Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Favorite period in clothing. When would you like to live?

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Costuming Discussion Favorite period in clothing. When would you like to live?

• Creator
    Topic
    martha
    Participant

From Egypt to Greece, from Rome to Byzantium, from Middle Ages to Baroque, from Neoclassicsm to the Victorian era, and the fascinating 20th century, which would have been your style?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      michellibell
      Participant

I really think I would enjoy the fashion of the ’40s. I love Claire’s wedding dress (to Frank). The clothes seem so streamlined and classic.

OregonWeaver
        Participant

I love the ’40s also. You should check out “Theatre de la Mode”. They are the fashion mannequins created after WW2 by the couture houses to get people out of the war mode. They are ablsolutely lovely. Each house created garments for dolls that were 27″ tall. I am so lucky to live just down the river from their permanent home!

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

The 18th century. But I would want to wear men’s clothing.

martha
        Participant

Couldn’t agree more on that!The women’s clothes were amazing, but I would prefer a kilt-a multifactional piece of clothing!I even consider wearing nowdays! 🙂

martha
      Participant

[quote quote=2240]Couldn’t agree more on that!The women’s clothes were amazing, but I would prefer a kilt-a multifunctional piece of clothing!I even consider wearing nowdays! :)[/quote]

patsyann55
      Participant

Unless I have a house load of servants, my style is whatever the working class is wearing. Upper class fashion was beautiful but hardly practical for daily life. When I work in costume I can’t lace up my own shoes once I am in my corset!

Ari
      Participant

If in the 18th century I would have loved to be a Highlander man and wore a kilt but clothingwise for women… really I would have loved to live in the 1930s to late 40’s… like the cuts for women the hemline and the hourglass look, the pencilskirts, the hats and gloves. Just made women look so feminine.

shoogieboogie
      Participant

I can’t help but love the Regency period of dress. For the men and women. Very dashing.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.