Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

1771 America (possibly SPOILERS)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Costuming Discussion 1771 America (possibly SPOILERS)

• Creator
    Topic
    rachely
    Participant

We went to Claude Moore Farm today and I took costume pics, including a nice laced waistcoat. In case anyone wants to start imagining book 4 forward : )

• This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by rachely.
Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      rachely
      Participant

more

rachely
      Participant

farm pics including the teeny house where 10 people lived (husband guessed 15×15 feet) downstairs plus loft

rachely
      Participant

house inside + tobacco barn + chicken

rachely
      Participant

cooking outside plus melting wax for candle making

michellibell
      Participant

Those red dresses are gorgeous.

I loved the Outlander series, but it wasn’t until they “moved” to America that I started to really, really connect to the story. Most of friends say that’s when the story slowed down for them, but to me, I really became personally invested when we moved to Colonial America.

AnCatDubh1980
      Participant

Thanks for sharing! Are you a fellow DMV resident or just visiting? (If you don’t mind me asking…)

I haven’t been to Claude Moore in probably a decade. The last time I was there it was for a volunteer project during which I spent 8 hours on a ladder helping to re-roof a structure with hand-wrought nails and this awkward, but authentic, hammer. Not such a fun day for the girl who avoids home-maintenance projects like the plague.

rachely
      Participant

Live in Alexandria

AnCatDubh1980
        Participant

Hello neighbor! Lived in Alexandria for about 14 years, and now (begrudgingly) in Springfield for the past 3.

Thinking this might be a good time to revisit Claude Moore farm (as a guest this time). One thing I particularly liked about it was that it showed daily life on a working family farm. Much different from the “plantation experience” one gets when visiting places such as Mt. Vernon, Montpelier, Monticello, Gunston Hall, Berkeley, etc. that are all over VA. Both types of experiences are certainly educational, informative, and valuable in their own right, but there’s fewer opportunities to explore the lives of the non-elites.

rachely
      Participant

I’m actually in Alexandria in Fairfax so right next to Springfield. I love CMCF and will be a costumed interpreter next season

CelticGlamazon
      Participant

[quote quote=4409]Those red dresses are gorgeous.

I loved the Outlander series, but it wasn’t until they “moved” to America that I started to really, really connect to the story. Most of friends say that’s when the story slowed down for them, but to me, I really became personally invested when we moved to Colonial America.
      [/quote]

I have had the same experience. I’ve been warned that the books would get harder to read, but I’m more fascinated by the life/times during Colonial America. It’s weird reading about places that I grew up in and around, in this context. I’m from Eastern NC, and am constantly amazed at how accurate DG’s descriptions are of life here in NC, from the bugs to the weather. My family originated from the Belhaven/New Bern area during this time frame on one side, and the Southern Virginia/Dismal Swamp area on the other. The swamp folks were the Scots, interesting side of the family. I thought all Southern US families used words like verra, cannae, and och. Anyway, to end my family history ramble, I think this is why I have fallen so hard for “A Breath of Snow and Ashes” & “An Echo In The Bone”, especially. Though I’m only half way through ECHO.

I’m hoping that I can attend the event in Williamsburg, VA that the Outlander VA group is planning.

Thank you for sharing the pictures, Rachel. I’m thinking of COSplaying Brianna for a con next year, and these helped me focus my costume ideas.

rachely
        Participant

You can borrow any of my clothes you’d want…except you’d need your own stays unless your measurements are exactly the same as mine : )

michellibell
      Participant

[quote quote=4418]Thanks for sharing! Are you a fellow DMV resident or just visiting? (If you don’t mind me asking…)

I haven’t been to Claude Moore in probably a decade. The last time I was there it was for a volunteer project during which I spent 8 hours on a ladder helping to re-roof a structure with hand-wrought nails and this awkward, but authentic, hammer. Not such a fun day for the girl who avoids home-maintenance projects like the plague.
      [/quote]
      This actually sounds like something right down my alley. I love DIY, construction, building stuff, etc. + a history major.
      My dad built our log cabin by hand and INSISTED that he use authentic square head nails on the inside paneling. He cracks me up. After the house was built and family & friends would come over for a tour and visit, no one ever noticed the square nails. So Dad made a point to highlight them on every tour. And it rubbed off on me… so whenever someone would come over and I’d show them around, I’d be sure to point out the nails for Dad.

michellibell
      Participant

[quote quote=4435]You can borrow any of my clothes you’d want…except you’d need your own stays unless your measurements are exactly the same as mine : )[/quote]
      I have never tried on authentic stays. I’d love to see how they fit and feel.

rachely
        Participant

They’re hot, and there’s no slouching. But once you get used to looking down and seeing O, HAI THERE ARE MY BOOBS, they’re not all that uncomfortable. I own bras that are more pinchy than my stays. (Stays don’t squash your waist in like a victorian corset, so you can breath fine.)

michellibell
      Participant

I have no problem with trying to find my boobs. They’re like a shelf that stick way out and catch all the dribbles from my mouth. Highly annoying.

rachely
      Participant

oh, I hear you sister. So just imagine the way it is now, but somehow more obvious, because they’re naked.

CelticGlamazon
      Participant

[quote quote=4441]I have no problem with trying to find my boobs. They’re like a shelf that stick way out and catch all the dribbles from my mouth. Highly annoying. [/quote]

I never get food stains on my pants, the food never reaches that far. I’ve gotten to the point that I just say “well, maybe they were hungry” when I drop food on my bewbs.

[quote quote=4435]You can borrow any of my clothes you’d want…except you’d need your own stays unless your measurements are exactly the same as mine : )[/quote]

I’m 6’3”, would the clothes still work? 🙂

rachely
        Participant

I’m 6’3”, would the clothes still work? 🙂

Depends, you don’t happen to be 6’3″ because you are really long waisted do you?

CelticGlamazon
        Participant

[quote quote=4474]

I’m 6’3”, would the clothes still work? :)

Depends, you don’t happen to be 6’3″ because you are really long waisted do you?
        [/quote]

I have a 34 inch inseam, so I’m pretty sure it’s my legs that make me tall. Very short rise.

rachely
        Participant

I swear when I wrote that line it had a winky smile at the end, since I think you might topple over like a big-breasted-anime-character-should if you had legs like mine with an extra foot of torso 🙂

CelticGlamazon
      Participant

Random, inane question. So how well do Stays work for someone with Gianourmous boobs, it’s a technical term, I swear. I’m seriously concerned about their ability to be supportive in any valuable way, and it’s this concern that makes me afraid to attempt one of these era costumes.

rachely
      Participant

I’m a 34H… but, since once upon a time everyone wore them, they must work for everyone (Mrs Fitz, Claire, Brianna).

My favorite pattern is one that was designed with my measurements. It’s the tightness under the boobs that holds the girls up. Email/message/whatever LBCC Historical (she’s on twitter, etsy) and ask her. She’s lovely.

(The ones in this pic are actually too high up under my armpits… and my shift is wonky)

CelticGlamazon
        Participant

I think I’ll go with stays that have the shoulder supports, or possibly removable shoulder pieces. I see what you mean about the sides being too high. Thanks for the reference, I’ll send a message. 🙂

rachely
        Participant

I need to unbind the tops, hack off fabric and boning, and rebind.

Sigh.

michellibell
      Participant

[quote quote=4699]I’m a 34H… but, since once upon a time everyone wore them, they must work for everyone (Mrs Fitz, Claire, Brianna).

My favorite pattern is one that was designed with my measurements. It’s the tightness under the boobs that holds the girls up. Email/message/whatever LBCC Historical (she’s on twitter, etsy) and ask her. She’s lovely.

(The ones in this pic are actually too high up under my armpits… and my shift is wonky)
      [/quote]

My husband would love me if I showed up wearing this.

rachely
      Participant

Ha! I got in as a Farm Site volunteer. Now I need to come up with my character. Starting with a name… There are a list of suggested names. You all clearly need to help, since my first thought was Priscilla because my 80s upbringing in Massachusetts means I always DREAMED of a Priscilla of Boston wedding dress. With puffed sleeves. Then after the wedding I would live a life of Boston Brahmin leisure, living on Beacon Hill and summering on the Vineyard.

Suggestions for first names:

Alice
      Anna/Anne
      Barbara
      Charlotte
      Dorothy/Dorothea/Dolley
      Elizabeth/Bet/Betty
      Evelyn
      Frances
      Hannah
      Henrietta
      Jane
      Jenny
      Joan
      Judith
      Katherine/Kate/Kitty
      Lucy
      Margaret/Peggy
      Martha
      Maria
      Mary/Molly/Polly
      Nancy
      Priscilla
      Rebecca
      Rose
      Sally
      Sarah
      Susan/Suky
      Susannah
      Ursula

to go with: Surnames in 1771 in Fairfax County, VA

Adams
      Ashford
      Ballinger
      Barrett
      Boggess
      Brown
      Cotton
      Donaldson
      Douglas
      Frizzel
      Grimes
      Hall
      Jackson
      Jenkins
      Kitchen
      Littlejohn
      Moxley
      Owens
      Pratt
      Prim
      Ransom
      Shortridge
      Stone
      Talbot
      Thomas
      Thrift
      Trammell
      Williams
      Wren

CelticGlamazon
      Participant

I’m partial to Henrietta because it’s my great grandmothers name, and Littlejohn because I love Robin Hood. 🙂

michellibell
      Participant

How about Ursula Moxley? bwahahahaha!

Ok, for reals. My choices would be:
      Rose Ashford
      Hannah Shortridge
      Kitty Barrett

And I’ll be

Suky Frizzel

rachely
        Participant

How about Boggess? Which I would spend most of my life saying “Bloggess” as in, The Bloggess 🙂

I have a weird affection for Kitty, probably because my parents named me Rachel so I wouldn’t have a nickname and I’ve missed out!

michellibell
      Participant

Nope, don’t want to confuse you with The Bloggess. Although she does crack me up. “Knock, knock mother fucker.”

Taking your preferences into consideration, I vote Kitty Barrett.

CelticGlamazon
      Participant

[quote quote=4871]How about Ursula Moxley? bwahahahaha!

Ok, for reals. My choices would be:
      Rose Ashford
      Hannah Shortridge
      Kitty Barrett

And I’ll be

Suky Frizzel
      [/quote]

SUKY FRIZZEL, FTW, for the M’efin WIN

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.