Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

costume dramas

• Creator
    Topic
    nolakate
    Participant

since I don’t have my kilt men till april, I’ve been comparing other shows’ costumes to terry’s. they generally fall flat. the musketeers on BBC are pretty good tho. Reign on CW makes me scream. not only have they ruined a fantastic real story (who would believe Mary Queen of Scots led such an intriguing life?) by making it mean girls in 16th century, but I think they just pulled whatever from the costume closet with no regard for authenticity or even time period. galavant was fun but I don’t think they were going for authenticity (even so they beat out Reign)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      AnCatDubh1980
      Participant

I tuned in to the first episode of Reign, and couldn’t watch anymore. The “costumes” looked like leftover Prom dresses on the super extra clearance discount rack. No way I could get past that.

Agree about Musketeers. I enjoy the contrasts between the dirty and gritty soldiers and the elaborate court dress.

I thought The Borgias and The Tudors did a fine job. I must admit I don’t know enough to pick at details or historical inaccuracies, but they were visually appealing to me.

nolakate
      Participant

not really a costume drama, but the costumes on Once upon a time are pretty neat. season start had a special on special effects and did a bit on the costumes. interesting to see how they could interpret the character’s personality and function into costumes that still evoke the era.

maureenanne
      Participant

So glad you mentioned the Once Upon a Time pre-show. I have always enjoyed Regina’s evil queen costumes and it was great to see close up of the bra/blouse and the headpieces. I really enjoy the fantasy costumes of Once Upon a Time and Game of Thrones. I love the authenticity of Downton Abbey and Outlander. I have heard that DA uses quite a bit of vintage clothing so it makes me appreciate Terry’s efforts all the more because she has to design everything anew. Are you into the men’s costumes as much? I like the weapons more than the garb. Yes, Reign was a total disappointment.

maureenanne
        Participant

Wanted to mention the past two Vikings episodes and the daughter (I think) of the emperor. Loved the dress we saw her in when she first appeared and then the masks that she and her father wore. I am going to have to research that. I associate masks with Venice but I from the recesses of my memory isn’t there something to wearing a mask to avoid getting the plague??? Loved the holy relic that was hung up as a flag during the siege. The contrast of the bright fabric (material was gorgeous) against the city walls, silver armor and gritty battle scene was very powerful.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.