Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: OUTLANDER ISSUES ****SPOILER ALERT****

cainsworth
Participant

Hi Barb,

If it weren’t for what I’ve read so far in MOHB, I think I would be inclined to agree with the notion that Claire’s outlook about Jenny might have been unreliable in the first book. Again, I’m not very far into it yet, but so far in that book Jenny has been more than accommodating to Claire and very helpful in keeping her out of the hands of the British Army. I always interpreted Jenny’s wrath in Voyager with the fact that she had to witness six years of Jamie without Claire, and that it broke her heart to see him so miserable. Miserable to the point that he insisted on turning himself in (albeit to save the Murrays) with no thought to his own welfare. And the, on top of that misery, to all of a sudden realize that Claire actually wasn’t dead (and no true explanation given for her absence)— I think that would cause some serious trust issues. I can see her not really understanding how Claire could have just left Jamie knowing what it would do to him… as well as being highly suspicious that she might do it again. I have to admit that I might be a little bitter as well if I watched a loved one go through the heartbreak that Jenny witnessed from Jamie. 😉

You make good points, though. 🙂 I think it will be interesting to see what happens later this season between Claire and Jenny.
~C

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by cainsworth.