Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Draping the Great Kilt

Tagged: ,

• Creator
    Topic

I would love to see a blog post on how the different Highlanders wear their great kilts. I can easily see how Sam generally drapes his plaid, but I’d love to see how the others do it. I’d also love to see how it was done for the wedding scene. He looked so dashing!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      alchem84
      Participant

Me too. Terry, you’ve often talked about the actors choosing to wear their kilts differently. Curious as to the details.

moorland
      Participant

Exactly! I support this topic – HeatherLovesOutlander – if you know how Jamie does it, please share? I’ve been trying to figure it out… also Jamie’s wedding wrap O_O

DMDixon17
      Participant

I had this same question. Upon doing a little googling there are several sites that give histories and how they were worn. One way for work, another for hunting and formal dress. scottishtartans.org is an interesting site. One that I found and can’t find again -of course 🙁 said that the belted kilt, and rolling along the floor is probably not the way it was done in general. That there were loops were stitched inside the fabric and that rope was inserted (belt like) that the man could quickly gather and tie around himself. Rolling that much fabric in the floor would have been nearly impossible because the homes were extremely small. Terry, can you give us more insight??

Terry Dresbach
        Keymaster

We pleat the plaid on the floor of Sam’s trailer and he lies down on it, and wraps himself in. The floor of the trailer is about 8 x 6 ft, and has furniture in it.
        It can also be done outside. But I think that a key factor here, is that one didn’t take it off and on every day, like a pair of jeans. The kilt was a tool, a utilitarian garment, and one of it’s many functions,, was that of a sleeping bag. So, it is not something you probably got in and out of very much.

natashajb
      Participant

I keep finding conflicting information about how many meters of fabric are in a great kilt. Anyone have a definitive answer?

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

[quote quote=4934]I keep finding conflicting information about how many meters of fabric are in a great kilt. Anyone have a definitive answer?[/quote]
      Ours are between 9 -12 yards

natashajb
        Participant

Thank you!

kyle
        Participant

Hi Terry,

I have heard that one can buy authentic Great Kilts in the Fraser hunting tartan in Scotland.. Im travelling there in May, any leads appreciated!

CelticGlamazon
      Participant

I love how this gentelman explains getting into a great kilt. 🙂

JB
      Participant

After my 5,000th rewatch of The Wedding, I finally remembered to ask this very pressing question. Why doesn’t Jamie’s plaid fall when Claire removes his belt?

Lalou
      Participant

Well, just because the belt holds the kilt ! Watch the video Celticamazon posted and you’ll understand.
      The belt can be worn above all the layers or just above the first one before the remaining fabric is folded over it. Or sometimes they used to wear two belts, one underneath and another one over it all. But Jaimie would’t be such a fool as to wear a complicated outfit on his wedding night, wouldn’t he ? So he just had one that hold everything, I mean the kilt.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Lalou.
        JB
        Participant

But that’s the thing — clearly Jamie’s not wearing just one belt in the wedding episode because Claire very clearly takes his belt off and throws it aside … and Jamie’s kilt stays right where it was.

I did watch the video Glam posted, and if Jamie had been wearing his kilt the same way the man in the video was, it would have fallen when Claire took off the belt. In fact, you can see that Jamie isn’t wearing his belt that same way because it’s visible on the outside of the fold of his kilt in the back. So obviously he has something else holding it up. I just wondered what that “something else” is, and if it was included for historical accuracy or for other show-related reasons.

Lalou
      Participant

I should have watched the video again before answering. Obviously Sam Heughan is wearing the “double belt” system : there is a belt that holds the pleats (sometimes just some string) and a belt that “finishes” the outfit, holds the extra fabric or a sporan or a weapon or whatever the guy would carry on his belt.
      My mistake, it wasn’t a stripper version.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.