Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: Claire's stockings

celticlily
Participant

Cassie, you are a woman after my heart!- a knitter and a Steeleye Span fan!! 🙂 “All Around My Hat” is a wonderful album (All their albums are wonderful albums!).

No problem on the knit-along; maybe we can do it at a later date. It would be fun to knit a pair of genuine 18th century stockings. Mara Riley has a wonderful, and free, pattern on her website. I have many projects going on that I need to finish first. Thank you for the link to Kentwell. I will definitely take a look at it. It seems a little over-the-top to me that the Australia Occ Health and Safety doesn’t allow corsets. Corsets in their day DID wreak havoc on a woman’s body (drawn so tight that rib bones punctured vital organs, etc.). It just depends on how tightly the ties are drawn in and modern women prefer to be comfortable and not just sofa ornaments.

Please stay in touch! Let me know if you want to start a knit-along sometime. If you do decide to just wander around in costume (tell people you’re just off the boat!! 🙂 ), please, PLEASE, post pictures!! That would be so much fun! You take care, too!!

Warmest best wishes,

Mary (Celticlily)