Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

TerriP
Participant

I have seen a blip of something going on on twitter between Sam Heughan and someone who is upset about his personal posts which is a strange thing for a fan to be upset about. I don’t know the whole story there so there is probably more to it but it appeared as if that person is teasing Sam because Sam doesn’t realize he published that stuff himself (no one was digging).

There are worse things that can happen on social media. I was having a conversation a few weeks ago with a friend on Facebook about the movie “The Exorcist” when a very strange man I do not know broke into the conversation. He tagged me and asked if being afraid made me “horny.” He then proceed to send a friend request and IM me telling me all the things he wanted to do to me. Suffice it to say, the man is a sadist. I don’t know if this is a random contact that will stay in the cyber world or if I’ve been found by someone I helped put in jail. I am a retired Legal Advocate for Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault victims. I don’t recognize the name but his profile indicates he’s from the area I practiced in. I don’t have the money to pay a body guard. My body guard is an eighteen pound pug who may or may not bark. Further, very few people are going to notice my absence let alone care if the worst happens. I’m not going to muster an army to back my ass by announcing my plight on twitter. All that would do is worry my kids.

Public figures are not the only ones who get harassed online. Honestly, what Sam is going through, relatively speaking, is not that bad.