Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

TerriP
Participant

I believe he retweeted it. Videos of men displaying women in bikini’s is a whole genre on twitter. It attracts a certain kind of attention and certain assumptions are made of those who do it. It would have attracted the same kind of attention whether or not Sam was in Outlander (just not that magnitude). It just happened to have been posted at the end of the airing season so it contributed to an impression that Sam was okay with a lot of intimacy. It also exacerbated the bleed through between character (a highly sexualize literary object) and the actor that fans were already dealing with.

It was combined with marketing that apparently wasn’t consistent with the actor’s comfort zone. When the audience saw the actors walk out onto on elevated stage and sit down in directors chairs I think it was assumed that the producers were inviting accidents on purpose as part of the advertising and the actors were okay with the risk. Part of the culture of the kilt is does he or doesn’t he. According to my kilt wearing uncle, going authentic, taking that risk, is seen as a mark of not just manhood but a signal that the man is comfortable with being seen as “available” to women (or men). That’s apparently the source of the excitement. He doesn’t have any sympathy for those who complain about peekers (but then he’s of the sort no one wants to peek at – he’s a wishful man). Being a woman, I tend to disagree but I acknowledge that that is part of the current kilt culture. Had the actors been wearing bloomers the audience wouldn’t have been confused about their comfort level. I know you want to go authentic in your promotion of the project but I think an understanding of the full risk of doing so should have been considered. That in a culture where every man wears a kilt, “its an insult to ask what he wears under it,” makes sense. But in a culture where only men who want to advertise their availability go authentic it doesn’t make sense to expect people not to ask or try to sneak a peek.