Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Susan53
Participant

[quote quote=6953]
I personally keep in mind that this much access is a privilege. I like seeing the production of the show, I like that Ron and Terry have opened up so much of this world for us to see. I’m not as interested in the actors personal lives so while I follow them on Twitter I tend to skim it unless it’s directly about Outlander. I never tag them and I don’t even read the responses to them anymore because that can be a scary place. But it is a privilege and it can easily be revoked if it becomes problematic for the participants.
[/quote]

Yes, thank you for this. This is my first dip into any sort of “fandom” and I’ve found myself amazed at the amount of access we have to the process itself due to social media. It’s enhanced the experience in many ways–what a joy to be able to share in “real time” our enthusiasm for all the different elements this show and books make available for us.

But I do so with the awareness that I know I will flinch from time to time at my own discomfort of witnessing the stepping over of boundaries in “real time” more than I would have before. The immediacy makes it all the more unsettling. The access is a privilege, and I can’t help but wonder if, in a way, it makes us feel more accountable for each other (and therefore more critical) for fear that one bad apple ruin it for the whole barrel?