Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

patriciatrish
Participant

May I suggest we take a break from the Diana comment for a bit? I’m not a moderator, I’m not trying to control the board, but it seems to be a touchy subject. This thread was going at a nice pace with some interesting new discussions and I would I love to see that continue.

I’m sorry I bought it up. I’ve said my peace and I’m happy to move on. I know you’re not a moderator Mrs. Parker but I do thank you and some of the other lead posters for helping to keep the thread on track.

Topic? I don’t tend to notice when a TV show is marketed directly to me, a woman. Why do I notice it so much with this one? The marketing feels like “For Ladies Only, Look at Our Male Lead! No Men Allowed!” I heard the audience for the show is 47% male, so are they all being forced to watch by their wives?

I do think this contributes to the objectification/harassment issue that I bought up earlier. If we’re bombarded with these images and taglines from the marketing team, it reinforces the idea that Sam Heughan is there to be looked at as a single object, rather than part of this whole experience. It’s not the sole reason for the boundary-crossing antics of a certain set of the fandom but I think it does play a role.