Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Claire's Knitted Things

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums Characters Claire Claire's Knitted Things

Tagged: ,

• Creator
    Topic
    ValhallaLilly
    Participant

New forum new poster so standard “I hope this is okay/am doing this right/please don’t hate me” statement!

I’ve loved spotting all the knitted items since the first shrug in Episode 1 (i hope I remembered that right!)

Anyway I put this on tumblr but thought it would be good here as well

Outlander knits
    http://valalala.tumblr.com/post/97527367668/outlander-knits
    http://valalala.tumblr.com/post/97527367668/outlander-knits
    IDK how to add links apparently sorry copypasta?!
    Oh man wish there was a preview button so I could know if that worked!
    ANYWAY I thought it would be cool to see if anyone had made these up yet? And if they had patterns they wanted to share. I saw in the next ep there will be more knit things so I’m excited to spot some more!

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      hflint
      Participant

I crochet and have done her shrug and cowl. Too bad it’s never cowl enough to wear! I just yahoo search free crochet patterns and browse until I find what I want.

Abbie
      Participant

I am in love with Claire’s chunky drop stitch cowl but any copies I’ve seen don’t come close. . Any chance for a pattern or even hints on needle size (50?)is the yarn a chunky tweed held double?

Terry Dresbach
      Keymaster

I KNEW there would be a knitting thread!!!! LOL

elizlk
        Participant

There’s a whole group of folks discussing Outlander and knitting patterns over on Ravelry … 🙂

RochelleB
        Participant

I make my husband pause the show every time Claire appears with a new cowl, shrug, capelet, etc. – so we end up watching the episodes twice…
        I was a Fashion History Professor and still love collecting vintage clothes. I was just up in NYC to see the Lingerie exhibit and was thinking of you Terry, and how they constructed the various undergarments for the time. FYI they also have the Dress to the Kilt show….FIT did have a pair of kilts by Isaac Mizrahi – well they couldn’t compare to “Jamie”. Your designs are beyond magnificent!
        Don’t forget the Dress to the Kilt Show in NYC too. Fun with plaid.

knitomatic
        Participant

Hi Terry,

Love your costume podcast!

Would it be possible to publish the patterns for the show’s knitwear? Rowan/Westminster Fibers would probably work with you to make it easy.

Thank you thank you thank you!

kellymager
      Participant

I’ve made about 4 now and they all (except 1 that I made really loose to wear all year round) look almost if not exactly like the one she has on. I wasn’t joking when I said I wanted one in every color haha

Here’s a picture of my friend modeling it for me.

What I did was use size 50 needles and a chunky yarn (I used Wool-Ease). I got 2 skeins and doubled up the stitches to make it even thicker.

I did a provisional cast on of 10 stitches and knitted till it was 46″ long and then closed it with a kitchener stitch.

It goes by really quick and can bust out a couple in one night.

Hope it works for you 🙂

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by kellymager. Reason: Wanted to ad a photo and pattern for the cowl that I made
      Hawkecho
      Participant

Please, we need to know… there is HUGE debate over the knitted cowl that Claire wears. Is it a single, wide cowl or a longer, thin one that’s doubled? Many knitters are breathlessly awaiting the answer!

Radlady
      Participant

I also would love to see a pattern for the cowl! Pretty please? 🙂

ralphi
      Participant

If you look on ravelry (free knitting database site) there are several patterns. I’m presently making the chunky cowl (free knitting or crochet pattern), the braided cable mitts ($2 knitting pattern), and the plain grayish mitts.

Can’t seem to find the right yarn for this one, though. Suggestions?
      http://www.starz.com/PublishingImages/Originals/Outlander/Episodes/e108/OUT_108-20140430-ND_0243_900x506.jpg

ralphi
      Participant

Indeed! I had thought of that one, but they don’t have a chocolate brown that isn’t stripey. Guess I will have to make do 🙂

suekirk
      Participant

Terry-Thanks for your wonderful costumes and work on the show…and for your patience with all of us. Here is a pic of the knitted cape that I started last evening during Both Sides Now. It uses two star ads held together – one is Rowan British Sheep bReeds Boucle and the other is Rowan British Sheep Fine Boucle on size 19 needles.

gingerylocks
      Participant

Sorry about the thread I started! I honestly didn’t see this!!

gingerylocks
      Participant

Sorry… I got lost. I started the thread in the GENERAL section. Sigh. I do apologize for being a complete nitwit.

michellibell
      Participant

Aaaand now I’ve started knitting. LOL!

shillelagh
        Participant

Michellibell I came in here to say the exact same thing!

I tried my hand at crocheting several years ago and failed spectacularly, so I wasn’t sure it would work, but I loved the textures & colours in the show so much I had to try. I’m proud to say that I started knitting after about the fourth episode and I’m almost done with my first project. 🙂

suekirk
      Participant

I knit a version of the shawl from ep 8 in the scene when Jamie and Claire on on the hill. I knit it as a “fauxbius” (fake möbius), but in the show, I think it just wraps with the ends tucked in. Terry, is that the case?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by suekirk.
        kellymager
        Participant

When the production pictures first came out I had posted on the FB page about the cowl and Terry had told me to look up patterns for an infinity scarf.

Selkie
      Participant

I would LOVE to see an official book of patterns! I understand that several of Claire’s knitted accessories were created by Flora at Inner Wild – is there any chance that this could all be brought together in a pattern book with Flora’d help? I am a member of both Outlander groups over at Ravelry and there would be a HUGE demand for this!

livingdreams
      Participant

Inspired by Claire’s beautiful cowl I started designing my own…not trying for an exact copy, more in the line of satisfying my craving for oversized sumptuousness 😉
      It is available as a pattern as well as kit in 7 colors here: http://www.outlanderknits.com
      and of course on ravelry.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by livingdreams.
      ValhallaLilly
      Participant

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alannaokun/the-knitwear-on-outlander-is-possibly-the-best-part-of-the-s#26e6xkj

Annnd of course Buzzfeed has a post about the knitting! (and once again I am very bad and didn’t read it all) But I thought I should share anyway!

Eloewien
      Participant

I’m actually trying to design some patterns based on these knits – it just depends on how fast I can get them knitted up! I’ve got quite a list of stuff to try to come up with- I really want to do the three color shawl, bulky brown shawl, Mrs. Fitz’s mitts and at least one set of mitts seen on Claire. It just depends on how fast I can knit and get my hands on yarn with my pitiful little yarn budget. I just found a couple yarns I recycled from old sweaters that I can start with. I’m starting with the bulky brown shawl and probably a shawl I saw in one of the wedding shots, because it’s what I already have yarn for.

livingdreams
      Participant

so many people have asked me about the yarn I used for the cowl. The ELEGANCE Outlander Cowl is actually knitted with… ELEGANCE! It is much thicker that most Super Bulkys and available in 7 colors. You can find all relevant links here: http://www.livingdreamsyarnandfiber.blogspot.com

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by livingdreams.
      suekirk
      Participant

I have actually created instructins for Claire’s Bulky Cowl, Claire’s Shawl (two versions – one wrap and one faux möbius, as seen in episode 8), Claire’s shrug (stipey, as seen in Claire’s first scene with Geillis), Mrs. Fitz Mitts, and other mitts/boot toppers that the cast wears. I am happy to share these instructions with all of you. Just tell me the best way to do it.

blytheny
      Participant

I am just starting to knit again – haven’t since my 13yr old was a baby, but happy to say muscle-memory is kicking in! Claire’s knitwear inspired me to give it a go, just started a cowl on Friday. Using size 35 needles – holy moly – but loving the open weave/knobbly/old worlde appearance of it so far. Will gratefully accept ANY and all advice, esp as I move on to trying matching fingerless gloves!! 😉

livingdreams
      Participant

sorry about my post with the many updates… not doing this on purpose, just struggling with wordpress 😉
      please forgive…wished there was a preview, sigh.

shillelagh
      Participant

I finally finished my scarf! First project ever. I’m pretty proud of myself. It’s not a particular style from the show, but definitely inspired in colour and pattern. 🙂 I’ve got some detail shots here, if you want to see. Next, I’m going to jump on the cowl bandwagon as well. Hoping to make some for Christmas.

sonyakhanum
        Participant

Looks awesome! I love the colour, it’s so rich. Do you mind sharing what yarn you used?

shillelagh
        Participant

Sure, it’s Loops & Thread’s Charisma in forest green. I am very much a texture person & this yarn is super soft and snuggly.

elizlk
      Participant

[quote quote=3607]I have actually created instructins for Claire’s Bulky Cowl, Claire’s Shawl (two versions – one wrap and one faux möbius, as seen in episode 8), Claire’s shrug (stipey, as seen in Claire’s first scene with Geillis), Mrs. Fitz Mitts, and other mitts/boot toppers that the cast wears. I am happy to share these instructions with all of you. Just tell me the best way to do it.[/quote]

If you have the pattern instructions in a document, you could save as PDF and attach the file to a post here ….

Catheryne
      Participant

There is a wonderful page on Facebook. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutlanderPatterns/
      and the people who are on here are wonderful. They have a list of all patterns related to Outlander knits and they are available in crochet and knitting. This is one of the most charming sites I have ever been on as there is no drama just people trying to help each other. It is so much fun to showcase what you have made on there and to see what others have made and they are just so very helpful with suggestions and other advice. Check it out.

chantalpax
        Participant

Has the page shut down?

IngaTipp
        Participant

It’s still going strong; it’s just been made into a secret group because it was getting so big the admins were getting overwhelmed. If you’re interested in joining, let me know and I’ll find out from one of the admins how to get you in.

grahamlass
      Participant

I am one who was not convienced by the knitted pieces in episodes 1-8. They just seemed inauthentic. The yarn color and weight looked period, but not the cowls and cable stitches. Perhaps if extras were placed around knitting (in the camp during the Gathering) or, now and again, if an actor walked by knitting (with a knitting belt and stick, yum!) it would have shown the designing and making of these supporting pieces in situ. As I am in the minority, so is this mention – a minor point in a deliciously dressed drama.

imboden
      Participant

I ALSO want to know if the cowl is a thick, one-piece or an “infinity” style scarf doubled over. The wider one-piece patterns I’ve seen don’t seem to lay right. The doubled over style look much more like what Claire wears, but it’s hard to tell. Since I plan on investing in some authentic, un-dyed wool for this project (maybe even from Scotland:)) I really wish I knew the TRUE answer. PLEASE, could you tell us, Terry? (Can you see my eyes batting from there???) Claire’s just lays so beautifully! It might help that Claire is a very experienced model, or that she has a crew to help it look “just right” – still, I would buy an official book of patterns in a heartbeat if it meant having the exact pattern. I’m thinking there would be a market for the sewn patterns and housewares as well.

I HAVE seen one of the thick cowl patterns that decreases a bit in the middle to give it a nicer “lay”.

CherylT
      Participant

This is my first post, so hello to everyone. I was out shopping tonight at JC Penney & Target, and saw knitted infinity scarves in many different styles (patterns) and colors at both stores. Either Terry has her finger on the fashion pulse, or Outlander has inspired a new fad. So for all those who do not knit, you can find something similar to Claire’s for about $20 in USA.

RobinS
      Participant

Forgive me if this has already been covered but I can’t find any reference to it with a search. This fabulous cowl looks as if it’s been knitted with thin strips of fur — is that the case? Does anyone know for sure?

Tucsonlady
      Participant

For me it’s the knitting that has stolen the costuming for Claire. Let me say upfront that I don’t knit and I live in the desert so I don’t plan a major expenditure on new knitted garments. I thought the knitted pieces in Claire’s wardrobe were breathtakingly beautiful. I’m hoping that was one of the industries that Caitronia Balfe talked about in an interview helping Scots revive dying traditions. I hope those won’t be lost for future generations.

livingdreams
      Participant

There are now a lot of OUTLANDER COWL KNIT KITS available on amazon. Many colors to choose from:
      http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_9?url=search-alias%3Darts-crafts&field-keywords=outlander+cowl+kit&sprefix=outlander%2Carts-crafts%2C292&rh=n%3A2617941011%2Ck%3Aoutlander+cowl+kit

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by livingdreams.
      livingdreams
      Participant

My favorite occupation right now is knitting while listening to the fabulous telling of the Outlander tale by Davina Porter on audible:
      http://www.audible.com/pd/Romance/Outlander-Audiobook/B002V1CJ8W/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1415236336&sr=1-1

mintlisa
      Participant

In the episode “The Way Out” during the dinner scene where Claire is teasing Jamie about kissing Laoghaire and then Murtagh calling her out about it, Claire is wearing what I think is a felted knit shrug. I can only find small or low res pictures of it and I would love to see it up close. I’m new to posting, so if this is not cool or in the wrong place just let me know.

woolfarmgal
      Participant

Hi, New to this blog and forum …but have loved the postings in this discussion. I have always loved all things Scots and love fiber crafts even more so. I raise a flock of Shetland sheep and hand process much of my wool while listening to the audio versions of the books. The rich natural colors of shetland sheep are represented in much of the knitted parts of the costuming. I especially love the grey garter stitched shawl. Shetland wool would have certainly been used during this time period for not only the knitted items, but especially the woven ones. Shetland wool is designed through nature-not man, and hence has some very unique qualities that would be beneficial and immensely practical in the harsh weather in the highlands. The wool has a soft down, but tempered with guard hairs that lend strength and practicality to the garments knitted and woven. And the varieties of white, fawn, Grey’s, Brown’s and blacks…are so beautiful and set off the naturally dyed tools in a tartan. Of course, the yarn was washed, carded and hand spun with amazing industry for the amount each family had to produce. Children were often first set to task to card the wool. And it was most certainly a community affair…like the scene of the wool wauking. And I am sure it was all hands on deck for the shearing day as it is today on the crofts on the Shetland islands like Foula. (There is an old book about living on Fouls that any knitter would enjoy.) Families need to gather in the sheep, then work together to harvest all the wool. In the second book, there is mention of sheep when Claire and Jamie return to his home place in Scotland. Some sheep are missing and Jamie and Ian set off to find them. There is mention that Jenny keeps a few Merino for the special knitting. I am hoping to see more knitted and woven items. I would especially like to see some scenes featuring more wool production, which was certainly going on in the background all through the story. Here are some of my sheep. And a pic of Shetland hats and a lamb…I have attached a free Shetland hat pattern. We attend fiber festivals teaching spinning and selling out Shetland and angora bunny yarn and roving and some felt things too. Shetland sheep on Sweet Tree Hill Farm.Shetland hats, knitted and woven shawls..Shetland lamb

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.