldn’t figure out how to delete post, maybe you can. Thanks

m stefania m
      Participant

My favorite wedding dress is my daughter’s. So simple, with a graceful silhouette; suited her style.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by m stefania m.
      patterned_history
      Participant

I’ve always had a thing for Sharon Tate’s wedding dress.

It expresses so much about the time, the place, and herself.
      So mid-60’s Zepharelli Romeo & Juliet in design,
      so L.A. in the mini length dress and movie star make-up,
      and so HER with the earthy flower-child daises & bows in here big, glorious hair!

Despite the mini-length of the dress, she is quite covered and demure. More sweet than sexy, and absolutely radiant with optimism.

My only kvetch now as I look at it (with trained eyes of a modern-day tech designer) is the bust darts.
      I want to get in my Delorian and go back in time to fix the shape/placement so bad, but the weird pointy bust darts were sort of a thing back then.

Still, LOVE.

moorland
      Participant

I always had a strange thing for the empire style – maybe all Jane Austen’s films are to blame πŸ˜€ Here’s two of them: one from a museum and one from The Secret of Moonacre.

Memi
      Participant

My wedding dress. I made it using a Vogue designer pattern to match the Spanish mantilla my godmother gave me. Someone above mentioned being engaged for a month before the wedding. We met March 28, got engaged July 1, and married August 9. Our children are scandalized, but it was 1969…Summer of Love, Viet Nam…

ellenchristine
      Participant

Insofar as it is Halloween, here is one of my alltime favorites from the remarkable Eiko Ishioka for Bram Stoker’s Dracula

oesgwynedd
      Participant

The two dresses that stood out for me in my mind……….(neither of mine as both have ended disastrously. #2 was like Dianna’s), but i always thought these two were ‘perfection’to me are 1st. Patricia Nixon’s wedding dress by Priscilla of Boston. (I always wanted this gown or one by Priscilla of Boston!) or #2. Princess Grace’s gown. just timeless both of them to me.
      If i can uncover a picture of my first gown, as much as i wanted a POB gown, I chose an antique gown from 1908. It is a white lawn, high necked with a gorgeous train,intricate lacing/tatting.

And I agree. I am so ‘over’ the sleevless, backless gowns…………

nleews
      Participant

I enjoy the show “Lost Girl”. Loved this wedding gown featured in a recent episode. We don’t see many high neck, long sleeve gowns anymore.

outlanderbooklover
      Participant

I have the right size now but I don’t know how to delete my previous post.

Mandy Tidwell
      Keymaster

I removed it.

firstlove
      Participant

My favorite wedding dress is Kate Middleton’s. I love the simplicity and detail of it. The lace work in the bodice and how the dress fits her. Also, she wore a tiara borrowed from the Queen. ( I tried to post a photo, but I couldn’t get it to work.)

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by firstlove.
      • This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by firstlove.
Viewing 50 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.