Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Maggie
Participant

I personally keep in mind that this much access is a privilege.

I will say that they are generous with their time and their work, and let’s face it, they are generous with their fans.

Not to sound wishy-washy but I think it’s both. The show needs to have an active involved fanbase, especially as they are relying on cable subscriptions and not advertising dollars. I think this explains why there’s been no push-back on the fanbase. On the other hand, fans need to remember that the actors are people and beyond talking about the show, they owe us nothing. Nada. Not one little thing beyond that.

Getting back to what Mrs. Parker says, social media does make you feel closer to the action and you do feel like part of the family. A few weeks back Caitriona tweeted that she was home watching Transparent (this was right after the Golden Globes win). I was doing the same thing at the time and nearly tweeted her back, until I remembered that I didn’t really know her and that I had never spoken with her on Twitter. There she was in my feed, just like all my other non-celebrity Twitter friends, doing something perfectly normal. If it was just another friend I would have tweeted her back. So I think the line can get fuzzy sometimes and people forget themselves.