Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

conniebv
Participant

Getting back to why these things hit us so hard, I have to say that aside from the Sam/Jamie issue I noticed that Geillis, Laoghaire and Claire go out and about in daylight with their cleavage showing and in front of strangers. Now what I know I learned from a tour guide in Williamsburg, but she said that colonial women would have covered their cleavages during the day with a fichu or a neckerchief because to walk around otherwise would have marked them as having loose morals.

Now there might be some differences between Colonial US and Scotland in the 1740s, and I have talked with others who made a good point that Leoch was a noble house and the women might very well not be as obsessed with modesty as a women in lower classes, but it’s still a line of demarcation between these three characters/actresses and the other actresses, at least visually for me.