Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Katie (@bunnums)
Participant

Jackie,

I was also disturbed by the photos leaked yesterday. To be honest, no so much the actual content of the photos but the manner in which they were distributed. Media/reviewers have had episodes 9-13 for a while now, presumably with an embargo on discussing the contents of those episodes. (I work in PR and handle embargoed content regularly, though I do not and have never worked in the entertainment industry.) It is a huge violation, in my experience, to allow embargoed content out.

I am going to assume that the contracts for the actors have clauses about nudity and that everyone involved agreed to those terms. However, it’s one thing for that kind of salacious content to be out there after it’s been released by the production (ie, in the context of the episode on its air date). It’s quite another for it to be leaked by some unnamed source completely out of context. And that bothers me to no end.

There’s also another discussion to be had about why the production felt it necessary to have Jamie stand in thigh-deep water instead of waist-deep water (as, I believe is the case in the written text). Standing in water waist-deep with the red boxers floating off would give the exact same information, but without the seemingly gratuitous visual. I will wait to pass final judgement on that until I see the scene *in context* (I’m guessing it’s in the Lallybroch episode) but I’m hoping against hope that it’s not just to give female viewers a screenshot to squee over. I know, I’m the eternal optimist. 🙂

Katie