Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

janschurr
Participant

Well, it appears I may be guilty of “piling on” to the young woman who touched Sam in Prague. It appears she is quite short and inadvertantly brushed his butt, or her hand landed on his butt when putting her arm around him, and they both laughed at it. (I can tell you, as someone 5′ with a 6’3″ son-in-law, when we stand in a group picture I have to raise my arm so it’s not on his butt!) Perhaps her big mistake was in making a joke about grabbing him on her Instagram – aimed at her friends – and not realizing so many others would see it. So, if it was accidental (and she apologized to Sam, which he accepted by saying he’s a grown man) then perhaps she is owed an apology by the many, many people who were very mean to her. Another example of how social media can cause so many problems.

Does bring up the question of people “rushing to his defense” by being mean. Some comments were polite comments on the inappropriateness of touching anyone, celebrity or not, but many went way overboard. He is, after all, 35 years old.