Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Martina
Participant

I work with a lot of Europeans, and I think they are much less sensitive to the issue of “inappropriate touching” than Americans are. They very commonly do the two cheek greeting, for instance. They’ve never patted me on the butt, but I’ve been surprised with hugs. Believe me, it’s much worse to have a famous scientist make sure you know that you’re not important enough for him to remember your correct name.

I’ve never asked a famous person for a picture, but I’ve seen others who have, and the famous person usually initiates any physical contact. If they don’t want to be touched, there are verbal and non-verbal ways to make that clear. Fans have always wanted to get close to their idols (think of Frank Sinatra or the Beatles). There will always be the crazies, and I would think that after a certain level of familiarity with stardom is obtained by the star, they learn how to deal with them in person and (nowadays) online. To me, it’s similar to a “don’t feed the trolls” mentality. The idea that strangers would feel that they have to protect a grown man from a woman who (intentionally or unintentionally) patted him on the bum doesn’t say much for what they think of his ability to make his feelings clear. The “childification” of Sam, Cait or Graham in some of these posts is really disturbing.