Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations Reply To: Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations

toriamae
Participant

I think I worded that wrong. I don’t think it’s as much about past and present as whether your expectations for the future are based on the past or the moment. Two moments from the show demonstrate this really well: Claire looking at the vase in the window and that moment where Jamie is working in the field, just before he hears Jenny scream. Each character has at that moment an expectation of what the future will look like. Each is about to be radically knocked off that course. How does each respond to that change? How quickly do they grasp the scope of that change and move forward on the path before them? How much time and energy to they expend trying to get back to the previous path?

You can see this at a micro level within single lives or at a macro level with the clans trying to bring back the Scottish king.

In both the books and the movies, the possession or collection of material things is strongly correlated with this. Claire has exactly two possessions she holds to: her wedding rings. Jamie’s big possession he holds to is Lallybroch. (Having Claire’s ring made from the key in the show really brings this to the forefront!) Both Bree and Roger have boxes and boxes of stuff. Frank is a great collector of stuff. Geillis and Dougal are collecting money/stuff. It’s very zen in my mind. When Jamie lets go of Lallybroch, he doesn’t let go of being laird but recognizes that being a leader is about who he is, not the property he possesses. That is the point of maturity for the characters: when their identity is independent of possessions.

As you can see, I think a bit much about this stuff and have a particular world view, but that’s what I love about stories: the universal nature of high quality human narrative. The way well told stories reflect on who we are as people.