Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: OK, let's do this: The Beating and Issues of Consent

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion OK, let's do this: The Beating and Issues of Consent Reply To: OK, let's do this: The Beating and Issues of Consent

Katie (@bunnums)
Participant

After going thru these scenes time and time again with the TSatS seminar, I have to still say that the strapping doesn’t bother me as much as some other scenes. Yes, it’s outside Jamie’s character, but he was also hurt and vulnerable and angry (though I think “anger” barely begins to describe it) in a way we hadn’t seen before and took that out on Claire. Was that a mistake on his part? Probably. But, to me, it feels like it serves the arc of the story and the growth and learning of the characters.

TV show: I’m betting anything that Willie gets beaten to a pulp for losing Claire in the first place (wasn’t there a glimpse of that in the most recent trailer?), and then Claire has to take her “punishment” for leaving. That puts it more in the realm of community, and will make it a tiny bit easier for the audience to swallow. But overall, I trust Ron & Co to handle it well without shying away from controversy.