Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: OK, let's do this: The Beating and Issues of Consent

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion OK, let's do this: The Beating and Issues of Consent Reply To: OK, let's do this: The Beating and Issues of Consent

sonyakhanum
Participant

Specifically about the belting, it’s a tough one and I have so many conflicted feelings about it. I try to approach it by contemplating on its purpose with the general thought that a particular scene or passage is there for a particular purpose (though I guess DG would be the only one who could speak to that). Why is that scene in the novel? What is it trying to convey or what kind of reaction is it trying to get from the readers? For me personally, it had the following effect (and I’m not sure if this was DG’s purpose or what): in some places, the past, like the 18th century, is not a great place to be for women. I often talk about my #1 dream to time travel, but often get reminded by friends that it might not be as fun as I imagine, especially for women. Claire being thrown back to the past in the 18th century isn’t a fun fairytale, but is actually pretty sucky.

As for whether the episode being to the book or modifying it somewhat, I just hope we continue to have Claire’s POV.