Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Favorite Costume Designers?

• Creator
    Topic
    Katie (@bunnums)
    Participant

I’m throwing this out there for anyone. Who are your favorite current (or past) costume designers? Or good examples of their work? With learning more and more about costume design, I find myself really looking at how the costumes add, or detract, from the work.

I really like what Lyn Paolo is doing on Scandal. Those costumes (especially for the female characters) really speak to who those characters are and how they’ve changed over the years.

I also love how Elphaba’s costume (and make up) change between the first and second act to reflect the internal changes of the character.

Other examples?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Katie (@bunnums)
      Participant

Posting a second time, since the initial posts appear to be missing in new threads.

I’m throwing this out there for anyone. Who are your favorite current (or past) costume designers? Or good examples of their work? With learning more and more about costume design, I find myself really looking at how the costumes add, or detract, from the work.

I really like what Lyn Paolo is doing on Scandal. Those costumes (especially for the female characters) really speak to who those characters are and how they’ve changed over the years.

I also love how Elphaba’s costume (and make up) change between the first and second act to reflect the internal changes of the character.

Other examples?

michellibell
      Participant

Outside of Terry Dresbach? Because she is my favorite right now… 🙂

I would have to say Edith Head – Her colors!!! Richness, detail

Draper
      Participant

This is a difficult one to pick. I loved the costumes in Trainspotting (I know, really?!) because they were perfect for the characters, place and time, Delicatessen for their wackiness, adored the costumes in the barn-raising scene in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, all the costumes in Roman Holiday and Sabrina (Edith Head) and those beautiful, beautiful costumes at the race in My Fair Lady (Cecil Beaton).

Probably could go on, I’m realising how much the ‘look’ of tv or film fixes it in my mind.

Alien – for the crumpled, worked-in feel of the costumes, the Peter Capaldi Doctor Who for the unexpected scarlet lining to his jacket…

I’d best stop!

Draper
      Participant

Forgot La Reine Margot – Moidele Bickel. Don’t know much about 16th century France so just fell headfirst into this film with all its colours and textured fabric.

Right at the beginning of the film, at the wedding, there’s a shot of the wedding congregation, Protestants on one side all dressed in black, Catholics on the other side dressed in every colour possible. It’s all there in those costumes right at the beginning, the division and conflicts between the two played out through the rest of the film.

For me, it’s a really good example of what you were saying Katie, about how costumes add/detract from the work. I had to google the film to get Bickel’s name and came up with lots of criticism about historical inaccuracy. Seems it was a deliberate decision, to get a certain look for the film, and for me it was a good decision.

Katie (@bunnums)
      Participant

So many great movies I need to go look up now!

Draper
      Participant

Hope they don’t disappoint. Watched 7 brides as a child and then again as an adult – my jaw dropped quite a few times. Costumes and songs still as good but politically correct it certainly ain’t.

My name is Cassie, by the way. Never sure whether I’m supposed to sign off with my name or introduce myself at all.

Katie (@bunnums)
        Participant

Oh, we should start an “Introduce Yourself” thread!

Draper
      Participant

Forgot Stephanie Collie who did Peaky Blinders and South Riding.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.