Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

janschurr
Participant

So there was a photo from one of the Prague fans posted to her IG account, and then it made it’s way onto an FB fan group. The “public” picture shows a group shot, Sam and 4-5 young women, his arm around one of them. The IG picture (it is not a private account, so anyone could see it) shows Sam looking at a women to his left with a surprised, slightly shocked look on his face. She was bragging about having grabbed his ass.
I was glad to see that the majority of the comments on her IG feed were chastising her for not respecting Sam’s personal space, although some of the comments were phrased nastily. Many pointed out that the fandom would be up in arms if a man did that to Cait, and that just because Sam seems to laugh things off, it is still not okay – and such actions are part of what lead public figures to avoid the public.
I bring it up here because I feel that you, Terry, are partially responsible for raising the overall consciousness of the fans about issues of respect and boundaries. At the very least, you have opened discussions that probably would not have happened, so thank you for your interaction!