Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

patriciatrish
Participant

I wouldn’t go as far as saying it’s a privilege. Ron, Terry, Sam et. al are in the business of selling a product. Social media is a fact in marketing any product. I will say that they are generous with their time and their work, and let’s face it, they are generous with their fans. I don’t think their generosity should be taken for granted. (Mrs. Parker, can we still be friends even though I disagreed with you on a fine point? I love cheese!)

Topic? Social media has pulled back the curtain on the production and the actors. I agree we have unprecedented access to them and some fans are greedy and want more. But still, these are not people that you know outside of social media and if they never speak to you directly, let’s not try to touch them or photoshop yourself into pictures of them or tell them your deepest darkest fantasies of what you’ll do to them if you ever get them alone in the dark. That’s not fandom, that’s just crazy.

Connie, I love your tumblr, thanks for sharing! I’m glad Diana has noted your humor. It’s not creepy, and even when it’s snarky it’s in good taste. I’d call you an example of an active fan who knows good boundaries.