Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: What's Your Rank?

Katie (@bunnums)
Participant

I always find these discussions so interesting. There is so much in each of these books and each of us relates to them differently based on our own experiences and outlooks.

1) Outlander – the beginning of it all. In many ways, I think Diana becomes more refined at the craft of writing in later books, but there’s something about the raw-ness and earnestness of this initial book that will always appeal. And it will always be my first love.

2) DIA/ABOSAA/MOBY all tied, all for different reasons. DIA touches me at my deepest core in a way no other book ever has. The first time I read DIA I had a lot of trouble with it. I spent much of the book being angry at both Claire and Jamie. But the second time I read it was years and years later, after I’d suffered my own brutal round of postpartum depression. And then I understood everything so much more. Yes, it is perhaps the most emotionally wrenching, but I find the writing so brilliant and touching that I love it. ABOSAA just grabs you by the heart and won’t let go. And there’s something about the general tone and voice of MOBY I just love (no more details, to avoid spoilers).

3) Fiery Cross/Echo/Voyager tied. FC and Echo have a bit of a tactical tone that doesn’t appeal to me quite as much as the others, but there’s plenty to love about them. And while Voyager has one of my most favorite scenes ever (the print shop) and there’s something so touching about Jamie’s years without Claire, the rest of the book is just too over-the-top rollicking adventure to me. I mean, they just got back together! I want them just have time together to breathe! And from the morning after the reunion until they wind up in Georgia it just doesn’t happy and I don’t like that.

4) Drums. I will never be able to get past the miscommunications and lies of omission, and blame the whole cast of characters – Claire, Bree, Jamie, Ian, Roger, and Lizzie!

Katie