Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

MrsParker
Participant

[quote quote=6951]I wonder if any of it has to do with folks being on Twitter now that don’t have an idea of basic etiquette, and just go nuts?
[/quote]
I think Twitter and social media in general has a lot to do with it. Social media can create a false sense of intimacy. A person can feel that they have a personal and direct connection to someone they admire, and there’s less censoring of thoughts that were once only confessed amongst friends that you see face to face. It’s all out there for everyone to see.

For the celebrity that is active on social media, there’s more access than ever. Publicity machines have existed since the film industry started in the 1920s. But the mass public only saw what was in magazines, newspapers, news reels and then television appearances. There were personal appearances then as now, but there were more barriers. Social media has offered open access to celebrities (should they choose to be on social media) that is much more intimate.

I personally keep in mind that this much access is a privilege. I like seeing the production of the show, I like that Ron and Terry have opened up so much of this world for us to see. I’m not as interested in the actors personal lives so while I follow them on Twitter I tend to skim it unless it’s directly about Outlander. I never tag them and I don’t even read the responses to them anymore because that can be a scary place. But it is a privilege and it can easily be revoked if it becomes problematic for the participants.