Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Lady Gwynedd
Participant

Honestly, I don’t think it is fair to continually ascribe motivations to Sam when you only have your own, admittedly extreme, reaction to go on.

Both the young lady in that video and the person who took it posted it on their twitter pages, tagged Sam, who then retweeted it. We don’t know why he chose to do it. Maybe he was just doing what those ladies asked, perhaps?

Look at it this way: Since Hollywood is a numbers game, maybe the women felt being associated with an actor who has had huge upsurges in his “numbers” (i.e., his bankability in the box office due to the fandom) would be a good thing for their own careers. I don’t really know. I don’t think it is fair to the individuals to assume we do.

All we can be in control of is our own reaction. We can respect the actors’ privacy. We can appreciate their talent. And we can reaffirm to ourselves that Sam is not Jamie except when he’s on the screen, which is what he wants.

As far as wearing a kilt, there are traditional ways of wearing a kilt and non-traditional ways. It is not traditional to wear undergarments with a kilt. (It is not traditional to wear a bra with stays, either.) I think most kilt wearers feel they are honoring their heritage when they try to be authentic as possible. For them, it isn’t a means of advertising their sexual availability, it is a means of declaring that they are Scotsmen and are proud of it. Again, it isn’t a good thing to declare we know what other people’s motivations are unless they’ve told us themselves.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Lady Gwynedd.