Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

MrsParker
Participant

[quote quote=6954]I wouldn’t go as far as saying it’s a privilege. Ron, Terry, Sam et. al are in the business of selling a product. Social media is a fact in marketing any product. I will say that they are generous with their time and their work, and let’s face it, they are generous with their fans. I don’t think their generosity should be taken for granted. (Mrs. Parker, can we still be friends even though I disagreed with you on a fine point? I love cheese!)

PatriciaTrish, no worries. I have many friends who are wrong, err, I mean disagree with me. That’s why I keep a variety of cheese handy – not everyone likes the same kinds.

Keeping up with the fan entitlement discussion, I wonder if the advent of social media has made fans more demanding. As PT says, social media is now a fact for any show (product) and the open access and the sheer volume of events, award shows, online voting for popularity contests, appearances, etc. have created a more active fan base. Fans are making more effort to BE engaged with the show, not just simply watching it and discussing it on- and off-line. People usually want to be seen and awarded for their efforts and work, whether it’s a photoshop meme, constant online voting, or standing online outside of an event for hours on end. There’s an expectation that such actions lead to more access, more personal contact, and an acknowledgement of those efforts. When they feel they’re not being heard, they become more shrill and more outrageous in their demands. It’s a beast that demands to be fed. Starz Marketing feeds it with up-kilt shots, the fans lighten the image to reveal more than what was intended, the image gets passed around as people jump on the bandwagon.

And of course this doesn’t speak for every actively engaged fan. Connie is a great example – she does something fun and creative that many people enjoy but does not expect any more attention from it. When she gets it, it’s thrilling, but she doesn’t demand more of it.

Again, I think it’s great that the production team and the cast and even Diana are so willing to show us so much and engage with us, but sometimes I wonder if it’s more than they bargained for. And I wonder if we’re soon going to hit a tipping point and we’ll be left saying “this is why we can’t have nice things.”