Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

kladislaus
Participant

Jan, it still goes to the greater discussion on inappropriate touching. There is a division between fans on what constitutes acceptable behavior and not. Perhaps it is a good lesson to all how we intentionally or inadvertently hurt one another with misunderstandings and how things can escalate on social media.
As to being “mean”, that is not acceptable no matter whose side you are on.

Even though the claim is that there was no “butt grab” the person claimed there was. Jesting on social media reminds me of high school boys, and maybe even girls, saying they got lucky on a date when they didn’t. Somebody’s reputation is affected.

Age has nothing to do with inappropriate touching by a stranger. If Sam is ok with fans making physical contact with him, someone might want to sit him down and explain how that might put himself or a companion in danger by encouraging it. Not all fans are in a state of full mental health and by virtue of the fact that many, many fans are following the production to locations, presents inherent risks being so “open” with fans. I recall hearing of one fan breaking down and crying way back at that first eye-opener for me event in LA because she didn’t get to meet Sam.

I found this article on inappropriate touching at work. The rules I think apply generally to anyone we are not friends or family and a good guideline for fans. http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/worklife/02/08/cb.getting.physical.at.work/

My apologies if I piled on anything that grieves another reader here.

Kathleen