Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations Reply To: Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations

patriciatrish
Participant

I love Roger Mac, but I could never really stomach Bree. After Claire and Jamie, Young Ian was my MAN.

Bree is one tough nut to crack. When I think of all the characters in the series, I don’t really like any other female character then Claire (except Jenny but she can be some work). Was this intentional on Diana’s part?

The women at the French Court are so vapid, especially Louise. I hope they smarten her up. Mary Hawkins is too weak. Bree can be such a brat, even into MOBY where she should be more of a grown-up. Rachel needs to drop the thees and thous, it’s distracting. Geillis is interesting but evil. Laoghaire I have some sympathy for but that’s because of what I bring to the reading, not because of Diana’s portrait of her. I like the events surrounding Jocasta but I don’t like Jocasta. Come to think of it, the women who are interesting become evil. It’s as though only Claire can be interesting, not annoying, and not totally evil.

The men, on the other hand, are more nuanced. Roger Mac is a dream, Lord John Grey has so many interesting characteristics, even Ulysses is intriguing. I would continue to read the series if Young Ian becomes the main character.