Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

maureenanne
Participant

Yes, saga, adventure…
I have seen some recent press that the show is sexy, smart and stirring. I really like the term stirring and I think the musician responsible for the sound track is using this as well in his marketing efforts.

Separate from reading the books, the visual aspects of the story are at times very cozy and then quite menacing. I’m not certain if the cozy side is what prompted the term Outlander World? The menacing side is BJR and he is such a fascinating and tortured soul.

We all need entertainment as escape and so it could be that Outlander World is where we need to escape to? I really respond to that term because of the sets and costumes but others may relate differently. I am not a marketing professional but in the states we really respond to history, revolution, freedom which is what the Jacobite rebellions are all about…and culminate at Culloden. Yes the battle was lost but not entirely in vain. The spirit of rebellion and revolution lived on in Europe and the states and DGs novels illustrate how some Scots enjoyed freedom finally in the US. Wow, I am on a tangent. Sorry. But I think this conflict is very compelling from a marketing perspective.
I also like the marketing references to honor, morality and the breathtaking beauty of Scotland. I would also like to see redemption, fidelity, and spirituality developed.