Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: Claire's stockings

celticlily
Participant

Hi, Cassie!

Thank you so much for the links; I will definitely look at those. They both appear very, very interesting! I am nerdy and like that sort of thing. You are absolutely right: knitting in the 18th century was all fine gauge. Mara Riley has some information all about that and needle sizes on her website (She’s a gold mine of information and has links to more sites and books, as well.) I’m glad I’m not the only one bothered by modern knits being mixed in with period costumes. It just took away from the believability of the production – which is, on the whole, excellent. (I’m glad you liked my t-shirt and combat boots comment!)

I do hope “Outlander” will be recognized at some of the award ceremonies, but I know it will face some serious competition from “Downton Abbey” (I am also a HUGE fan of “Downton” – the writing is superb and the cast is fantastic, but Maggie Smith is my favorite! How can she not be! Her one-line quips are fantastic and so dead-on! 🙂 ) and from the new “Poldark”. I just learned that Aidan Turner was cast without even submitting a screen test! They just wanted him and contacted his agent directly. From the preview, I can see why, he’s great in that role. I’m not so sure that 18th century men had such well developed, beautiful bodies as Jamie Fraser and Ross Poldark, but they are nice to stare at ;). Their beautiful bodies keep the ladies tuning in – Good for ratings :). You probably can access Masterpiece Theater (PBS in America) and the BBC on your computer and watch it online. Here is a link to the “Poldark” preview:

The BBC is also airing another great show, “Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell”. It has just begun airing here in the U.S. and it’s fantastic! It’s about two magicians during the Napoleonic age and they want to bring magic back to England and use it to help defeat Napoleon. However, not all goes well… It’s based on an excellent novel (which I have but have not read yet) by Susanna Clarke. I’ve seen the first episode and it’s wonderful. Another serious contender at the award shows. This is a link to the BBC America with the first episode loaded, if you are interested:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/jonathan-strange-and-mr-norrell/

I really enjoy classic literature and historic dramas. Thomas Vinterberg made a new version of “Far From the Madding Crowd” with Carrie Mulligan and I would really like to see it. However, John Schlesinger’s 1967 version with Julie Christie, Alan Bates, Peter Finch, and Terence Stamp and a wonderful ensemble of actors will forever remain one of my favorite films. I love the way John Schlesinger uses his camera to make the viewer see through the eyes of the various characters: Joseph Poorgrass is driving home drunk and everything is blurred and the cow lows are like fog horns…. or when Mr. Boldwood first falls in love with Bathsheba at the Corn Exchange and everything moves in slow motion – it’s pure genius and all pre-CGI. Directors, producers and studios don’t make movies like that now. I think the world moves too fast these days to appreciate that film and how great it is. One critic recently said that Schlesinger’s version is dull. Oh, that sent me to the computer to fire off and email telling him how WRONG he was!!!! 🙂

Well, I’ve blathered on for quite some time. I hope I haven’t bored you. It’s nice to find someone to talk with who shares some of my interests. Please, if you find any more interesting links, do post them. I would love to see them. Australia must be having milder weather now that it’s winter for you. When I was in high school, I had a friend who was an exchange student from Australia; she was from New South Wales. Her mother once wrote to her that she had to find a new pen in order to finish her letter as all the ink in the one she was using had evaporated! I live in Michigan, and as it was our winter at the time, I told her to write back that she had to change pens because her ink had frozen :). Sadly, we have lost touch.

Take good care and warmest best wishes,

Mary (Celticlily)