Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Julia
Participant

Terri P. I remember that one-second video clip and have to say I sure didn’t see what you saw at all. This is what I saw: a man and a woman playing around in a pool, both dressed in normal bathing clothes. The woman is a very old friend of the man’s and they are horsing around and he picked her up a bit and then let her fall back into the pool. I saw totally innocent, friendly play between friends. Now, what some fans chose to read into it (imo, of course) is not SH’s fault.

Sure is interesting how different people’s impressions of things can be.

As far as DG’s comments during the 92Y panel goes–I didn’t read his initial reaction as anything worse than a bit surprised and then he played along with it. I have no idea if he felt wronged in any way and I don’t think we can tell by his reaction. I do think the context of such comments or actions matter a great deal. And I also think that many, if not most people have trouble taking those context factors into consideration, if only because it requires a bit of nuanced thinking that not everyone likes to do.

The scene at the Anglophilia awards with the interviewer talking about “seeing them in the altogether”? I saw his reaction as being playful and mocking when he did that quick eyebrow raise and wide-eye thing.

I guess I just don’t interpret his behavior as damning in any way. Has he overtly discouraged women’s attentions? Probably not, afaik. But, he’s walking a bit of a tightrope here and has to be careful.

TBH, I thought the comments about Shiels in the wake of that clip were atrocious but I didn’t blame SH for them and I doubt she did either.