Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the TV portrayal of the "Strong Woman"

conniebv
Participant

[quote quote=7033]

You know that they say in the treatment of addiction, the first step to solving your problem is admitting you have one. The first steps to creating the world as it should be are to challenge the way it is now, and sometimes that is a painful and damaging thing to do. Thank you for sharing the story from your class. It helps to understand the experience of others. [/quote]

Just as a clarification, I didn’t share it because change shouldn’t happen, but more because I suppose I am a practical gal and along with the long-term visionary plans and idealistic outlooks I like to have a couple of “what if this happens to me” problem-solvers in my back pocket, and the idea that this woman had trained this child for 5 years in her life’s work of gender-neutrality and he still got shot down (he ended up taking the barrette out) by another 5 yo made me smile. I read a parenting book that said something along the lines of your teen isn’t going to smoke because he wants to, he will because someone will say something he won’t have a response to and the embarrassment will make that decision.”

So I teach my boys to be emotive and respect my intelligence, but I also try to give them little phrases or comebacks they can say to deflect situations in the meantime.

In the meantime, I’ll take Claire. And I would like to take more of her in the marketing, and less Jamie. I do however, see her outspokenness as a male-gender quality for both time periods, and even now to some extent (depending on where you live).

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by conniebv.