Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

TerriP
Participant

I’m referring to the video you referenced. “He was just doing his thing.” Yes he was. Then he published it on twitter and the twitterverse did its thing. I’m talking about consequences. Twitter is a public domain. It isn’t your personal playground. You can’t publish something private in the public domain and expect people to respect your privacy. Everything you put on twitter can be seen by the whole world. It’s not private and if you read the terms and conditions you would know that. To expect your twitter posts to be viewed as private and not critiqued or reacted to by strangers would be like publishing a book and then getting mad when people read and critiqued it.

Everything you have ever posted is out there for public perusal and YOU published it. It isn’t the internet’s fault. It’s yours. If Sam didn’t want people to know who he was dating, which he did say at one point, he shouldn’t have published that video on his twitter account. I know that a photographer posted it on his wall but he could have deleted it instead of retweeting it. Personally, I’d have been very mad at the photographer for violating my privacy and publishing that online.

Social media reacted, as it does, and now he has to suffer questions about who he is dating, endure the advances of hot to trot ladies who think he’s into sexual objectification and want to take a position in the cue, and constantly work to scrub that video from the web as much as possible to keep people from harassing that poor girl. I have heard its in the darknet – complete with her twitter account info. Hope not. That is the domain of perverts.

You should probably understand the technology you are using especially if you think its private.